Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4343' S On The Way!

Exactly,

The TL074 are a cross b/n the all fets stuff like the 2134 and the 5532, firmer bass but still smooth. It depends on the application, if you needs gain and drive , the 5532 are the bees knees as no at all expensive and easy to use.

The beauty of discrete buffers is they can be optimised for the task at hand, unlike the generic opamps.

I plan to set up a design for our 43xx & 44xx monitors, fixed crossover points with idealised voltage drives as required, minimalist stages with high quality parts and a 2/3 way version with full adjustability for those who like to mix and match drivers.

The Bryston stuff is excellent, I anticipate this will in the same league.

Should have something tangible on the table by summer.

Ian

I have a crossover, my RLA X-3000, that uses TLO72,s and other engineers upgraded to the 5532. Its a simple plug in procedure and the 5532,s are inexpensive. The sound using the 5532,s does have drive, but is not as sweet sounding as the TLO72.

My Urei 1620 and Urei 525 uses either the TLO74 or 84. The TLO84 sounds the best to me because it has a solid presence and oomph and growl on the bottom. I gone back and forth a thousand times, and I have learned what it is I like.

I substituted BB ic,s for the TLO74/84,s in the Urei, pinouts are identical, so its a simple procedure, and heres what I hear each time I try them. The bass is firmer using BB ic,s and there is more definition. But compared to the TLO84 it sounds rolled off in the extreme bottom. The midbass and midrange have very solid presence, but is too forward for my taste. The TLO,s are more laid back and give the illusion of depth. The BB ic sounds coarse in the top end. This I truly DID NOT care for. The TLO84 has a pleasant coloration that I DO like! My opinion is that there are in fact components that sound very exact and are highly accurate, more so than things from the past, but, for whatever reason, make music not as fun to listen to. The BB ic,s remind me of the CURRENT high end sound. Analytical, ruthlessly revealing, very accurate, and very boring! This is my particualr take on things, and no one has to share my exact veiws on things, but its how I do!

Years and years of doing audio, both for entertainment ( buisiness ) and home listening, I have come to the conclusion that while we do have the ability to keep all forms of colorations and distortions to a very bare minimum, its not always totally beneficial! Certain things make music sound realistic, natural, and enjoyable.

Again, I am not knocking anybody for what they do or do not like, this is just one mans opinion!

Well, this thread is going way off-topic and I may start some flames here...... maybe we should move out of here....
    Personally speaking, a well laid out design with high performance op-amps, low impedance well regulated power, etc. can sound as neutral as any discrete or tube circuit.

Now I'll run for cover

Well its like the food we eat,we all try to cut out the fat and eat healthy. But it tastes like crap!!!

Thread Information