Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glasses on, or glasses off...?

Glasses on, or glasses off...?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Evening, Clark,

To me, this CD is best enjoyed by just sitting down, beverage of choice close at hand, eyes closed...... and then taking in every single nuance that these fantastic performances offer!! To me, this one deserves your complete, and undivided attention, and the rewards for listening that way are outstanding! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Don't forget one of the best and certainly the cheapest "tweak" toward better sound (regardless of what you listen to/on) is to remove your eyeglasses. They create a diffraction pattern around your head that does affect what you hear.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Don't forget one of the best and certainly the cheapest "tweak" toward better sound (regardless of what you listen to/on) is to remove your eyeglasses. They create a diffraction pattern around your head that does affect what you hear.
    Hey, Todd,

I would never have thought of that! Interesting! Has anyone actually measured the effect of wearing eyeglasses, when listening, and can quantify the effect they have on diffraction? Very interesting, indeed! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hey, Todd,

I would never have thought of that! Interesting! Has anyone actually measured the effect of wearing eyeglasses, when listening, and can quantify the effect they have on diffraction? Very interesting, indeed! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Well I have noticed all the top studio engineers wear contact's

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Well I have noticed all the top studio engineers wear contact's
    JOHN!!

Now you stop that, right now!! I am trying to get through all the new posts, and then get to bed!! If you keep this up, I'll be laughing all night!!!!!

Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I use glasses, but have never thought they can inflict the sound I hear, as the ears are on the outside of the head, not like the eyes, inside.... om most of us anyway... But, it's glass, and some reflections must occur. I will test it out myself, but I doubt I will hear any difference. I believe other things in the room is much more critical than eye glasses. But who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I use glasses, but have never thought they can inflict the sound I hear, as the ears are on the outside of the head, not like the eyes, inside.... om most of us anyway... But, it's glass, and some reflections must occur. I will test it out myself, but I doubt I will hear any difference. I believe other things in the room is much more critical than eye glasses. But who knows...
    I think that some of it obviously has to do with the type and size glasses that you wear. I wear "aviator" style with rather large lenses and can definately hear a difference.

Even though my eye sockets are sunk in my head, my glasses stand out from my face. The lens certainly has an effect on the the opposite ear (i.e., left speaker path to right ear is partially obstructed and vice versa). Also, moving your head changes the diffraction pattern.

Some people claim to hear differences in cables/interconnects/etc. I've never been able to do an instantaneous A/B for these type tests so don't know if I can. But, I can instantaneously remove/replace my glasses and, to me, there is an obvious difference.

I think that some of it obviously has to do with the type and size glasses that you wear. I wear "aviator" style with rather large lenses and can definately hear a difference.

Even though my eye sockets are sunk in my head, my glasses stand out from my face. The lens certainly has an effect on the the opposite ear (i.e., left speaker path to right ear is partially obstructed and vice versa). Also, moving your head changes the diffraction pattern.

Some people claim to hear differences in cables/interconnects/etc. I've never been able to do an instantaneous A/B for these type tests so don't know if I can. But, I can instantaneously remove/replace my glasses and, to me, there is an obvious difference.
    Hi Tod. From about 2,5 hours I have been listening to Niel Young "Heart of Gold" on DVD using 2ch DTS. I have taken my glasses on and off, and I can, incredibly, hear a difference. Better without the glasses. I got my wife, who isn't really into sound to do the same, and she said "yes, it's better without the glasses.

We don't use very large ones, but the result an conclusion are clear.

It's the same about cables. Do a "blind test", and I am sure you can hear a difference here to.

I think that some of it obviously has to do with the type and size glasses that you wear...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete

What is so funny in a serious thread? Pictures of over sized glasses or . Minor changes .. many of these small ones can make a big one. One cable, glasses, a wall paper, type of floor. If you add them you might hear a difference. But you who don't care will never hear it.

Has anyone actually measured the effect of wearing eyeglasses, when listening, and can quantify the effect they have on diffraction?
    Yesterday I took off my glasses and there was a noticable effect which I would describe with more clarity in the higher mids. But the effect is small.
    I am used to my glasses for decades, should I take them off?

PS: Now I am curious about the glasses of Elton John - wrong studio monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Yesterday I took off my glasses and there was a noticable effect which I would describe with more clarity in the higher mids. But the effect is small.
    That's what I'm talkin' about. Sure the change is small, but I've always found it to be positive.

But look how much is spent in terms of charge coupling, by-pass caps, bi-wiring, heavy wire, gold interconnects, power conditioners, raising the cables off the floor, and only God knows what that may have no more effect than removing your glasses.

I'm not saying that these other "improvements" don't also pay off in sonic dividends, only that their addition/enhancement may be no more so (but maybe different) than removing your glasses.

Again, I have no way to instantaneously A/B these other "enhancements," so I don't know how much of a difference that any or all of these would make to my ears. But, like the others who have now tried it (I don't know why you never tried before ), I find that it pays off a sonic benefit and always remove my glasses when doing serious listening (and close my eyes).

What is so funny in a serious thread?
    It's a joke, Rolf, obviously. Someone said the "type and size of glasses might matter". Simple. Have a laugh.
    But you who don't care will never hear it.
    Caring doesn't make it true.

...(and close my eyes).
    Now that certainly will make a difference - in your ability to concentrate.

Sensory isolation enhances those senses that aren't. I do believe that helps, and use it. In live SR, I often look away from stage, stare at the console and test myself for "what am I not hearing?", or "what is out-of-balance?". Seeing someone playing can convince you are hearing it. It's called psychoacoustics - a common and large pitfall. I suspect this eyeglass thing is impacted by psychoacoustics. I have not had the beneficial experiences shared here - unless, of course I was wearing those grossly oversized glasses.

I struggle with any "A/B" tests where a clean blind "B" is not possible. You-all know when you are taking your glasses off - therefore, it is impossible to create a blind test for this. To me the observations are mooted - they are too likely compromised by real psychoacoustics.

Todd obviously has very acute and trained hearing and plays a high degree of attention to minute subtleties. I admire that.

Now that certainly will make a difference - in your ability to concentrate.

Sensory isolation enhances those senses that aren't.
    Hmm so is that why a set-up can sound better in a dark room. Less visual distractions??

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hmm so is that why a set-up can sound better in a dark room. Less visual distractions??
    Well, there is two approaches - black out (or eyes closed), or psychoactive agents, which help you "see" music!

I better be serious, or Rolf will whack me again...

Certainly, Rob. The medical community speaks to enhanced hearing capabilities in the blind, enhanced visualization in the deaf.

You are also asking about left-brain - right-brain division of duties. There is an excellent article in a recent New Yorker: "Insight on Insight". It spoke to the need to keep the left-brain quiet so the right-brain can lazily brouse through the brain's database. That's when insight occurs, when solutions are found, when problems are solved. Trouble is, the left-brain is dominant, and easily "awoken" (noise in another room, someone talking at you, etc) - all of which conspire to the right-brain resuming it's subordinate role. This slows insight or discovery or the "Ah HA!" events. The article spoke to those occurrences of insight during mid-night, in the shower, when idly walking the beach, etc. Quite a provocative article.

Anyway, closing the eyes would almost certainly stifle some for the dominant left-brain duties and the right-brain would open-up. That's my read anyway...

Aren't movies better in darkened environments? It focusses your senses on the screen and the audio tracks. Someone innocently passing popcorn can totally ruin one's focus on, and being lost in, a movie...

Thread Information