Wow,
I got home from a trip to Seattle on Saturday. I had the opportunity to buy a set of Polk Audio 1.2TR's. All my adult life I've heard people rave about these speakers. Most I've talked to have suggested that they blow away virtually any JBL. It seems every time I've seen these available, they're just too far away to consider. With the size & weight of them, shipping just isn't really an option. So this set in Seattle comes available for $1700 & I decide to buy them since I'm close & since I've free'd up a little more play money than I'd banked on.
I get home from Seattle with the Polks & a pair of early 70's RTR 280dr's that I picked up for $200.
Major lunchbag letdown on the Polks. My JBL240Ti's blow them away in virtually every department. They just sound muddy & not clean at all. Maybe I'm used to the JBL's...maybe my Adcom 565's don't suite the Polks but I'm very, very disappointed. Yes, I have the interconnect hooked up & yes, I've got my Adcom chassis grounded together...no, they don't sound good & all the speakers seem to be operating as they're supposed to.
On a better note...the RTR's blow both the Polk's & the 240Ti's away! They truly are amazing for $200! 4-10" drivers & 6 Peerless tweeters...they're just a very pleasant surprise to an otherwise very disappointing trip.
Anyone want a mint pair of Polk SDA 1.2TR's
As for these RTR's...Looks are deceiving
http://members.shaw.ca/missionkraft/rtr.jpg