Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweet Soundcraftsmen Score

Regis
    oooooo! Lotsa LED's!!!

Doug, congratulations - that is amazing! I'm glad it was you - your pedantic attention to photo-documentation was perfect, right down to the age-faded tape on the packaging!! Hilarious!

I too, just migrated to a pre-amp with separate power supply. I am very impressed with the improved sound. Getting that power supply positioned away from the audio signal path has material positive impacts.

Waiting for your reports...!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Kinda sad the first thing MTX got rid of were the grounded outlets. Though I guess they started that on their made-in-Japan pre-receiver lineup even before the MTX buy-out. Crown did the same thing on their "consumer" lines of amps and preamps, too. Even more strange for them.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    your pedantic attention to photo-documentation was perfect,
    It was a rare chance to see a long discontinued product line as it appeared when brand new. Documentation was critical.

You may not know (or care) but I was the VP of the Board of a County Historical Society for a number of years and even authored a book (The History of Van Buren County), and did an oral history project accompanied by volumes of photographs.

History in any form has value and deserves some notice. Old JBls, Altecs, and Lansings are included (even if I do make fun of them from time to time) and so in this case are Soundcraftsmen electronics that drive them.

Call me a pedant if you must, but I like to think of myself as a visual preservationist.
    Out.

Evening, TiDome,

Outstanding score, my Friend!!! Well done!!! The only Soundcraftsmen goodie I own is an AS1000 Scan-alyzer RTA. I need to get it back out and use it, just for fun. Got mine with it's original microphone, too, which is nice. But, I'd sure like a nice EQ from them, one of these days, to match my black-faced AS-1000.

Again, you got a wonderful deal, and I'm really happy for you, Mate!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    The only Soundcraftsmen goodie I own is an AS1000 Scan-alyzer RTA. I need to get it back out and use it, just for fun. Got mine with it's original microphone, too, which is nice.
    Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Sure wish I could find an original Mic for my AS1000!

Anyone know where I can find one? I've looked and looked....

Pete

Hi, Pete,

Do you need the model numbers, or any other information about the original mic? If so, I can drag mine out and send along whatever you might need, information-wise. Just let me know. It's a battery-operated jobby, and works very well, indeed. Take care, and God Bless!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

That'd be the SAM II (Sound Analyzer Microphone, version two), an omnidirectional electret mic.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Call me a pedant if you must, but I like to think of myself as a visual preservationist.
    It was well done!

While not new-in-box or as historic, I did receive today a Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four power amp and Pro-Control-Four pre-amp in their original boxes with original owner's manuals and certificate of performance. The matching third-octave Pro-EQ-44 will be arriving soon. The Pro-Power performance is listed at 215 WPC at 8-ohms and 357 WPC at 4-ohms. They're in great shape, arrived from Canada via the post office incredibly well-packed. As far as I can tell, these are some of the last Soundcraftsmen models made in USA that don't carry the MTX logo. These were sold directly by Soundcraftsmen in May of 1991. By serial number, the Pro-Control-Four appears much earlier than my other one, but looks identical. I look forward to my first experience with a Soundcraftsmen amp, though these will put me at ten pieces of Soundcraftsmen equipment, including one RP2217 I've owned since new back somewhere in the '70s.

No price stickers on these boxes that I can see but, according to a 1989 price list Soundcraftsmen sent to me back then, the Pro-Power-Four listed for $849 and the Pro-Control-Four for $699 at that time. While I paid a bit more than T-dome for my purchase, I did get three items (used) for a bit more than twice what he paid, including shipping from Canada. I may be a bottom feeder but even I get tired of waiting to steal something I've always wanted, and sometimes you just have to say, "What the heck!"

Regis
    Great score nonetheless! I love the Soundcraftsmen equipment. Smooth MOSFET sound, a ton of headroom and built-to-the-hilt. It is a shame they are gone. The Santa Ana company was a paragon example of American Manufacturing of great quality at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis View Post
    Smooth MOSFET sound, a ton of headroom and built-to-the-hilt.
    Great kick in the bottom but I'm chasing what to me sounds like a bit of inaccuracy in reproduction of some female voices. I'm swapping amps back and forth like crazy. I'll have to swap pre-amps next but, after years of lusting after a big Soundcraftsmen amp, I'm pretty much convinced the Crown PS-400 knocks it off the pedastal. I'm guessing it'd make a dyn-O-mite sub amp though. It's a gut-buster on the kick drum. Too bad I don't have a sub!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Great kick in the bottom but I'm chasing what to me sounds like a bit of inaccuracy in reproduction of some female voices. I'm swapping amps back and forth like crazy. I'll have to swap pre-amps next but, after years of lusting after a big Soundcraftsmen amp, I'm pretty much convinced the Crown PS-400 knocks it off the pedastal. I'm guessing it'd make a dyn-O-mite sub amp though. It's a gut-buster on the kick drum. Too bad I don't have a sub!
    Sounds like a good amp for the bottom of a biamped setup ...
    Your best amp goes on the high split where you can hear distortions more easily ..
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Sounds like a good amp for the bottom of a biamped setup ...
    Your best amp goes on the high split where you can hear distortions more easily ..
    I'm thinking I've got too many amps . . . or is that not enough speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'm thinking I've got too many amps . . . or is that not enough speakers?
    If you have spare amps you are not using,
    it would be not enough speakers ...

You need Horns my friend ... we should find you a pair of cheap L200s, 4333s or similar ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information