Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2405: Real difference between 8 Ohms and 16 Ohms..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Not only are there no sonic differences, there is no difference except for the printed label. All 2405s and 077s are the same. They are approximately 10 ohms.

Widget
    Hi Mr. Widget,

sorry for my stupid question, from a no techinician JBL user: having a pair of loudspeakers with the 2405 (4343's, 4345's),
    I can to replace them with a pair of 077's crystal tweeters, without electric/sonic problems?

Thanks.
    Ezio

Quote Originally Posted by mvaldes View Post
    Ezio,
    on the "VideoHifi" forum I gave you the same answers you got here....
    Hope you'll enjoy your 2405 with peace of mind, regardless the impedance label...
    cheers

Michele
    Ciao Michele,
    only now I seen the answers to this thread and your reply...
    Thank you, my mind is in peace, but curious, and don't understand why JBL made two different stickers for same item...
    Ciao e grazie.
    Ezio

Quote Originally Posted by eziodoc View Post
    Thank you, my mind is in peace, but curious, and don't understand why JBL made two different stickers for same item...
    We can only speculate, but back in the '60s most systems were 16 ohms to better mate with tube electronics later 8 ohms became the favorite to better mate with solid state... the 077/2405 will work well with both, but consumers don't always understand that sort of thing.

I can to replace them with a pair of 077's crystal tweeters, without electric/sonic problems?
    Absolutely... there is no sonic difference.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    We can only speculate, but back in the '60s most systems were 16 ohms to better mate with tube electronics later 8 ohms became the favorite to better mate with solid state... the 077/2405 will work well with both, but consumers don't always understand that sort of thing.

Absolutely... there is no sonic difference.

Widget
    ....also electrical absolute compatibility?....
    So I can replace a pair of 2405's 16 Ohms wit a pair of 077 8 Ohms, without any problem?

Thank you for all answers..
    Ezio

....also electrical absolute compatibility?
    Yes, yes, yes!!!

There has always only been one diaphragm for both of these drivers. JBL has never sold an alternative for the 077 and 2405. They have always used the exact same unit. The only difference between the 077 and any alnico version of the 2405 is that the phase plug is clear acrylic on the 077 and is painted aluminum on the 2405.

There is a newer ferrite version of the 2405, it is called the 2405H. Some people believe this version sounds different from the earlier alnico versions. I have not heard or measured any difference.

Widget

Ezio,
    are you planning to replace the 2405 with 077 on you 43xx?
    If you want to know my opinion, I would say: don’t do it!
    I have a pair of 077 (alnico), a pair of 2405 (alnico) and a pair of 2405H (ferrite)
    I’ve tried to swap the 2405 alnico on a pair of 4333A with the 077, and I can’t hear any difference.
    I know that there are people that claim that 077 sound much better, but this is just not true.
    As had been already stated by Widget, there is no any difference between 077 and 2405 or between any 2405 version.
    If you are not satisfied of your system sound in the very narrow band played by the 2405, try with a different approach.
    If I were you, I would try to change the diaphragm of the 2405 with a new one (of course an original JBL ones, not a replacement).
    We are talking of speakers that are at least 20 years old. We probably bought these speakers used, and there is the possibility that the previous owner(s) didn’t pay much attention on how to safely drive them, and the 2405 is the first component that can be damaged.
    Michele

PS: long time ago I owned the 4344. I’m now a “two way” upholder, and my favorite speaker are the 4430, but I’m missing the 4344 speaker now. Kind of nostalgic…..? Anyway if you are planning to sell them , drop me a line….

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaldes View Post
    PS: long time ago I owned the 4344. I’m now a “two way” upholder, and my favorite speaker are the 4430, but I’m missing the 4344 speaker now. Kind of nostalgic…..?
    Forums like this kind of feed the nostalgia.

Thread Information