Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sam1hf / sam2lf

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Obsolete

sam1hf / sam2lf

Mr. Widget,

Have you had a chance to hear these yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete

Obsolete
    SAM12X

Array 800 DIY crossover project

Ed,

I reviewed the link you referred me to. Very impressive testing results and process! I don't have that equipment unfortunately. You seem to have a great deal of experience and knowledge about audio measurements and this equipment to accomplish it. Unfortunately, I don't really have a crossover to test. The HF units I picked up did not have any crossover with them. I am still trying to find any information about the crossover for these speakers. I know they are not as exciting as the Array 1400, but they should be very similar - just a bit smaller. The HF units I have from the Array 800 have a small plug with four wires coming out of the HF unit. They are not marked as to which driver they are attached to. Apparently they plugged into another matching receptacle in the bass unit. I am sure the crossover is mounted in the bass unit, but I did not get that part in the deal. So, I am left trying to figure out what the JBL engineers originally decided was the best combination of components in that crossover to achieve the best sound. I thought with all the combined knowledge of JBL engineers, audio experts, and so many others with so much experience here on this site - someone would know what the crossover was in the Array 800, or how I could build one. I do have several DBX crossovers and EQ's. I have many JBL crossovers and a lot of UREI and Ashly Pro equipment as well as a few pieces from Rane, EV, DuKane, Pioneer, Luxman, Accuphase, and Nikko. I even have an old JBL ES52000, but no "modern" evaluation equipment. Most of my equipment and speakers are just like me - old and not quite up to current standards.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi,

Nope. I'm still trying to figure it all out as well...just documenting my experience. But thank-you.

It's funny. I have all the gear required to match the 1400 Array Voltage Drive curves digitally but I find myself actually fighting the internal crossover on my horns. In a way I'd rather be in your boat faced with two pairs of wires dangling out of the back. lol

Looks like you're going to have to figure out which are which and set up an active three way system but I don't think you'll be able to do that with analogue gear. Those compression drivers usually require a funky curve to them to get the response flattened; more tuning required than what just an analogue active crossover can provide, I believe.

Crossover frequencies are listed here as well as driver identities. Have you searched this site for info on the 175ND?

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/tl_files...ray%201000.pdf
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Sorry, just realized it was the Array 800 in your possession.

175ND-3

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/tl_files...al%20Specs.pdf

Looks like the HF/UHF schematic is in the above PDF.

If you have the resources to find someone to build you a pair you could then match to a woofer of your choosing using your analog crossovers into the freshly built passive crossover feeding the horn.
    Last edited by Ed Zeppeli; 09-22-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: to add
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Mr. Widget,

Have you had a chance to hear these yet?
    Nope.

But I hope to... it looks like that passive network could be upgraded to a CC'd Solen network ā la the Everest II. I guess they expect most users to use the active filtering in the SDEC 4000 Active crossover and filter system.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I guess they expect most users to use the active filtering in the SDEC 4000 Active crossover and filter system.
    I think so.

Obsolete

sam3va & sam3ha

Has anyone run across these yet?

Neat! Aluminum domes and cones on the midbass drivers and dual neo magnets...
    Out.

Does anybody know off-hand the crossover frequency of the SAM12X from woofer module into SAM1HF?

The downloaded literature doesn't give that spec. I'd imagine it to be around 700-800Hz similar to Array but need specifics for my SAM1HF project.

Thanks much,

Warren

Array 800 crossover

Ed,

Thanks for the link. I don't know why I never found that in my searches. I looked at everything I could find on this site, and I thought that I had found most of any other related info on the interweb. Of course that was a while ago. Anyway, I can certainly use that information. I will call Harmon Service, even though I have never had a good result from that effort in the past. Greg T. was still designing speakers and working for JBL the last time I got any real help from JBL.

I do have a couple of Behringer products that might help:
    Behringer Super-X Pro
    Behringer Super-X Pro
    BG Neo 8
    BK 2120 Oscilloscope
    Brnngr Feedback Destroyer
    Brnngr MX2200
    BrnngrCX2310
    BrnngrCX2310
    BrnngrCX3400

Array Crossovers

I was looking for information on Array 800 crossovers and found this thread. It is very interesting and I would like to know how your modifications turned out.

I purchased the top end of a pair off JBL Array 800's a year ago or so as a possible system build. I had thought of using a pair of HP88F woofers that I had picked up in another purchase around the same time to use as the bottom end. I thought that I could build a box to house a pair of those woofers and use the Array 800 HF horns on top. I don't have the crossover to the Array 800 horns and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to match these horns to these woofers with a 3-way crossover? Would the original passive crossover for the 800 system work properly, (if one could even be found)? Or, do I need to tri-amp this system with an outboard active crossover?

Thanks for your reply.

I've re-configured my system and am revisiting my set-up.

I am interested in what the SAM12X is doing but thought another way to analyze it would be to possibly download the tuning file from Synthesis for the SAM1/2 crossover/eq functions.

I can't find where those are available or if they are readable to interpret into my dbx unit.

I realize the tunings are meant for sdec or bss units but maybe there is a way to convert them to text and go from there...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Crossovers and response

I see that you are still working on your DIY project. Have you been able to find the appropriate crossover application for these systems? Are you still using the Rane crossover for your speakers? I made an inquiry relative to your project 7 months ago, but no one on the site seemed interested in my question. I really don't know where else to go to find the specific information needed to finish my little speaker project. I hope you have better luck than I have getting information about these horns.

Thread Information