Thread: Does anyone knows this tweeter holder/hanger, installed by Richard Long ?

Question Does anyone knows this tweeter holder/hanger, installed by Richard Long ?

Does anyone knows this tweeter holder/hanger ? This holder was always installed by Richard Long RLA. This holder includes 4 pieces of JBL 075/2402. Is this holder a orig. JBL part ?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...2000_Pic08.jpg

You can see it in the linked foto in the left upper corner

Yes, they were called Z arrays, made of chrome finished pvc tube, and were sized for the smaller diameter alnico magnets of the 2402/075 JBL tweeters.

Usually, you would see four Z Arrays hanging over the dance floor, and 1 slot on speaker stacks around dance floor.

The Z Array cannot have the later ferrite magnet bullet or slot tweeters mounted in them, ferrite mags larger diameter.

JBL did not manufacture these, it was RLA custom made hardware.
    scottyj

Thank you for the information! Sometimes I heard the word "Z array", now I know what it means But I donīt hink thta these "Zīs" are made with PVC. I taste it sometimes and it was metal.

The picture is from the Airpot Terminal based Dorian Gray at Frankfurt West-Germany (1978-2000). There was installed 2 Z arrays 4 4520 with L90 Horns and one Leavan horn. Installation by RLA !!!

Yes, you are actually correct, they had fabricated them from metal.

They looked cool, and despite the technically incorrect alignment of the high frequencies in relation to where the stacks and Levan horns were, IT WORKED, and when the DJ hit the tweeter pot on the RLA crossover the crowd went nuts, and those old original Levan Horns, MAN, people went crazy.

But Richards FULL RANGE, which comprised of TAD 1601A woofers, JBL 2395 Lens usually with a Gauss HF 4000 compression driver, and a slot tweeter, and for a time while they were available for a short period, the JBL 2406 "cats eye" tweeter. I first saw and heard the RLA system at Studio54 NYC, in 1978, then I heard Richards most famous system, The Paradise Garage, DJ Larry Levan, and this rooms bass was the MOST any club had, and the system was always continually evolving and progressing, the stacks in the Garage had 2 mid horns, the JBL 2395, and the wood JBL 2397 Diffraction horn on top of the lens. In this room the tweeter arrays were done, differently on the top of the stacks, to the side of the horns, 4 bullets, vertically arrayed, and the slots hanging in circular arrays over the dance floor.

And our system, at The Eldorado Bumper Cars In Coney Island was also growing, and I was bitten by the Richard Long sound, as well as my uncle, and my family did decide to obtain Richards services, we already had a massive and amazing sound, but we reconfigured, and rewired the system to what we were told to do, purchased and installed Richards electronics, the famous three red knobs " RLA X-3000 xover " and RLA modified Urei 525 Xover, Richard came and EQ,ed the room, then, at a later date, we also got 4 MASSIVE RLA J HORNS, and the insanity conttinues to this day.

Welcome aboard, THE ADDICTION PROGRESSES!
    scottyj

Nice to follow your story ... Do you have some fotos from the still running system ?

Here a close-up from the Z array ...

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...ee5ded58d9.jpg

JBL's modern equivalent with better dispersion and frequency extension may be assembled for peanuts. The waveguides are $9.90 apiece from JBL Pro Parts:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cspels/CBT4%205-5-03.pdf

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    are the 2407s available to the public? or are the BMS versions an easier item to source?

soundmanshorty

I offer this

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Long View Post
    Thank you for the information! Sometimes I heard the word "Z array", now I know what it means But I donīt hink thta these "Zīs" are made with PVC. I taste it sometimes and it was metal.

The picture is from the Airpot Terminal based Dorian Gray at Frankfurt West-Germany (1978-2000). There was installed 2 Z arrays 4 4520 with L90 Horns and one Leavan horn. Installation by RLA !!!
    for the newer 2402/05, out of the same metal fabrication custom on some jobs IF i want to go with that look, i have done these before and it has worked well, but i do offer these exact arrays custom fabricated for the 2402 / Ferrite mag, not chrome.

www.systemsbyshorty.com

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information