Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grill Cloth Found

Grill Cloth Found

Hey all, I have been searching the world for L26 Orange grill cloth. I think that this is as close as we're going get. acoustimac.com sells their "DMD Acoustic Fabric" in 23 different colors. I don't have it in hand yet so not sure of the texture. You guys looking for Blue may get lucky. Found site searching "Acoustically Transparent Fabric". Just a note: the fabrics sold everywhere online cannot be dyed. Enjoy.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by elwood127 View Post
    You guys looking for Blue may get lucky.
    Look up member "Zilch" here. He has actually sourced the original JBL Blue grille cloth used in all its studio monitors, and has a supply readily available.

John

Please post an update. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the fabric, etc.
    Thanks
    Steve

Also, post some pics please, especially if you have a sample of the original left to compare against.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Campbell, California in the Silicon Valley

Orange!

I am also looking for JBL orange grille cloth.

I have absolutely no interest in Zilch blue.

If anyone knows a source please post!

JBL Orange

I had to buy 5 yds. of material as a minimum purchase. I will have 3 extra yds. to sell. Was going to do ebay but if the color is close and you are interested I'd rather sell to a forum type. Am supposed to have cloth by end of week. I'll post the results. I uncovered my L26's today to get ready and found original orange fragments on grills. Will let you know if colors are close. Brian.

I'm in for your extra.
    SB

Extra cloth

You got it man. I'll let you know if color is worthy. Brian.

Fabric

Hey all, I have been searching the world for L26 Orange grill cloth. I think that this is as close as we're going get. acoustimac.com sells their "DMD Acoustic Fabric" in 23 different colors. I don't have it in hand yet so not sure of the texture. You guys looking for Blue may get lucky. Found site searching "Acoustically Transparent Fabric". Just a note: the fabrics sold everywhere online cannot be dyed. Enjoy.
    I ordered a set of samples of the fabric from acoustimac.com. The colors are very close especially the brown and blue. The camel looks quite nice as well. The down side is the grain is about twice as large as original, it has a one way stretch, but looks quite usable. The acoustic transparency looks almost identical when you hold it to the light as the original. This would make a good replacement in lieu of the original.

http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_grill_cloth_fabric_s/25.htm has a better grain pattern and looks just like original. This has a 2 way stretch which is easier to work with. Thickness is slightly thinner. The black is the only color that is a really good JBL match. The other colors are quite a few shades off. Transparency is excellent probally even more open than original.

In my opinion the best options are: for black use speaker works, for brown use acoustimac, and for blue contact Zilch.

My 2 cents

MB
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mbottz View Post
    My 2 cents

I have bought the black from Speaker Works and would agree... the Zilch blue is the original JBL Blue, so it is a perfect match.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by mbottz View Post
    I ordered a set of samples of the fabric from acoustimac.com. The colors are very close especially the brown and blue. The camel looks quite nice as well. The down side is the grain is about twice as large as original, it has a one way stretch, but looks quite usable. The acoustic transparency looks almost identical when you hold it to the light as the original. This would make a good replacement in lieu of the original.

http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_grill_cloth_fabric_s/25.htm has a better grain pattern and looks just like original. This has a 2 way stretch which is easier to work with. Thickness is slightly thinner. The black is the only color that is a really good JBL match. The other colors are quite a few shades off. Transparency is excellent probally even more open than original.

In my opinion the best options are: for black use speaker works, for brown use acoustimac, and for blue contact Zilch.

My 2 cents

MB

I got fabric from both Acoustimac and Speakerworks, looking only for brown. The Acoustimac is pretty much an exact match for the L series brown. The grain is perfect, and even the "one-way" stretch is exactly like the original.

Do we have an update on the orange grill cloth consensus from acoustimac.com? I have a pair of L36's in dire need of a recloth and I'd like to keep it the original color.

This is a good thread. I'd also like to hear if there is consensus on the orange. I have a pair of Jubals I'd like to do.

L300 beige (camel?) grill cloth

I nearly finished my L300s from scratch. All that's needed is the beige (camel?) grill cloth that is used on the L300 in the ad with the chello:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...300/page1a.jpg

Is Mike Botts' suggesion at acoustimac the best option?

Jan

not that it matters, but that is a double-bass, not a 'cello, in that picture.

Thread Information