Thread: First photo attach test - my DIY

First photo attach test - my DIY

Here's my diy. After reading these posts I was terrified weather it would sound ok. Am glad to say they sound great. Great punch. Clear highs. Added to my 4 L26's fills the room with power. Thanks for all the feedback on construction.
    Technics ST-7600 Tuner
    Technics SU-7100 Amp @ 40 watts
    2412H tweeters
    104H-2 (L100T) Mids
    LE14A (Lancer 77) Woofers
    L110 3way Crossovers
    36x18x15 Cabinets
    4 1/4" Ports
    4" Yellow insulation
    Gold "Carpet Cap"
    Internal volume after insulation 1.78 cf.
    Ebay is a wonderful thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like you put a bunch of effort there- what made you go with the 2412Hs?

je

2412h

Purely lack of knowledge. I hadn't found this forum at the time. Saw them on ebay and figured I needed to start some where. Found horns at parts express. Kind of glad it worked out this way. Way to much information on this site. Kinda overwhelming.

Wood inserts

One thing I failed to mention. I used "wood inserts" for mounting. Threaded steel inserts with machine threads inside. Tricky locating them. But makes for clean install. I'll upload a picture of them.

How did you isolate the 104H's...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

What made you decide to port them out the front? Is this your first DIY? Nice job either way. How do they sound?

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Threaded Inserts

These are the inserts I used to mount drivers. Very handy and easy to install. Various thread sizes available. profhdwr.com
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Isolation and port design

My L26's are ported in front. Also, the charts and design diagrams on this site showed similar layouts. Would be interested in hearing alternatives and why. After reading much forum input it sounded like pressures from the LE14A's would affect the mids so I built 6x6x4 mdf enclosures behind them. Seperated some insulation to about an inch thick and lined box. Thanks for the input. This forum is a fun place to bs.

Quote Originally Posted by elwood127 View Post
    After reading much forum input it sounded like pressures from the LE14A's would affect the mids so I built 6x6x4 mdf enclosures behind them. Seperated some insulation to about an inch thick and lined box.
    Good. There are easier ways to go. Do a search on "sonotube" and / or "doghouse" and you might find some ideas for future.

Great Job!

The doghouse box is simple to build and install. I also have used the sonotube method with great results!

SO...

How do they sound???

We are waiting.......

scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

New speaker results

Since 1974 I've been listening to the same system. Marantz 4230 quad w/cd-4, bic 960 and 4 L26's. It was great listening. Recently I had Bob@ Vintage Electronics go through the Marantz for the usual problems. While it was away I bought a Technics SU-7100 amp to feed the new speakers I was building forgetting about the dual volume control issues. I had the Marantz worked on because it sounded like my L26's were blown. To my amazement when I hooked up the Technics to 2 jbl's it was like they were brand new and perfect sounding. I hooked up the revamped Marantz and it sounded like cats and babys in a metal trash can. It's on the shelf if now you're interested. Finished new speakers and ran them with the Technics amp and wow, power I never heard before. Played Dark side of the moon and literally had tears running down my face. Smooth, powerful bass, crisp, clean highs. It was like being in the clock shop when the alarms sounded. I added 2 L26's in parallel at back of room at the risk of impedence issues for that old quad feeling and now have a full, smooth sound with plenty of punch when called on. The difference in sound quality from the Marantz is amazing. To much bass control from the Marantz and everything started breaking up. The Technics stays clean almost to the max setting. I can't imagine what a real quality source must be like. I can happily say that I'm totally satisfied with the end result of the new boxes. I haven't gone beyond #3 of 10 on the volume mainly to save my marriage. At 3 the LE14A's rip through your body while the Tweeters tear through your mind. I'm a happy camper. Can't imagine what some of you are experiencing. Thanks for all the help. Couldn't have done it without you. Brian.

Thread Information