Thread: L300/ Summit?

L300/ Summit?

Good Evening, Friends,

I note that some L300's are marked "Summit", and many are not. From what I have seen, it would appear that the older ones were the ones that were marked as the "Summit", is that right? Or, was it the other way around? Mine are marked, simply, "L300", with no "Summit" appellation attached. Thanks for any information you can share with me. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I'm pretty sure the L300 designation was the later version after the move to Northridge.

Hi, 57Belaire,

Thanks, very much! I just got a PM from an new member, DumdumBoy, and he said the same thing: Summit = Alnico; L300 = Ferrite. Makes sense to me, and fits with what I've seen "out there", when checking around. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hi, 57Belaire,

Thanks, very much! I just got a PM from an new member, DumdumBoy, and he said the same thing: Summit = Alnico; L300 = Ferrite. Makes sense to me, and fits with what I've seen "out there", when checking around. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    We have had this discussion in the past..

when is an L100 a "Century" ?
    L166 a "Horizon" ?
    L36 a "Decade" ??
    L300 a "Summit" ? etc,etc

or not...

I dont think its alnico vs ferrite , but we never (AFAIK) did get an answer.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Obsolete
    They were names that made it onto some foilcals. For instance, the L96 (SFG ferrite) was the Delta but you will probably never see that on an actual foilcal. I tried to include all the cute little names for the various models in the price list.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I dont think its alnico vs ferrite
    It isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    They were names that made it onto some foilcals. For instance, the L96 (SFG ferrite) was the Delta but you will probably never see that on an actual foilcal. I tried to include all the cute little names for the various models in the price list.
    is there any scheme as to when the names were used on the foilcal or not ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It isn't.
    Evening, 4313B, and SeaWolf,

Thanks, very much, for adding that much-needed information! I'd rather know the honest truth, than pass along false information, and I'm sure most others would feel the same. If you have any more info, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm quite happy just calling my beloved speakers "My L300's"!!! Thanks, Guys, for the info, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    is there any scheme as to when the names were used on the foilcal or not ?
    I'll try to remember to ask someone at some point.

have both!

I have l300 marked as l300 with 136a and marked as summit with 136a so i dont know when you can tell it is a ferrit speaker. i will put in some date and serial nr. but i only has alnico l300.

Hey, a_fossen,

Congrats on owning two sets of what I consider to be one of the finest vintage speakers you can find!! Well done!

I read your post asking about putting one pair on top of the other, upsidedown, and that is an interesting idea. Let us know how it works out, if you try it, OK? How about some photos of your L300's? As to the difference between the Alnico and ferrite magnets, I very much like our 2235H's in our L300's, but the first L300's I ever heard had the other woofer, and I thought they were outstanding. I have heard that the 2235H's do a little deeper, or do so with more authority. I can only say that we like them, very much. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Thread Information