Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: e-waste

Here's another way to look at mercury. It is a naturally occuring element that is dug from the ground. Why do so many people get upset when someone puts a miniscule amount into a landfill? If you a worried about a few contaminats then maybe we should stop driving our cars as well because they run on a naturally occuring liquid as well. It is probably a good lob that JBL didnt use mercury in any of thier products.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Here's another way to look at mercury. It is a naturally occuring element that is dug from the ground. Why do so many people get upset when someone puts a miniscule amount into a landfill?
    Hg does occur in nature, true, but it is relatively rare at 90 ppb concentration in the earth. It very rarely occurs in the native form, which can be very toxic if it combines with chlorides or organics (methymercury) - the latter becomes a "bioaccumulative environmental toxicant", because it does not degrade.

Hg typically occurs in sulfide form (as a solid) which is very stable and non-toxic. Hg does not "naturally" occur in landfills, and the landfill is not engineered to contain it. It will enter the water supply = risk of complexing with organics. It may or may not be rendered non-toxic, depending upon if and how it oxidizes.

"Miniscule" implies occurrences of minute amounts. Soon, as the first "batch" of bulbs expire, millions of bulbs will be discarded with improper containment. This stuff accumulates - it is bad. I don't understand your complacency. Individual littering seems harmless too, until everyone does it - then our garden planet is trashed.

Why do so many people get upset when someone puts a miniscule amount into a landfill?
    It's the potential for thousands in a landfill that's the real issue. You can get very high concentrations in a land fill. All landfills have barriers at the bottom that eventually degrade and leak. You don't want any heavy metals leaching out and entering ground water. It ends up in fish and goes right up the food chain. It can potentially ruin an aquifer for both irrigation and drinking water. Safe fresh water is something we all take for granted. The last thing we need to do is irreversibly contaminate a primary source of it by poor waste management now.

You have the same issue with lead which is one of the reasons why ROHS was implemented. ROHS actually handles many types of prohibited materials not just lead. Cadmium is another metal in that standard you want know part of.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    This stuff accumulates - it is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Safe fresh water is something we all take for granted. The last thing we need to do is irreversibly contaminate a primary source of it by poor waste management now.
    You guys sound like those Left Coast Liberal Extremists we hear about on Fox News.

Widget

Obsolete
    Yeah they do!

I think it is far too late to worry about a bit of mercury. I have a gob full of it. 3 billion people in asia dont care much for anialating the planet so a few hundred million people doing the "right thing" aint gonna make too much difference. The Planet is already past the point of no return.......

The Planet is already past the point of no return.......
    I'm gonna make a WAG (Wild Ass Guess) here and say you probably don't have any children.

... so a few hundred million people doing the "right thing" aint gonna make too much difference.
    These few hundred million people mainly did the pollution to the world so far, right?
    The Planet is already past the point of no return.......
    Please define this point.

I think it is far too late to worry about a bit of mercury. I have a gob full of it. 3 billion people in asia dont care much for anialating the planet so a few hundred million people doing the "right thing" aint gonna make too much difference. The Planet is already past the point of no return.......
    Shush - GAIA can HEAR you when you type such things ...!
    Don't piss her off!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

You can't create it, nor destroy it, you can only change it's form.....
    Like MONEY...

Grace Slick

Grace Slick's famous line on this topic was, "I don't care if my lettuce has DDT in it, as long as it's crisp."

So, I don't care if my water has Mercury in it, as long as it's clear.

Uhhh, we're both being sarcastic, huh?
    Out.

By 2050 the worlds population will be 9 billion and by 2020 China will need the reserves of 3 Earths just to keep going. Hence the point of no return. There are more things to worry about I think, not that I worry. Now, how bout a project with some 2235's....................

Obsolete
    By 2050 the worlds population will be 9 billion and by 2020 China will need the reserves of 3 Earths just to keep going.
    I think it is mildly amusing how the people with all the money think that China and India are emerging markets and will become major industrialized countries. The only energy technology currently available that would make such an impossible feat even remotely possible would be nuclear power and the more nuclear power plants built the greater the chance of a nuclear accident, either man made or the result of some natural phenomenon. We won't even bother bringing up the social implications of countries with billions of newly empowered individuals all trying to make their own personal piles of gold.

Long ago it was stated that the planet had enough resources to comfortably "keep" a maximum of 1.5 to 2 billion people long term. You are correct in the fact that we are well past the point of no return. The planet needs to jetison at least 5 billion people and it needs to do it rather quickly. I'm just not real hopeful that it can do it in a fashion that will leave much of it habitable by those who remain. This issue isn't even open for discussion or debate it's just the reality of the situation.
    Now, how bout a project with some 2235's....................
    Build a 4430 or 4435...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The planet needs to jetison at least 5 billion people and it needs to do it rather quickly. I'm just not real hopeful that it can do it in a fashion that will leave much of it habitable by those who remain. This issue isn't even open for discussion or debate it's just the reality of the situation.
    Yep, we live in a sell correcting system.

By the late '80s it looked like the planet might get rid of us via AIDs... but those pesky resilient humans seem to have gotten reasonable control of that one. Don't fret though another one will come along to thin the herd. It is either nature or god's will depending on your perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Build a 4430 or 4435...
    Haven't we come up with a better use for them by now?

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Haven't we come up with a better use for them by now?
    Not really. They are what they are. They are also viable in a 4344 or 4355 clone but those systems cost alot more.

These drivers have to be reasonably well matched. For instance, if one decided to use the better LE14H-3 or LE14H-4 then one would probably want to use a better midrange, high frequency and ultra high frequency transducer as well.

Thread Information