Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le5-10 cone repair

Le5-10 cone repair

I have had my L110s' for 30 yrs. last night my idiot friend threw a nip bottle and hit a midrange (le5-10) there is a small tear of the cone about 1" long coming from the surround towards the dust cap. Any repair advice?? I was thinking superglue.

Easy enough to replace off eBay. You could use LE5-6, 8, 10 or 12. I would not repair, but replace or re-cone.

I would snap this up if I were you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230298777796

They usually go for $30-40.

Quote Originally Posted by infinityQ2 View Post
    I have had my L110s' for 30 yrs. last night my idiot friend threw a nip bottle and hit a midrange (le5-10) there is a small tear of the cone about 1" long coming from the surround towards the dust cap. Any repair advice?? I was thinking superglue.
    My son, who is normally a bright college student, was moving his/my L1's and placed them face down in the van....I came over to help unload and was taken back that he did not care for them properly...the LF and MF drivers had rips like you describe.....I just took the refoaming white glue , after smoothing all surfaces down, and made about an inch circle over the rips, let dry , and then did the same thing on rear side of driver.....could not hear any difference, looks crappy, but he keeps the grills on anyway...He doesnt get anymore, until I see a little more maturity.

Maybe L1's are bulletproof, as I've seen many mistreated and still playing ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Easy enough to replace off eBay. You could use LE5-6, 8, 10 or 12. I would not repair, but replace or re-cone.
    Is there a noticeable difference between the(le5-10) and the (le5-6)?? Thanks for the tip on the ebay auction, great deal..

Quote Originally Posted by infinityQ2 View Post
    Is there a noticeable difference between the(le5-10) and the (le5-6)?? Thanks for the tip on the ebay auction, great deal..
    The 6, 8, 10 and 12 are identical. Only difference is the finish on the frame.

That item has a repaired dust cover. I was going to put a single LE5-6 up on fleabay this week, I'll PM you with the details if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    The 6, 8, 10 and 12 are identical. Only difference is the finish on the frame.
    The LE5-6 frame front is not brushed smooth like the LE5-10. It also has the round cast marks on the face of the frame otherwise it is identical acoustically to the LE5-10.
    I painted the bright aluminum frame fronts on a pair of LE5-12's a flat black to use in a pair of L110's. No one will ever know that they were LE5-12's unless they are removed from the cabinet.

I have repaired torn LE5-10 cones with the same glue used to glue surrounds to cones. I try to use the least amount of glue as possible. I can't hear any audible difference between one I've repaired and a good one. Although someone else may be able to. The repaired cone doesn't look as good, since the glue has a shiny appearance.

Larry

We did this bandaid thing alot on the road, when necessary. A little scrap of paper front and back of cone and some elmer's glue.

Good enough until a full recone.

Not prissy perfect, but reasonable.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

dblaxter

le5-10 recone kit

hi are you interersted in a real kit or just a replacement driver ??,i have both

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    The LE5-6 frame front is not brushed smooth like the LE5-10. It also has the round cast marks on the face of the frame otherwise it is identical acoustically to the LE5-10.
    I painted the bright aluminum frame fronts on a pair of LE5-12's a flat black to use in a pair of L110's. No one will ever know that they were LE5-12's unless they are removed from the cabinet.

I have repaired torn LE5-10 cones with the same glue used to glue surrounds to cones. I try to use the least amount of glue as possible. I can't hear any audible difference between one I've repaired and a good one. Although someone else may be able to. The repaired cone doesn't look as good, since the glue has a shiny appearance.

Larry
    Apparently, as with many things JBL, there are anomalies. I have a black-faced LE5-6 sitting here with a brushed (machined) face, no casting marks, nor rivets on the magnet. It must be worth at least a grand for this unique configuration! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    That item has a repaired dust cover. I was going to put a single LE5-6 up on fleabay this week, I'll PM you with the details if you'd like.
    That would be great thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post

Larry

I used the surround glue but only on the back of the cone, worked great, tear almost not noticeable in front, thanks for the advice guys, Mike.

LE5-2 repair

I've a pair of LE5-2 mid driver. One of them is damaged-the voice coil burnt left. I've read that the JBL made it with round-wire and ribbon-wire too, am I right? How can I know, what is in my driver? Could it be repaired?
    Does anyone have engineering design specification for it?

"I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information