Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: e-waste

Obsolete

e-waste

I was thinking about buying a newer TV and then I read this:

The volume of e-waste, particularly lead-bearing CRTs, will likely grow exponentially next February, when U.S. television networks switch from analog to digital signals. And it would appear, based on the GAO report, that EPA is not ready to enforce regulations for the proper handling of such toxic materials.

Further, the liquid-crystal display televisions that are likely to replace them contain mercury in the fluorescent lightbulbs inside them. "We don't know how to take out the mercury, let alone deal with it responsibly," Smith says.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...umped-overseas

I love it...

"We don't know how to take out the mercury, let alone deal with it responsibly,"

Then how the FUCK did these products ever make it to market!?

You know... unless we babysit these jerk-offs with a vengeance they're just going to continue to come out with non-viable product after non-viable product, all in the name of making a buck today at the expense of our children's tomorrow.

agree ..

and do you know why the conversion to digital ?? does the govt worry about our picture quality ? no.

they want those analogue TV freqs for wireless devices.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I was thinking about buying a newer TV and then I read this:

The volume of e-waste, particularly lead-bearing CRTs, will likely grow exponentially next February, when U.S. television networks switch from analog to digital signals. And it would appear, based on the GAO report, that EPA is not ready to enforce regulations for the proper handling of such toxic materials.

Further, the liquid-crystal display televisions that are likely to replace them contain mercury in the fluorescent lightbulbs inside them. "We don't know how to take out the mercury, let alone deal with it responsibly," Smith says.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...umped-overseas

I love it...

"We don't know how to take out the mercury, let alone deal with it responsibly,"

You know... unless we babysit these jerk-offs with a vengeance they're just going to continue to come out with non-viable product after non-viable product, all in the name of making a buck today at the expense of our children's tomorrow.

The very last TV you want to purchase is a JVC projection TV.Do not by any means purchase one. These go through bulbs like women with money. They lie and claim long bulb life (like 6000hrs if I remember correctly) but their claims are nothing but a lie to sell the TV. I have the HD ILA 52G786 and have had 5 bulbs in it in two years.
    You can expect two bulbs a year.I notice the bulb that is in it is on it's way out as the picture isn't as bright as it was a couple months ago. At approx 150.00-200.00 per bulb it costs 300.00-400.00 to keep it going all year. I will not til the day I die ever own anymore JVC products.
    If the quality of the JVC projection TV's are the same level of quality of their other products they should be out of business. JVC is forever and a day on my S**T list.

Our market is flood with these fashionable LCD TV's.
    Every teenager want's to have one of these. They don't give a fuck about mercury and all the other poison that's inside. It's damned cool to have one so you need to have one.
    The poorer people eat crap just to afford a nice flat TV Tell me how sick is that?
    Leave alone the shit that is then consumned on such a unit.

I'm NOT talking about the people that enjoy a nice movie from time to time on their 42 inch+ LCD TV. Their TV will last 10 years+.
    I'm talking about the 24h TV generation. They will need a new LCD every 2 -3 years and the old one will poison our environment.

We are going to hell in a trashcan and that's for sure. Enjoy life as long as it works

JBL 4645
    Holy carp! Mercury you got to be kidding! That is very dodgy stuff and if it leaked or other no thanks no way do I want a poison LCD!

Besides have you ever stood back and saw how crappy the image looks! I mean talk about take a step backwards to imperfection! The image lags the image looks rough and its about first impressions that they can’t even meet or deliver.

A video projector is on my shopping future list and yes I’m fully aware of the bulb life issues that surrounds most video projectors, its no different than cinema expect a cinema xenon cost ten times more than a consumer product, so I’m cool about it.

Guildo

I have seen these LCD and I’m not impressed with the image its muddy looking I mean it looks like a second generation VHS recording on perfectly good looking CRT screen.

There is also the emmissions from production.

As for mercury, the US had in 2000 172 metric tons of mercury entering landfills. An addition of 1 million PC LCD screens would contribute 4-12 metric tons of this total.

Scruples a-Lacking

It is a sad state of affairs indeed. As long as quick money is the driving force (which will probably always be) none of this is going to change any time soon. Dont get me wrong, I'd love a quick buck but none of my get rich quick schemes have panned out so far
    While I would love to launch into a diatribe about all this incredible crap that is taking place I will spare you all, suffice it to say that something has to change & I dont mean McCain/Obama kind of change , I mean real change. The shoddy/cheap products coming into this country,ie: lead paint in childrens toys, dog food made outside the US being recalled, soccer nets whose mesh is big enough for a little kid to strange himself in (its happened already, see NPR if interested) it all just seems like a big run away train.
    We cant oversee the stuff thats happening in our own country much less halfway around the wolrd (BTW this in not the diatribe , it would be much longer ).
    We (or someone else) are shooting ourselves in the foot as long as we continue along this path.
    A lot of people will probably have to die (or be injured for life) before the powers that be will even consider doing anything about it, and that is a real shame.

Thanks for the heads up on this one !
    Just Play Music.

We're not allowed to get political, partisan, or sectarian in what we post, so 90% of what I'd like to say about this is off limits.

I can say that most of us are using computers that are chock full of toxic parts, not to mention our audio equipment, automobiles, kitchen appliances, telephones, etc.

We should budget to pay our own costs for effective recycling either as individuals or maybe at the state level, as the federal government is busy with other important initiatives that not only use up all the money we send to it but lots more. This insures our children and grandchildren are safe to keep supporting and paying for our national priorities long after we're gone.

http://www.electronicsrecycling.org/Public/default.aspx

http://www.ecyclingresource.org/Cont....aspx?PageID=1
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    We're not allowed to get political, partisan, or sectarian in what we post, so 90% of what I'd like to say about this is off limits.
    I have always been fascinated by the Eskimo's culture before it started to be changed resp. destroyed by modern influences. What they used was in a circular flow within nature and they have learned not only to survive but live in a rough nature with simple but effectiv methods.

Often modern consum seems to be a one way road but no circulation.

But my inner nature is still confident. Even the old Rom had a problem with pollution. Or think further back in Greek. Herakles had to clean Augias cow boxes within a day. An unsolvable task at first sight ...

Further, the liquid-crystal display televisions that are likely to replace them contain mercury in the fluorescent lightbulbs inside them. "We don't know how to take out the mercury, let alone deal with it responsibly," Smith says....
    Yeah, likewise, those "go Green" CFL bulbs our energy companies are pushing on us, have no means of safe disposal. Sadly, the environmentalists are largely ignorant of this - most enviro rallies and stalls at festivals I work are giving these poisonous things away.

The comment about Hg is very small, but can be found on the packaging. The manufacturers lobbied hard to suppress notice.

There is no means of safe disposal. This mercury will enter the environment through the landfills. Please do not buy them and spead the word - not the Hg...

The proportion of mercury in a PC LCD screen is relatively small compared to household fluorescent tubes.

An alternative here. But would you guys pay the price?

http://videoediting.digitalmedianet....e.jsp?id=33128

6/21/05) Most flat panel displays, otherwise known as LCD monitors, use fluorescent backlight to provide illumination for their screens. But NEC has a new way to provide backlight, using light emitting diodes, or LEDs, evenly lighting the screen of its 2180UX-WG display. Although its decidedly high-end price of $6,500 will scare away most consumers, seasoned professional content creators whose lifeblood is accurate color will be delighted to see the precision with which this product can reproduce more colors than anybody?s ever seen on a monitor. NEC sent us a prototype of the 2180UX-WG for this First Look.

I guess I'm just lucky living where I live——but then that's why I live here.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/OurSt...t/Recycle.aspx

Maybe they haven't cracked the Mercury nut yet, but all other e-trash they will take and actually recycle. That's what they say, at least.

My high resolution 17" MacBook Pro has LED lighting in its display and no mercury or arsenic. Most of its parts are also recyclable. Still, it's a long way from being where I'd like it to be in terms of eco-friendly, and it represents a very small percentage of laptops out there.

One nice thing about most of the Macs I've owned is that there's always someone who'll buy them and keep using them. Some of the PCs I've owned I couldn't give away; I had to pay someone to take them (for legal disposal).
    Out.

Some of you worry too much...........
    Anyone told you that?

As always we can find some third world country that will trade cash for our waste. It won't be the 1st time.

Thread Information