Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Large format HF drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    I'm probably getting lost in concurrent discussions of three different systems here, but Jerv's system uses a different XO frequency, HF driver, and horn than 4673. Ultimately, you've got to start someplace, and I've documented at least a half-dozen trips down this path in these forums.

I'm kinda with the member formerly known as Giskard on this stuff. It was fun the first couple of times, but, in the end, it's obvious nobody gives a flying whit....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12420
    I do read your threads with great interest Zilch. As I read it the 4673 uses 2225 and 2445 in a 2-way setup. I also want to use 2225 and 2445 in a 2-way setup. I just want to use 2350 horns instead, which if I listen to all above, might not need quite as much HF boost as the Constant Directivity horns. I misread Jervs post 2425 for 2445 (too many numbers ).
    The reason for choosing 500hz x-over frequency, is because it sounded very good on my JBL S8 system and because JBL chose to use it in the 4673 speaker.
    I will keep searching, and not bother you any more, sorry
    Vernb

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    The reason for choosing 500hz x-over frequency, is because it sounded very good on my JBL S8 system and because JBL chose to use it in the 4673 speaker.
    And I'm saying that pretty much anything would sound better than those old solutions. JBL was very well known throughout the industry back in the days of the S8 for putting really nice transducers with marginally acceptable filters.
    I will keep searching, and not bother you any more, sorry
    I don't think you're bothering anyone. We're just tossing out suggestions. I won't bother doing an equivalent circuit for the LX5 like Zilch asked because the network isn't worth the trouble. It just isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I don't think you're bothering anyone. We're just tossing out suggestions. I won't bother doing an equivalent circuit for the LX5 like Zilch asked because the network isn't worth the trouble. It just isn't.
    So basically, now that you know my exact components: 2225 (8ohm), 2445 (16 ohm, but really 12) and the 2350 horns. What crossover frequency would you recommend? I tried 800hz in the S8 system as well, also good. But as said earlier, I would like a x-over layout that I can actually build myself, no L-pads and no tapped inductors. I like using passive filters.
    This is only my second project, and that is why I am still very slow/inexperienced.

Thanks

Vernb

Obsolete
    What crossover frequency would you recommend?
    I don't know where your drivers want to cross over.

Here's an example:

2122H and 2307/2308/2421B wired in parallel with an 8 ohm L-Pad on the 2421B to adjust its output to match the output of the 2122H. Notice where the 1st notch is? That's where the crossover frequency should probably be. This was done in a huge hurry so I would check everything several more times before going with it. Furthermore I don't know if a "classic" filter would yield the results I want. I might want one pole on the 2122H set at something like 800 Hz and the second pole set at something like 950 Hz, whatever would yield the best summed response. That's why traditional active filters don't always give the best result either (As an example look at the voltage drive specification for the active filter used to bi-amp the Everest II). With a DSP you can do alot more.

I believe JBL set the acoustic crossover between the 2122H and 2307/2308/2421B at 1.3 kHz in the 4345. Different baffle arrangement than this example and they measured a little bit further away as well.
    I like using passive filters.
    I understand that. They can be very nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Since I already have build S3100 x-over (crossing over at 750hz), I might just try that for the fun of it and see how it sounds. Biggest problem is probably that the 2225 is less efficient than 1400PRO and 2445 higher efficient than 276nd that I use, but since the x-over is biampable I can compensate for this with the amps.
    vernb

Obsolete
    Since I already have build S3100 x-over (crossing over at 750hz), I might just try that for the fun of it and see how it sounds.
    Ok, let us know what you think.

Sorry 4313, I didn't see your post until after I had posted mine. I sort of see your point.
    Vernb

[quote=Zilch;224602
    it's obvious nobody gives a flying whit....
    [/quote]

Yes they do!

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=270-204

A link to the horn I'm planning to use is above. My cabinet width is a tad narrow so the 15 inch horn width fits OK.
    Uhmmm, says it's 17.7" wide. 2380A is a tad narrower at 17.5", actually, at least the one I just measured.

So, with the horn I'm planning to use with the 2425, the HF roll-off would be significant and would require a tweeter like a 075, 077 or 2402, etc?
    Uhmmm, 2425 or 2445?

If you use the "correct" components, it'll likely be better than your repackaged SR4725s, even without supplemental UHF.

As I read it the 4673 uses 2225 and 2445 in a 2-way setup. I also want to use 2225 and 2445 in a 2-way setup. I just want to use 2350 horns instead, which if I listen to all above, might not need quite as much HF boost as the Constant Directivity horns.
    Correct, apparently.

I will keep searching, and not bother you any more, sorry.
    Nah, it's me (and others) doin' the bothering.

I would like a x-over layout that I can actually build myself, no L-pads and no tapped inductors.
    Not gonna happen, thus far, nope.

... too late to split this into separate threads?

2" horn lenses for 2445H

Oh yeh, these are the horns I will be using.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...TOKEN=96477069

But why do we need this Chinese junk when Uncle Canuck can sell you a pair of proper JBL ones for $80ea.....provided Scott in Alaska doesn't take them first

...my furniture grade cabinets are really narrow and the horns I'm using just barely fit. They are supposed to go down to 500 which is my starting point cross.

What are the outside measurements of the JBL 2" horn including width, height, and depth? (inches - no metrics understood here please.)

Thx...

RIP 2009
    What are the outside measurements of the JBL 2" horn including width, height, and depth? (inches - no metrics understood here please.)
    Current measurements can be found at the jblpro website - I don't know if they'll have those original 2380 specs though...

John

...my furniture grade cabinets are really narrow and the horns I'm using just barely fit. They are supposed to go down to 500 which is my starting point cross.

Thx...
    Mine are 17.5" X 11"
    On their way to Alaska once I get off my butt & find a way to ship them.
    Nobody understands metric here either...don't worry there

Thread Information