Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL s3100 vs Array 1400-any thoughts?

JBL s3100 vs Array 1400-any thoughts?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a clear pair of S3100s being offered to me. I have originally set my sights on the array 1400...

Im just curious how both compares. I will appreciate any thoughts from anyone who had heard both or is familiar with the sound of either..

thanks in advance...i love this forum...very informative.

cheers

S3100

As a owner of a pair of S3100s, imho they are excellent speakers. A few years ago I traded a pair of L300s for a pair of S3100s, am glad I did, not that there was anything wrong with the L300s. S3100 are hard to find. I have not heard the 1400s, but I bet they sound good too. I don't think you can go wrong with either or both.

I have done some listening to the 1400's. IMO they are great speakers, but require a good amplifier to controll the woofers. They sound very smooth and detailed, and never get harsh, unless bad matching with amp/room.

The S3100 i have not heard.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by roy55 View Post
    A few years ago I traded a pair of L300s for a pair of S3100s, am glad I did...
    As the S3100 is a newer and more refined speaker than the L300, the Array 1400 is again a newer and more refined speaker...

All three are fine systems, however with the L300 you cannot escape the fact that you are listening to horns... the S3100 is better in this regard, the Array 1400 defies belief. If you don't see it, you'll never guess it is a horn loudspeaker... yet it is still dynamically capable and offers the musical experience of a true JBL.

Widget

hey guys,

thank you for the inputs...appreciate it..cheers

i have actually heard the 1400s on an extensive listen and was quite impressed by it....i thought if the s3100 could approximate that sound, then it would be a good choice and a wise investment..

Quote Originally Posted by polar_bear_0104 View Post
    i have actually heard the 1400s on an extensive listen and was quite impressed by it....i thought if the s3100 could approximate that sound, then it would be a good choice and a wise investment..
    There have been some amazing deals on Audiogon on the Array 1400s... I think that would be your best investment.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    There have been some amazing deals on Audiogon on the Array 1400s... I think that would be your best investment.

Widget
    Setting aside prices, is the s3100 worth the ownership? I'm being offered a very clean pair, hardly used and in storage for a long time after being shipped over from hong kong.

I've had a few JBLs in the past -L100t, my first branded speakers as a teenager in 1987, then in the mid 90s, I had the L40 and L90 from JBL Europe(Denmark)....all are still within the family..though not much used as I have also ventured into various "high-end" brands..

The array 1400 I thought would be my JBL purchase for this decade, until this S3100 opportunity..

thanks again for all your thoughts

Setting aside prices...
    The Array 1400 is simply a remarkable JBL achievement. You have to decide what you want.

Widget

Setting aside prices, ...
    Have you ever considered the special sound stage of the S3100? There is more than the simple alternativ between narrow and wide.

S3100

"SPECIAL SOUND STAGE" good way to put it. You don't need a center speaker.

Array 1400

I've had Array 1400's for a short while now and I can only confirm what amazing speakers they are. I previously used either 4333's or an older C50SM S8 system and the 1400's are a quantum leap forward. They do require amplifiers that don't fold under difficult loads though.

Oh, almost forgot to mention. the wife loves them and even bought me a new pair of amps to power them!

thanks guys for the replies....

hey andywin, what amps did u mate the 1400's? i heard it powered by a lowly 40 watt el34 amp, great mids and highs but not surprisingly, the lows were loose and wobly...

cheers

thanks guys for the replies....

hey andywin, what amps did u mate the 1400's? i heard it powered by a lowly 40 watt el34 amp, great mids and highs but not surprisingly, the lows were loose and wobly...

cheers
    Initially I tried the amps I had used with the older JBL's. Both Leak TL12+ and TL25+ struggled with the bass. I also have a SET amp that uses a PE1/100 transmitting valve that puts out about 18 watts that faired better but was still a little loose. A NAD 50 watt amp was better in the bass but lost out in the mid /top.
    I tried a Musical Fidelity KW550 on demo and it was near perfect, maybe lacking a little in warmth that a valve amp has. I then looked at the MF 550K supercharger. This is essentially the same amp as the KW550 but has the ability to be driven by the output of another amp as it has both high and low level inputs. This will then allow me to experiment driving it with one or other of the valve amps as it presents an easy load and regain some of that warmth, but still be able to control the bass. My wife quite liked the look of the amps too, and bought them for me as an early birthday present.

the lows were loose and wobly...
    I heard a demo with two MARANTZ MA 9S2 (300W at 8 Ohm; 150 A peak), there were no flaws in the bass of the Array 1400.

Thread Information