Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL L-350's Test!

JBL L-350's Test!

So I just couldnt resist driving up to seattle and buying those L-350's some of you saw on ebay. So how do they sound? Well amazing, I'm enjoyin the sound they produce a little more than my L300's. Advantages seem to be the tweeter and horn are more at ear level which really really helps by the way. Bottom end seems really smooth and tight I will be testing them a little more just got them home Cabinets are beautifully made, they did an excellent job even with the grills which are 3d like the L300 grills. They do weigh more than 100 lbs, i'd say 150 lbs or so each.

nah, we've seen the SELLER's pictures a few times,
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=13616
    we want to see them in YOUR system!

The basic info: the 350s had all L300 drivers plus a 15" passive radiator ( 12-21-2006, 01:31 PM)

Giskard said:
    The S300 was fairly common back then as was adding the PR15C. The S300 kit went for $915 plus $55 for the PR15C for a total of $970. 136H, LE85, 077, HL92, LX300, PR15C. People usually bought the S300 kit along with the EN5 for a total kit price of $1,165. The L300 went for $1,395 at that same time.

The really funny thing is that everytime this thing gets talked up, the newcomer who is talking about can't figure how to upload pictures - its almost like its the same person each time that is talking it up!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I just got them home and I am away for the weekend, I havent had a chance to take any pictures yet. I will for sure post some. I only have 30 watts rms going to them right now while my sansui gets fixed so I cant wait to hear what they sound like with 160 watts, plus these seem to be really efficient in the low end, really puts out the bass with little wattage.

Anyone have any cool tips on getting a woofer out that has been glued in around the inside edge with out being able to reach the back side of the speaker...? I cant believe anyone would glue the woofers in!

clmrt
    Place a wooden block on the floor to stop the cabinet as you drop it face-down from a few inches.

Inertia will force the driver to pop out the rest of the way to the floor.

I had to do that with an L26 of all things. A little easier than what you face, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt View Post
    Place a wooden block on the floor to stop the cabinet as you drop it face-down from a few inches.

Inertia will force the driver to pop out the rest of the way to the floor.

I had to do that with an L26 of all things. A little easier than what you face, I'm sure.
    I've done it this way too, just dont drop the baffle flat on the tweeers, I use a rolled up towel to stop it.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thanks

Wow thanks guys thats a good idea, ill give it a try later on tonight when I have more help these things are huge. One of the 136a woofers was re-surrounded with the foam on the wrong side (hate it when idiots do this) and I think it must have messed up the coil because you can hear it bottoming out probably wasnt alligned correctly. I managed to get the surround off the front face but it still bottoms out you can hear it hitting when you push the cone in all the way, no scraping on the way down just at the bottom. The passive radiators have also been surrounded the wrong way, That will be the first thing I fix, The other 136a is in perfect condition jbl cone too! 077's have original diaphrams, Im sure the le 85's do too. Well enough rambling ill give that a try and hopefully I can get these woofers out!

Bad news

So I soon found that there was no way in removing the woofers except for removing the front baffle. So Right now I have it all removed and will be making a new one in the next few days. Should I add an 8" 1118 woofer and make it a 4 way while Im at it? Cant fit a 10" Thanks guys
    Eric

"Should I add an 8" 1118 woofer and make it a 4 way while Im at it? Cant fit a 10" Thanks guys"

You are running passive?? Well not unless you want to redesign the crossovers and retune the box. You are going to loose close to .6-.75 of a cubic ft. of interior space if you go with a .5cu ft sub enclosure for the 2118. You need to do some serious home work before you just drop one into the mix.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jblfan077 View Post
    So I soon found that there was no way in removing the woofers except for removing the front baffle. So Right now I have it all removed and will be making a new one in the next few days. Should I add an 8" 1118 woofer and make it a 4 way while Im at it? Cant fit a 10" Thanks guys
    Eric
    Sure you can fit a 10 - if you don't use the PR and just use a single 15 per box!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Sure you can fit a 10 - if you don't use the PR and just use a single 15 per box!
    Good point... and many of us think that a ported woofer has a tighter, more defined sound than one with a passive anyway.

Widget

Would I really have to retune it since its sealed if I add an 8", Do you think I would enjoy the sound better with a 4 way single 15 and a 10" midrange. The problem is If I port the box with only a single 15" then I will have to completly tune it and to be honest I dont have a lot of experience with that. Yes I was thinking about re doing the crossovers or run active ones, Either way. Whats your guy's opinions on this whole thing, or should I just leave it the way it is, I have to re do the front baffles anyways but I dont have a lot of experience tuning. Thanks agian
    Eric

options

here is my options

1. Keep the way it is
    2. keep the passive and add an 8" mid and change crossovers
    3. Get rid of the passive and port the box and add a 10" mid
    4. Change the passive to an active 15 so there is dual actives in each box and port it, and possibly add an 8" mid or not. I really want to make this the best speaker I can while Im doing this, and I know you are the right guys to get advice. Thanks!
    Eric

Thread Information