Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "And, the candidates, are...."?

"And, the candidates, are...."?

Greetings, Friends,

Just got back up on the mountain from my trip down to San Diego. As an aside, whilst down there, I went to a local swap meet, and found an absolultely LOVELY pair of Warfdale three-way cabinets!! Danged near perfect, and I was sorely tempted.... But, hey, I'm a JBL Man, and don't have room for another brand, no matter how nice, in my "audio heart"!!

Anyway, on my way back home, I stopped at our local Guitar Center, just to see what they had to offer for both 3-way, and 4-way electronic crossovers. Looks like the first thing they always offer is something from Behringer. I told the salesman that I'd heard some very bad things about items offered by that brand, and his comment was, "Yeah, we get a lot of them back as returns due to defective performance. But, you get a lot of bang for the buck, when they work"! Didn't fill me with enthusiasm, Friends!!

Next, he showed me some dbx 234 units, which are selling for $200. If I buy two of them, for $400 of course, I could then use them as mono-4-way systems, and can then be ready to quad amp my JBL stuff, when I get time to play with it. What are your thoughts on this unit, Friends? The salesman told me they are built rock-solid, and that they have been very dependable for GC. He likes them, very much, for the money. He did say that Ashley was outstanding, as were units from Rane, but had nothing in stock to show me.

I'm thinking that, for $400, if they are dependable and versatile, two 234's (w/ quarter inch jack setup) should be just the ticket for me. Any thoughts, comments, reviews, or other suggestions will be gratefully appreciated! Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. The new stuff sure makes my old Crown VFX-2A look like a dinosaur, that's for sure!!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hi Doc

I would recommend the Ashly XR4001.
    It’s got the best bang for the buck.
    I am very pleased with mine in my own quad amplified 4 way.
    It’s to easy to set up right and it sounds great.

Baron030

Evening, Baron030,

Thanks, very much! When checking price, it looks like the Ashly unit sells for about $425, sometimes with free shipping. That's very similar to the price of the needed TWO dbx234 units, and I like the fact that the Ashly's have a five year full warranty, whilst the 234 have a two year warranty. Plus, the simplicity of only hooking up one system, instead of two, is attractive to me. Now, to find a good one, for a good price. I'm not ready to spring, just yet, but I might be ready in a fairly short time! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I always found the DBX crossovers harsh sounding in their HF, I liked the BSS FDS-360 which was somewhat cleaner in it's sound, the BSS unit uses frequency cards that have to be populated with the right value R/C's for your specific crossover frequency where as the DBX was a little more convinient with front panel selectable frequency BUT the sound difference was well worth the effort..... my 2 cents worth.
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

Evening, JBLBGW_Man,

Thanks, very much, for your thoughts and suggestion! Much appreciated. I've not heard of that unit before. Who makes it? Is it current stuff, or vintage? Is it a 4 way, stereo unit? That's what I'm hoping to use for the upcoming project. I'll Google the numbers you posted, and see what pops up. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. WOW! I just checked the prices of that unit, and I'm afraid it's way out of my league, unfortunately!! I'm looking for something that would do what needs to be done, for less than $500. Looks like a pair of those units, run as 4-way mono units, would cost me more than $1,200, which is definitely not in the cards right now. I would imagine that my home system would not be too impressive to real audiophiles, but Sweet Bride and I sure like it, as do most of those who hear it. But, it would never satisfy someone who is a true "golden ear", which it sounds like you might be. I'd LOVE to be one, too, but my ears aren't up to it, nor is my pocketbook!! Yikes!! More power to those that can go there, though! : )

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post

P.S. WOW! I just checked the prices of that unit, and I'm afraid it's way out of my league, unfortunately!! I'm looking for something that would do what needs to be done, for less than $500. Looks like a pair of those units, run as 4-way mono units, would cost me more than $1,200, which is definitely not in the cards right now. I would imagine that my home system would not be too impressive to real audiophiles, but Sweet Bride and I sure like it, as do most of those who hear it. But, it would never satisfy someone who is a true "golden ear", which it sounds like you might be. I'd LOVE to be one, too, but my ears aren't up to it, nor is my pocketbook!! Yikes!! More power to those that can go there, though! : )
    Hi Doc, did'nt mean to scare you, I have 2 units, one I picked up second hand via ebay for around AU$200 the other was old stock but NIB and got that for around AU$400 from a BSS agent in London via ebay as well, they do come up on ebay occasionally and in my humble opinion are worth the wait .... here is a link to the brochure http://www.bssaudio.com/product_down...s/Fds360ds.pdf and here for the manual http://www.bssaudio.com/product_down...s/fds360um.pdf ................. good luck with whatever you choose.
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

Morning, JBLBGW_Man,

Hey, I feel better, now that I've had a good sleep! That $1,200 price for a pair of those, DID rather "get my attention", though!!

I think that the Ashly unit will do what I need it to do, especially if it is nice and quiet in going about it's business. While I would dearly love to wait for something that might be a little better, I've been "waiting" for more than 20 years, and it's time to get this show on the road!! Now that I finally have all the needed components, actually setting in my living room, it's hard to be too patient. The only thing that is now holding me back is a lack of time, right now. But, sooner, or later, I'll have the time to begin this long-awaited project, and when that happens, I'd love to already have my crossover in hand, ready to go!!

In the mean time, I'll most certainly keep an eye out for a pair of those units. But, I'm thinking that the Ashly is going to get the nod, and that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!!

Thanks, again, for your great suggestion, and I'll keep you posted as to how all this eventually turns out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Another thread with perfect timing!

Doc, I am doing the same thing here. I have two dbx 234's to use for 4-way, and was wondering about the Ashley 4001.

Downstairs in the big ballroom, I am using two Peavey V4X x-overs and they seem fine for the music and voice down there. But for my 4-way shop stereo I am looking around to see what else is available.

Price is always an issue. I saw a BSS mono 4-way on the bay. Don't now much about them, but know of their good reputation by older deaf pro-sound guys.

I am very interested in learning more about analogue 4-way x-overs, and will stay tuned to your collective advice.

Thank You!

Scotty.

What about the Rane AC24? Anyone had any experiences?
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Hey, Scotty,

I have pretty much decided on the Ashly unit, as it comes highly recommended, and I think, for the money spent, offers everything that I want, or need. I hope to be springing for mine in the near future, so if you want my thoughts on it, I'll be happy to pass them along. I have enough JBL goodies that, even if I have to jury-rig the backs of the 4333's, I can have some fun with the Ashly, and see how it works! Neat that you're considering the same unit, Mate!

By the way, Sweet Bride works in Anchorage, now and then, and I get to come along, once in a while. Next time I'm headed up your way, I'll give you a shout, and maybe we can get together, have some lunch, and "talk JBL"! What do you think? Talk to you later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Sure Doc. Bring it on!

I work at a downtown nightclub that's mainly gay and lesbian called "Mad Myrna's." Right next door to the Sheraton. Great place. Great people. Everyone welcome. I'll show you my JBL rig and all vintage pieces and parts. My shop is here above the main bar building.

I'm looking at a 4001 on ebay right now. We'll see how much it goes for.

Scotty.

Hey, Scotty,

Great! I'll give you a shout, next time it looks like I might be making a trip up that way. We really love Alaska, and would move up there in a heartbeat, if it weren't to expensive to come and go, especially during the winter. Our business requires Sweet Bride to travel quite a bit, and living up there just won't work out, at least for now. Maybe someday.... Thanks for the invitation to visit! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    I work at a downtown nightclub ... called "Mad Myrna's."
    Hey, Scotty - is that where you had installed that really big DIY project? How's that sounding now-a-days, by the way...

Yes Bo, that is where the big rig is installed. I drive it every Friday night for our drag/variety show. The room is stuffed with a 150-200 people at small 4 top cocktail table, and SRO all around. They just suck all of the sound up.

On some tunes, I can lean on the rig a little, and really clean out the cobwebs, if you know what I mean!

I took the Ramsa wr-4412 desk apart on Monday and finally changed the internal jumpers back to their default position, where Aux 1 & 2 are prefader. All 4 auxes were post fader, before. Stage wedges on aux1, verb drive on aux 2, aux3- blank, aux 4 drives separate rane sac22 x-over set at 80hz for crowns to 8-18's. I can go pre or post on aux 3&4. I have kept it on post, lately. This is as Mike Caldwell had suggested. It gives me good control on the sub stuff.

I chewed up one 2240-18 cone in the beginning. Cone jumped out of the gap, and never re-entered square-ly. I belive it was a poor glue job at the spider to basket. After recone, all is fine.

The rig is used on Tues, Thurs and Sat for karaoke. I set it up and let our KJ drive it. She is VERY hip-hop oriented. I always look at her knob settings the following morning and see where she turns the bottom end down a bit.

All in all, everything works very well, I believe. I am looking to buy a couple a MA3600 for the subs. Well actually one 3600 for the subs. I can run all 18's (2 ohm load) on one 3600, which would free up the two 2400's for another rack for another rig. Then the amps would be 3600 for 8-18's, two 24x6 for the 15's and horns, and a 600 for the 4 bullets.

I am still using the Peavey V4x x-overs and they seem fine for this use.

I Hope I answered your questions?

Scotty.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Greetings, All,

Hey, Scotty, that system looks like it could be the "JBL Death Star" in the next Star Wars episode!!! Death by JBL-ation!!

Friends, can anyone recommend a good, reputable mailorder house, from whom I could buy my Ashly crossover? I would prefer one which is a list Ashly dealer, in truth. All suggestions will be most gratefully appreciated! Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    I have kept (he Aux) on post (Fader), lately. This is as Mike Caldwell had suggested. It gives me good control on the sub stuff.
    Yeah, it will also give you better control on the foldback - both Mike and I were urging this.

You seem pretty able with the innards of that Ramsa desk. Check the block diagram and see if there is a snip / solder option for changing the Aux's to post-EQ (this will be on each strip). That would be the ticket, Scotty. That way, when you are adjusting the strip EQ's for tonality, it will affect foldback, too. This is the preferred routing for smaller clubs. In smaller clubs, if the room is having resonance issues, they will be the same on the stage and it's best to try and cut them at the source (rather than try and EQ them out of the entire room which invariably is only marginally effective). I have modified all my smaller consoles this way - it helps a great deal.

Thread Information