Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L-100A vs L-166

The absolute best speaker you can own, is the one that sounds absolutely the best to you.

Matter of fact, I have several sets, all sound different, and they all sound absolutely the best to me !!

Quote Originally Posted by 3dbdown View Post
    The absolute best speaker you can own, is the one that sounds absolutely the best to you.

Matter of fact, I have several sets, all sound different, and they all sound absolutely the best to me !!
    I agree, except I can't afford every speaker that I think is the best.
    Out.

Yeah, no kiddin' !!

I'm still looking for 250ti's, 4350's and Everest II's with my name on them!

They're all bound to be the best I ever heard......

Quote Originally Posted by 3dbdown View Post

Hey, 3dbdown,

I like the way you're thinking, and couldn't agree more!! Great way to look at it, and so very true, too! Well said! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (and his beloved L300's)!!!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Gregory Earl,
    My situation is the exact opposite of yours. I've had L100a's for the past 30 years and bought a pair of L166's a year ago. I bought the L166's based on a listening experience I had with the 30 years earlier at Leisure World in Baraboo Wisconsin. Until the 166's arrived, I hadn't even seen a pair of L166's in as many years, but they were worth the wait. I keep them stacked with the L100's on top. As much as I have loved the L100's over the years, I really couldn't say I like one pair better than the other. The L100's have a more pronounced midrange than the L166's, but the L166's just seem more smooth neutral overall. Taste is subjective and opinions vary, but I truly enjoy them both and switch back and forth regularly. I don't plan on ever parting with either pair. Enjoy your "new" speakers. Gino

Quote Originally Posted by Gino View Post
    The L100's have a more pronounced midrange than the L166's, but the L166's just seem more smooth neutral overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gino View Post
    ...but I truly enjoy them both and switch back and forth regularly. I don't plan on ever parting with either pair.
    Cool!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I have both, prefer the L166...
    Yessir, especially if it has had the 128H swapped-in. Yummy...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

fascination white woofers

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Yessir, especially if it has had the 128H swapped-in. Yummy...
    I did try this once, last summer..

Not the best pic but the only one I have. Alas, I had to let those 128H's go again, with the L112's they belonged to.

Wouldn't mind to find a pair separately.
    Last edited by Fangio; 11-08-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: more discreet link

Smile My Experience Of The Century

I've been listening to them for a week now. First impressions I'm sad to say were disappointing. I was depressed. Highs and midrange were not what I remembered from the 166's. I played with the presence and brilliance controls to no avail. My biggest disappointment was the bass. That big classic JBL bass I had heard at my friends house just was not there. What's the problem I thought?

So I pondered on it the other night while listening to a Joe Walsh record. And then it hit me. My buddy was pushing his Horizon's with an Onkyo Integra 504. That's 165 watts per side. I was pushing these with an old Onkyo A8017 rated at 75 watts per channel.

So I hooked the L100's up to a Conrad Johnson 2200 that I just recently received. That's 200 per side. The punch I was missing?

HELLO! The bass was improved drastically. Not low down 20Hz deep bass, but hard thumping bass. Mids and highs had more separation and was clearer. Now that's the JBL sound I remember.

Though I do agree with those who say the 166 is a better over all speaker (I'm guessing it's due to the crossover and tweeter) the L100's certainly are not far behind. They just yearn what they were created for. In the right size room (smaller) and with the right amp, the Century certainly from what I can hear, has rightly earned it's legendary reputation.

To fill in the blank, I used a CJ PV-11 for the front end....tube magic. So it certainly was a night and day experience after spending a few days with the A8017.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Earl View Post

Though I do agree with those who say the 166 is a better over all speaker (I'm guessing it's due to the crossover and tweeter) the L100's certainly are not far behind. They just yearn what they were created for. In the right size room (smaller) and with the right amp, the Century certainly from what I can hear, has rightly earned it's legendary reputation.
    I agree. So many detractors of certain speakers put them in the wrong room, in the wrong place in the room, and with the wrong power source, then write how crappy the speakers are.
    Out.

VOTT
    "We take great care with our recordings to provide all the musical subtleties which permit the fullest expression of the artist. We use JBL components as the reference source for mixing our master tapes because they offer the greatest articulation of sound. They tell us better than any other loudspeaker exactly what is on the master tape."

Lee Herschberg, Director of Recording and Engineering, Warner Bros. Records.

That is from the back of a "Superecord" vinyl. So that may be from the mid seventies, but that is quite a statement. A lot has changed since then, like I wonder if many studios are still mixing with JBL professional series speakers since JBL domestic no longer mirrors their pro counterpart.

Thread Information