Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Krylon 1613 Semi-Flat discontinued from the retail market

Krylon 1613 Semi-Flat discontinued from the retail market

Fark!

Evidently it's still available through industrial supply. Word is that Grainger carries it. Some BS about EPA VOC regulations caused Krylon to re-formulate the product. The replacement sheen ("satin") is much more glossy and doesn't even come close to the 1613 semi-flat which, IMHO, is almost a dead ringer for JBL OEM. Halfway through a refinish on a 4311B pair and I ran out...

Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Thanks,

Grainger is local to me and I have access to a business account there...

Here is another solution....

I use almost any brand of flat black available, But the trick is to topcoat it when finished with Deft Satin or Semi-Gloss Clear finish. The Deft product dries quickly and evens out the overspray. It is even available in Single arisol cans, and Quart / Gallons for those that have a pro spray setup. I would even use it over the Krylon for the very best OEM style finish.

mb
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mbottz View Post
    I use almost any brand of flat black available, But the trick is to topcoat it when finished with Deft Satin or Semi-Gloss Clear finish.
    Two layers of dissimilar paint with possible adhesion issues? I guess you haven't had any problems so it can work, but how about dust? Semi-flat black will hide tiny dust particles, a clear coat won't.

Those concerns aside, how is the Deft coating's surface toughness? The Krylon's is rather fragile.

Widget

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    do you suggest duratex? or something of the like?

http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119

I placed an order with FilmTools. They report they are out of the Krylon but expect to have more in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Two layers of dissimilar paint with possible adhesion issues? I guess you haven't had any problems so it can work, but how about dust? Semi-flat black will hide tiny dust particles, a clear coat won't.

Those concerns aside, how is the Deft coating's surface toughness? The Krylon's is rather fragile.

Widget
    The trick with any tiny dust particles left in the flat black is to just sand them out with 600 to 1000 grit wet dry. Sand dry though. Once you apply the deft they dissapear and the resulting finish will dry to a perfect "Factory Like OEM" coat of paint.

The deft product is a Laquer based product, Thats why it dries to the touch in less than usually 3 to 5 minutes. I have never had any problems, ever, probally because of the fast drying time. The dust does not have enough time to settle before it is dry. If you see any dust it will wipe right off. The surface dries quite hard and durable. Should you wish to build up several coats sanding between them, you can even polish to a very nice "piano finish" type shine. Here is a partial picture of a Kenwood supreme cabinet I built that is polished to a very nice shine.

Once you use it you will be a believer.

mb
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbottz; 09-23-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: did not get picture
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mbottz View Post
    The deft product is a Laquer based product, Thats why it dries to the touch in less than usually 3 to 5 minutes.

Once you use it you will be a believer.
    I did not realize that it was a lacquer based product. You don't have to sell me on the bennefits of quick drying lacquer. I love the stuff... that is why Krylon is so much nicer to use than Rustoleum. Krylon is also a lacquer.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I did not realize that it was a lacquer based product. You don't have to sell me on the bennefits of quick drying lacquer. I love the stuff... that is why Krylon is so much nicer to use than Rustoleum. Krylon is also a lacquer.

Widget
    RE: Lacquer.

Which, according to Krylon, is why it got pulled from retail. I'd expect all lacquer based paints will soon be history in the retail market.

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    RE: Lacquer.

Which, according to Krylon, is why it got pulled from retail. I'd expect all lacquer based paints will soon be history in the retail market.
    BUT if YOU JUST gotta have a lacquer finish, look to the automotive paints, still some lacquears for custom finishes available, AND 3 Stage Acryliccs that DO have that LACQUER GLASS SHINE! More coats sprayed, sanded to perfection, and lots of clear coats will give you what u seek!

Thats what the boys in LA use for their highly custom paintjobs for their LOWRIDERS!
    scottyj

Update on my Krylon dilemma

Grainger dumped all their 1613 stock and switched to another product. None available in a 9-state region.

After some additional research, I found a group of Mustang enthusiasts covering this same issue. Seems the 1613 was a dead ringer for OEM Ford under-hood semi-flat black. One of them wrote to Krylon and got a response from a product manager. I've since contacted the same fellow and to make a long story short:

He's sending me a free case of the old 1613 to finish my current project. I only expected or needed a can to finish. Easier for them to ship I guess.

He had previously submitted a request to their lab to re-create the semi-flat sheen in their new formula paint and he's sending me a can to test.
    Once they receive response back from all the testers, they'll be marketing the new semi-flat in stores. Sounds like they've gotten a lot of consumer backlash and are resolving it. Kudos to Sherwin Williams (parent co.) for stepping up.

It's still not the quick-dry lacquer, but it's a worthy compromise.

FWIW, I tried Rustoleum Painter's Touch flat-black and while it was close, I didn't care for the unevenness in sheen I experienced.

I found an online source that had stock, but two (6 can) cases with shipping would have run me about $100.

krylon flat black

the qualities you were talking about with krylon flt blk ... drys fast, even finish has been made more difficult by Krylon's new formulation that has higher levels of solvent and lower levels of pigment. The best paint i have ever found is Ironlak (Australia) montana hardcore (spain) and belton molotow (germany) these paints all have a nitro based solvent that drys almost on contact (10-30 seconds!) and the highest levels of pigment u can find which give u a even clean finish that montana hardcore guarantees for 15 years to never fade or breakdown. these are all available in the u.s. through www.oinkartltd.com , www.33third.com and www.artprimo.com . I am a graffiti artist that does on average 7 art gallery showings a year and a large number of murals. If u want to see what they can do check me out at http://revolt316.blogspot.com ...... hope this helps

Thanks for the heads up... I'll look into those paints.

Off Topic... how did you find this thread? Googling Krylon? Or do you have an interest in audio as well?

Widget

This goes well beyond JBL.

We use this same color for the interior restoration of vintage Corvette dashboards and parts. The new satin is not as good a match.

At one time I had many cans of 1613 on the shelves, but no more.

The Rustoleum is crap. It leaves an uneven finish with fish eyes.

Thread Information