Thread: L300's Get to STAY! Need crossover help now.

L300's Get to STAY! Need crossover help now.

A while back I posted here about a pair of L300's I obtained from an estate sale. After having the 136A's professionally reconed by JBL, the sound is simply blistfull. My wife didn't like the look of them and said they had to go.....

When I got them out of the living room (the only place I have to keep them) and put my Paradigm Studio 100's back in, well, to say I was dissapointed is an understatement. I had experienced this amazing "live" in the house sound with a huge soundstage with the L300's and when the Paradigms went back in.... It didn't compare... The Paradigms seemed to have a low end hump around 80Hz or so.

I couldn't let go of that sound. I am a musician and have spent many years jamming in various venues and "Jam rooms". The sound of the L300's instantly placed me in the Jam room of the bands I was listening to.

After some negotiations with my wife and time passing for her to get used to them being around, allowed me to keep them!

Now that they will be mine forever, I would like to replace the caps in the crossovers. I noticed with the amp on MONO there is a slightly different crossover point for either of the woofers. I suspect this is due to the age of the crossover and the type of capacitors used.

I would like to replace the existing caps with AuriCaps or MultiCaps. Has anyone here any experience with rebuilding a 3133 crossover?

It looks a little hard to access the two boards under the top one...

Any suggestions or experiences with high end caps vs standard or experiences with rebuilding the 3133 crossover would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by MuthaFunk; 11-06-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added info

Hey, MuthaFunk,

Congratulations on being able to keep your L300's! As you may have read, those are MY favorite vintage JBL system, and my wife, Sweet Bride, likes them, too!! Have fun with your's! Others have already posted info on getting into their crossovers, have you done a search for that? Give that a try, and I think you will find what you seek. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. You will find out that some folks don't care much for the L300's, but also that there are quite a few others that dearly love them, like Sweet Bride and me, or very much want to own a pair! Stick with what sounds good to you! And, regarding the "live" sound of the L300's, I couldn't agree more!! Very live, indeed, and a huge soundstage!! Love 'em!!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information