Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Large format HF drivers

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    I am not sure if Zilch meant that there is already CD comp. in the good old LX5 filters? Do I actually need it with the 2445 on my 2350 horns?

Why isn't there any CD comp. in the 4673 (3115 x-over)?
    If there is HF comp in LX5, somebody'll have to show me where.

I don't know 2350 from a hole in the ground, but I would guess it needs HF comp, yes.

4673 uses 3115A WITH comp. I thought I clarified that above.... :dont-know

I agree with Vernb.

Kind of a waste of a 2425 above 5k. Why not just go to a slot? (or 2404 baby butt cheek tweeter?)

I can see where there are many differing opinions here that all need to be discussed.

In my operation, I am looking for a multi-purpose speaker box that will take care of a small 30' x 30' dance floor that is jam packed every weekend. This would not be considered true hi-fi, just good old bump and sizzle with a wide variety of musical input devices...cd's, mp3's and such.

I have 2441 and 2445 drivers and 2380 horns available also; but thought that was just over-kill in a single 15" + horn + tweet box for this little space. Subs are already in the room for oomph.

Question: With this is mind, does the 4507 box have enough room to encase these three items, 2225+2445/2380+2402, and do the job well? Or is a larger enclosure needed?

Scotty.

ps. I never intended to hijack someone's thread, and if I did...I am very sorry!!!
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

2350 is a radial horn, somewhat self-equalizing on-axis... Applying generic constant-
    directivity compensation would probably not be optimum. Compensating for the HF
    limitations of the 2445 might be helpful if done mildly. When used as an element of a
    2-way system, passive or active crossover and essentially no EQ, I preferred the 2446
    driver... this was outside, mid-throw, party-time .

2380 will fit in 4507, but you've either got to move the woofer/port location down a bit or notch the bottom 2380 flange.

Should be able to find a layout that will fit 2402 in there, as well....

The "A" series of 31xx crossovers has two switchable HF comp contours available:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/obsolete/3105-3115A.pdf

CRAP! They screwed up the pdf and it doesn't show the curves.

They're posted elsewhere in these forums, though....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...t=3838&p=41315

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...t=3838&p=42419

scotty,

I'd think you'd want more 15" drivers... the 4507 w/ one driver doesn't really
    keep up with the 244x/2380 in my experience... atop a 4560 is a different case, but then
    low bass can be an issue.

(unless planning on getting the 4507's off the floor, putting the horn inside might
    protect it, but won't get the sound up to where it's needed).

Thanks for the comeback.

The boxes are hung from the 9' ceiling where I have unistrut everywhere for lighting cables...etc.

I am still thinking of the 4507 with a 2425/2370 and a bullet. I have all of the parts, and would probably biamp this box at 800-1200hz, then use a 3106 between the 2425 and 2402. Or triamp with a dbx 234.

I believe this would give me the best bang for my buck that will fit the space available. I keep thinking of the 4333 monitor and how well that works. I just don't have 2311 or 2312 horns and lenses, but have 8 2425/2370 combos on my shelf.

think that'd be a more natural cab match, w/ or w/o the bullet. Lots 'o dj cabs were built with
    essentially those parts (15" bottom, 2370+driver on top) and sounded pretty good in
    that environment.

Thanks Grumpy!!!

That's all I needed!!

scotty.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post

4673 uses 3115A WITH comp. I thought I clarified that above.... :dont-know
    Yes, thats right, I was mistaken. So basically I could build 3115a. I might do that.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    2350 is a radial horn, somewhat self-equalizing on-axis... Applying generic constant-
    directivity compensation would probably not be optimum. Compensating for the HF
    limitations of the 2445 might be helpful if done mildly. .
    Dumb ass me. I thought CD comp. meant Compression Driver (HF roll off) compensation, not constant directivity.

So with this in mind, and what I read from the 4430 literature, basically the compression drivers do not roll off, but the horns they are on do, or at least some of them.

Dumb ass me. I thought CD comp. meant Compression Driver (HF roll off) compensation, not constant directivity.

So with this in mind, and what I read from the 4430 literature, basically the compression drivers do not roll off, but the horns they are on do, or at least some of them.
    No, it's the compression drivers that roll off. Some horns like exponentials compensate for that by progressively beaming the HF energy. Constant directivity horns do not. Other types may be intermediate....

Yes, thats right, I was mistaken. So basically I could build 3115a. I might do that.
    We seem to be going around and around here. The PROBLEM is that 3115A, like LX5, uses a tapped autotransformer, not available. That's why I did the "Equivalent" number, above....

Oh, they roll off... The CD horn response just looks more like the plane-wave
    tube response. The radial horn family sort of gives the response a 'lift'.

(Z beat me to it )

To clear up some things here I will explain that I want to use my upcoming 2-ways in my home stereo for music in a room 13x15 foot.

The reason of my idea of using 2426 (on 2345 horns) as HF over the 2482 mids (in a possible 3-way), was that I don't have any 2405 or 2404, and they are a bit pricy, and I already have the 2426 that I haven't been able to sell.
    And in my first DIY (see my avatar) they are being used all the way up to 20.000hz without problems (it is really 276ND but that is the same unit with a different magnet as I see them). So I thought they would do fine as HF over the 2482 that doesn't go any higher than 6000hz. The 2426 also have higher sensitivity than 2404, to match that of 2482

Vernb

Does sound like fun, and having parts makes it possible (vs. chatting about it).

Might have some weirdness in that the pattern on the 2350 will start to narrow up
    as frequency rises, then you crossover to the 2345 and it pops wide(er) again.
    Worth looking at patterns vs. frequency when deciding on crossover frequencies
    and slopes.

Time alignment might be difficult to achieve without introducing other problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    We seem to be going around and around here. The PROBLEM is that 3115A, like LX5, uses a tapped autotransformer, not available. That's why I did the "Equivalent" number, above....
    Sorry. I am not sure I understand what a tapped autotransformer is. Anyway I looked in your linked threads and think I understand a little of the problem, but I still can't find a 500hz crossover layout, with HF boost, but no tapped autotransformer and no L-pads.

Can I actually just use my JBL S3100 x-over and replace the values to lower the x-over point?
    That filter sounds very good to me on my 1400PRO/276ND DIY and in the S3100 speakers too.
    I don't know if 1" drivers roll of in the same way as 2" drivers do???

Thread Information