Thread: "And, the candidates, are...."?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"And, the candidates, are...."?

Greetings, Friends,

Just got back up on the mountain from my trip down to San Diego. As an aside, whilst down there, I went to a local swap meet, and found an absolultely LOVELY pair of Warfdale three-way cabinets!! Danged near perfect, and I was sorely tempted.... But, hey, I'm a JBL Man, and don't have room for another brand, no matter how nice, in my "audio heart"!!

Anyway, on my way back home, I stopped at our local Guitar Center, just to see what they had to offer for both 3-way, and 4-way electronic crossovers. Looks like the first thing they always offer is something from Behringer. I told the salesman that I'd heard some very bad things about items offered by that brand, and his comment was, "Yeah, we get a lot of them back as returns due to defective performance. But, you get a lot of bang for the buck, when they work"! Didn't fill me with enthusiasm, Friends!!

Next, he showed me some dbx 234 units, which are selling for $200. If I buy two of them, for $400 of course, I could then use them as mono-4-way systems, and can then be ready to quad amp my JBL stuff, when I get time to play with it. What are your thoughts on this unit, Friends? The salesman told me they are built rock-solid, and that they have been very dependable for GC. He likes them, very much, for the money. He did say that Ashley was outstanding, as were units from Rane, but had nothing in stock to show me.

I'm thinking that, for $400, if they are dependable and versatile, two 234's (w/ quarter inch jack setup) should be just the ticket for me. Any thoughts, comments, reviews, or other suggestions will be gratefully appreciated! Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. The new stuff sure makes my old Crown VFX-2A look like a dinosaur, that's for sure!!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hi Doc

I would recommend the Ashly XR4001.
    Itís got the best bang for the buck.
    I am very pleased with mine in my own quad amplified 4 way.
    Itís to easy to set up right and it sounds great.

Baron030

Evening, Baron030,

Thanks, very much! When checking price, it looks like the Ashly unit sells for about $425, sometimes with free shipping. That's very similar to the price of the needed TWO dbx234 units, and I like the fact that the Ashly's have a five year full warranty, whilst the 234 have a two year warranty. Plus, the simplicity of only hooking up one system, instead of two, is attractive to me. Now, to find a good one, for a good price. I'm not ready to spring, just yet, but I might be ready in a fairly short time! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I always found the DBX crossovers harsh sounding in their HF, I liked the BSS FDS-360 which was somewhat cleaner in it's sound, the BSS unit uses frequency cards that have to be populated with the right value R/C's for your specific crossover frequency where as the DBX was a little more convinient with front panel selectable frequency BUT the sound difference was well worth the effort..... my 2 cents worth.
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

Evening, JBLBGW_Man,

Thanks, very much, for your thoughts and suggestion! Much appreciated. I've not heard of that unit before. Who makes it? Is it current stuff, or vintage? Is it a 4 way, stereo unit? That's what I'm hoping to use for the upcoming project. I'll Google the numbers you posted, and see what pops up. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. WOW! I just checked the prices of that unit, and I'm afraid it's way out of my league, unfortunately!! I'm looking for something that would do what needs to be done, for less than $500. Looks like a pair of those units, run as 4-way mono units, would cost me more than $1,200, which is definitely not in the cards right now. I would imagine that my home system would not be too impressive to real audiophiles, but Sweet Bride and I sure like it, as do most of those who hear it. But, it would never satisfy someone who is a true "golden ear", which it sounds like you might be. I'd LOVE to be one, too, but my ears aren't up to it, nor is my pocketbook!! Yikes!! More power to those that can go there, though! : )

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post

P.S. WOW! I just checked the prices of that unit, and I'm afraid it's way out of my league, unfortunately!! I'm looking for something that would do what needs to be done, for less than $500. Looks like a pair of those units, run as 4-way mono units, would cost me more than $1,200, which is definitely not in the cards right now. I would imagine that my home system would not be too impressive to real audiophiles, but Sweet Bride and I sure like it, as do most of those who hear it. But, it would never satisfy someone who is a true "golden ear", which it sounds like you might be. I'd LOVE to be one, too, but my ears aren't up to it, nor is my pocketbook!! Yikes!! More power to those that can go there, though! : )
    Hi Doc, did'nt mean to scare you, I have 2 units, one I picked up second hand via ebay for around AU$200 the other was old stock but NIB and got that for around AU$400 from a BSS agent in London via ebay as well, they do come up on ebay occasionally and in my humble opinion are worth the wait .... here is a link to the brochure http://www.bssaudio.com/product_down...s/Fds360ds.pdf and here for the manual http://www.bssaudio.com/product_down...s/fds360um.pdf ................. good luck with whatever you choose.
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

Thread Information