Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grill Cloth Found

I just thought I'd say, I did my Jubals with the orange from acoustimac.com

It's very nice cloth and looks great on the Jubals. It's not quite the same as the original rust red, I'd bet-- though I've never seen rust red in person. But it looks very nice.

I chose Beige from Speakerworks

After receiving their samples I settled for beige from Speakerworks and am very happy with it. Both the color and the fixation on the L-300 frame worked out perfectly.

Still need to make a picture report of the project and post it... but attached the results.

Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by jdelange View Post
    After receiving their samples I settled for beige from Speakerworks and am very happy with it. Both the color and the fixation on the L-300 frame worked out perfectly.

Still need to make a picture report of the project and post it... but attached the results.

Jan
    Wow Jan,

That's a super nice modern-danish look, that you've got going with your L300s . Is that new veneer ?

Really nice !

><

That's a really nice look in that environment!

The L-300 is just a beautiful design, I think. Very nice work on those.

Veneer

Thanks guys.

Earl: yes, that's new veneer. In fact, everything is new. They're built from scratch. The veneer is oak treated with white wash oil. As I wrote, I owe this forum a photo reportage of the building process, but I get distracted by other stuff.

I'll make an effort.

Jan

White veneer finish

I got a request from a member (MCM_Fan) on the white veneer finish of my L300 shown in this tread. Thought I share my info on the forum. The speakers are finished with oak veneer and then oiled with white Danish "Woca" Worktop Oil. The oil is applied with a brush, then given some time to soak in, and then take most it of with a piece of cloth. The instructions are given on the can (pics attached). For me one layer / application was sufficient. I have to dig in my archives to find the L300 pics, but I had the pics of the subwoofer I did later at hand, so I have attached those.

The white finish is quite durable, even after 6-7 years they are still light and haven't turned yellow. Furthermore, since this is an oil finish, I gather it should be quite easy to refresh the finish.

One more note: depending on your painting / oiling sequence, be sure to cover all, because paint will have a hard time to stick to oil, and the oil is very difficult to remove from earlier painted parts once dried. I decided to apply to apply the oil as the last step.

In answer to a question on the color of the frame holding the cloth: since I use the beige cloth I thought a light frame would work better than black, but this is not the case! (I tried it) A black frame is less visible than a lighter (beige) frame, so I made mine black.

Name:  IMG_0901.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  69.7 KBName:  IMG_0936.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  85.2 KBName:  IMG_4587.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  93.8 KBName:  IMG_4588.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  89.2 KB

Thanks to Jan's inspiration and much appreciated guidance, I finished the restoration of my JBL L36 Decades this morning; Here's a couple photos of how they turned out:

Obviously, a much more modest design than Jan's gorgeous L300s, but I'm very pleased with the way they turned out and am now enjoying my first pair of JBL speakers. Thanks for your help Jan!

Looks very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by MCM_Fan View Post
    Thanks to Jan's inspiration and much appreciated guidance, I finished the restoration of my JBL L36 Decades this morning
    they look great..esp like the crisp corners on the cloth.

one thing IMHO would make your nice living room pic better is to hide the speaker wires.maybe run along the baseboard/floor line and up the backs of the stands ?

where in PDX are you ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    they look great..esp like the crisp corners on the cloth.

one thing IMHO would make your nice living room pic better is to hide the speaker wires.maybe run along the baseboard/floor line and up the backs of the stands ?

where in PDX are you ?
    Thanks, the grill cloth is the same that Jan purchased from speakerworks.com, right here in Eugene, OR. It's great stuff, easy to work with and for $11.95, I got enough for both grills, plus a spare in case one ever gets damaged.

Those speaker cables aren't long enough to run along the baseboard and up the backs of the stands. The back pole on the stands actually has holes for speaker wires, but they aren't big enough for the banana plugs. Looks like my next project may be some custom DIY speaker cables.

I'm out in the Rock Creek area.

Very nice indeed!! What a difference from what you started with. Cloth is very well done too. I agree with the comment on the cables. Ah... where would we be if there was no room for improvement somewhere...

That cloth looks incredibly good/authentic, and that treatment of the L300 (and the L36) is simply stunning. I always knew the L300 was a work of art, both sonically and visually, but your work really drives home the point. Kudos!

Old thread with Life

Just a latter 2016 update. I've recently ordered brown, blue and orange grille cloth from Huntley Audio via eBay. For the Studio Blue cloth, this is claimed to be the exact same material, from the same manufacturer, as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by MCM_Fan View Post
    Thanks to Jan's inspiration and much appreciated guidance, I finished the restoration of my JBL L36 Decades this morning; Here's a couple photos of how they turned out:

Obviously, a much more modest design than Jan's gorgeous L300s, but I'm very pleased with the way they turned out and am now enjoying my first pair of JBL speakers. Thanks for your help Jan!
    Ackkkkk!!! I see my photos have been victimized by the PhotoBucket extortion virus.

So, here's a few more of my re-imagined L36 Decades using the same SpeakerWorks beige grill fabric and WOCA countertop oil as Jan's magnificent L300 Summits:

Thread Information