Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "And, the candidates, are...."?

Thanks for comeback.

Yes, I have been in and out of both my Ramsa desks (4412 & 4416) and I looked at the post eq jumpers and thought and thought and thought some more.

Right now, all aux's are jumpered for post eq.

I considered changing the 6 mic channels to aux pre eq.

Decided to leave them as they are. All aux's post eq. A change in the strip(channel) eq equals a change on the whole kit and kaboodle.

Simple.

Though, as I was resoldering jumpers, I was thinking about your little Midas desk you showed in an earlier post that you playing your mouth organ at some New Year's Eve gig. I have looked at those little Midas desks and wanted your feedback of them. Features you like, and dislike.

The ramsa mixer is not the be-all, end-all but rather a means to an ends. They are easy to operate for most, flexible in routing and don't sound too bad. Certainly good enough for my, and many other's, purposes. Just get used to the backwards inserts. I grew up in the audio world knowing pin 3 was ALWAYS hot. Then someone changed that. Go figure.

Scotty.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    The ramsa mixer is not the be-all, end-all but rather a means to an ends. They are easy to operate for most, flexible in routing and don't sound too bad. Certainly good enough for my, and many other's, purposes. Just get used to the backwards inserts.
    I run into those Ramsa's not infrequently. They are passable. Biggest complaint is the Pin3 hot inserts (I carry two-dozen turn-arounds so I can re-route my outboard rack); second biggest is the lack of headroom. I think the mains buss clips at +9dB. Yuck. Cannot handle transients. Third biggest hate is the mic-pre's and strip EQ's. But beyond that, they're fun!

I grew up in the audio world knowing pin 3 was ALWAYS hot. Then someone changed that. Go figure.
    That's why we have standards - so someone can change them...

I have looked at those little Midas desks and wanted your feedback of them. Features you like, and dislike.
    That picture was the Venice 160. It's my smallest - mostly for sidecar or small rehearsal stuff, but I've had it out plenty. A good little desk - only 8 mono and 4 multi-channels (these don't have inserts). The multi-channels are weird - they have 1 mic (pad) and 2 line inputs (stereo pot), each. You can run both at the same time, but it's tricky. I've also got the 240 (16 mono and 4 multi).

The Venice console is Midas' lowest entrant, but has good sounding mic pre's, and LOTS of headroom - +22dB on the mono inputs, and +25dB on the Mains buss outputs. So, with the right gain structure you almost never clip.

Venice have 2 Aux and 2 Monitor sends. The Aux can be switched pre/post fader (global); both are pre-EQ (but both can be mod'd for post-EQ - simple snip / solder). There are 2 FX sends (post fader). There are 2 FX returns (no EQ). There are no stereo returns other than the multi- strips. Four Groups. Inserts on Groups and Mix buss. There is a Mains "B" output, switchable mono or stereo, switchable pre- or post-fader. There are L/R Speaker (Control Room) outs, pot on working surface by headfone pot, pfl pot and the pfl / afl switch. These desks are hella compact and great sounding.

I just searched for any used 160's and found just a couple. Obviously people don't let them go to often.

Great size and a pedigree name.

I will keep searching for one!

Thank you!

Scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Originally posted by Doc
    Friends, can anyone recommend a good, reputable mail order house, from whom I could buy my Ashly crossover?
    Hi Doc

I ordered my Ashly and 5 crowns amps from www.fullcompass.com.
    And I found full compass to be a fair and honest company.

They are not like the one of those jerks that crunches your credit card and then feeds you BS for the next 3 months about how your order will be coming in any day now...

And as I recall, they normally don't keep Ashly XR4001s in stock, so they will have to order it directly from Ashly. But, still I don't recall them taking more then a week to 10 days to send it to me.
    So, I think their service was pretty good.

Baron030

Good Evening, Baron030,

Thanks, very much! It appears that the going mail order price for an Ashly XR-4001 is $425, with free shipping, most of the time. That sounds pretty good to me. I do note that, as you say, Fullcompass does not keep that model in stock, and it's a special order, usually shipping in between 2-3 weeks. I may give them a call, just to see what they have to say about that.

You may have already told me this, and if so, I apologize, sincerely: What have you done to the speaker in your Avatar??? It looks like you are using a slot tweeter on top, under which is a 2380A? Is that right? What else do you have in that box, what size is it, what tuning, and is it all crossed over actively? Please post a larger photo of your neat speaker, and some more information about it, or the link where such can be found! Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hi Doc

Wow, I can’t believe how time flies, it seems like only yesterday when I started my Drew Daniel’s inspired project.
    But, it’s been over two years now.

Here is a link the start of the project:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11664

Over the years, I have made other posts involving all things related to this project.
    So, you may want to do a search on my previous postings.
    Who knows you might find something useful for your own project.

Believe it or not, I am still not finished with this project.
    The bass reflex port tubes never got glued in and after a few loud blasts of the old “1812”.
    I think the 2226 cones have finally loosened up to the point where I think I may need to check the port tuning again.
    Fortunately, this time I got a copy of CLIO Lite to help me this time.
    And then there are some passive EQ circuits on the 2012h and the 2382a/2446h that I am still experimenting with.
    Someday, I am going to break down and buy some software to help model these passive EQ circuits.
    Building these passive EQ circuits by trial and error alone takes a long time.
    But, I am learning a lot and having some fun in the process.

Well, I can’t say that my system has reached perfection yet.
    But, I do feel that I am getting very close.
    Just 4 – 2242s away from having the ultimate home system…

Baron030

Hey, Baron030,

I've just read through your thread on building those Bad Boys, and I have to join the throngs and say, "Well done, Mate"!!! You did a wonderful job crafting that system, and when I think about your having done it IN AN APARTMENT, I'm shocked!!! Again, very well done!!

Actually, when you think about it, a good, honest, 40HZ bottom end, especially with some true authority, is nothing at which to snear! Look at the myriad L100 users that have been quite satisfied with 45HZ bottom end! However, I do like your plan to, possibly, add some 2242H's in the future, if you feel the need for it. I've got one of those drivers, too, and hope to use it, someday, just to see what it can add to my L300's, or my 4333 project, both of which use 2235H's on the bottom end.

Thanks, very much, for sharing your project with me! I loved watching your progress, and even though I don't know you, am proud of you for getting such nice results!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

OT, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Baron030 View Post
    ...I found Full Compass to be a fair and honest company.
    They have become one of my most go-to sources. George Koury (x114) takes good care of me. Many of my transactions are email, only, in the dead-of-night after gigs. Never been a problem or lack of response. He'll give good quotes, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron030 View Post
    And as I recall, they normally don't keep Ashly XR4001s in stock, so they will have to order it directly from Ashly.
    I believe Ashly will drop-ship, so timing is as-if Full Compass did stock Ashly.

Howdy, Bo,

Thanks, very much! I'll certainly give them a call, and ask for George, as per your recommendation. I'm still not ready to get into this, but I figure that, if I already have the crossover in hand, as I do my amps, then hey, I'm "almost" there, right??!! Thanks, again, to all who offered your opinions and suggestions! Much appreciated! I believe that the Ashly 4-way will do most anything that I want in such a critter, from a 2 to 3, to 4-way setup. I look forward to having the time to mess with this, once the crossover is here. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Hey, Bo, Baron030, and all,

I just finished a very nice phone conversation with George Koury, of Full Compass, and he was exactly as you had told me he would be, Bo, polite, knowledgeable, and professional! He remembers you well, Sir, and spoke highly of you, too. So, thanks to the recommendations of you guys, and others, I've just ordered my Ashly crossover, and George offered it a very nice price, too. My advice to folks that order from Full Compass, is to call and ask for George. As has been stated, he will take very good care of you, and offer a good price for whatever you are seeking! I'm so glad you recommended him, and the company, to me!! Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

RIP 2009

Xr4001

This girl actually screwed up her subject and listed an XR4001 as a XR2001 on eBay with a ridicuously low BIN price, (also a bunch of other stuff at crazy prices - she obviously wasn't doing her homework), but showed pics for the XR4001. Even talking to her, I couldn't figure out which one she actually had. Figuring "what's to lose?" I went ahead and ordered it. It came yesterday, is perfect, and it's even the new gray-face XR4001. Now I've finally got all the parts for starting work on my "dream" custom home system - more details later...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=012

Sometimes being it the right place at the right time works - 'just have to start looking at this unit... I myself almost went for a new one at list price, but wasn't ready yet. If my "dream" system doesn't eventually come to pass, (other factors involved), components will be offered here first, with expected price savings, ('just don't hold your breath for now...). If it weren't for some of these deals, I'd still be on L-65's or something...

John

Hello, John,

Outstanding fine, Mate!! Well done!! I will look forward to reading your report, when your Ashly arrives! The one you got looks very clean, and could have been very little used. Again, way to go, and have fun with your new Ashly! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Thread Information