Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrival of the Evil Twins, SUB1500 cabinets

Arrival of the Evil Twins, SUB1500 cabinets

Hi all

Since there have been so much discussion on the SUB1500 driver I thought I would post some pictures on the "Evil Twins".

They’re just of the workbench and in final form except for amounts of fibre fill.

I have to do some testing to see where I come out.

My first impression is that YOU CANNOT HAVE TO MUCH POWER with these things. I tried my UREI 6230 amps and they started clipping immediately. Even when bridged.

Since the other SUB1500 thread got ridiculously long, I propose that all cabinets for the SUB1500 be posted in this thread.

Best regards

//Robert

The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

RIP 2009
    Beautiful!

John

Obsolete

Re: Arrival of the Evil Twins, SUB1500 cabinets

Very nicely done!

Yea, very nice look!

Curious on the internal wiring - looks like you are double-stranding that (14 AWG...?) wire? But, the surface contact area of them Neutrik is pretty limited. Just wonder whether the double-strand is compromised by the terminals...?

I struggle with the same-same. All heavy gauge wiring but the cabinet terminals are invariably of limited contact area...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by boputnam; 04-16-2004 at 09:54 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

NICE!

Very nice woodwork indeed!

How much power do you need for these? I would recommend the Crown Studio Reference 1 which would yeild you 800wpc@8ohms! This would be a match made in heaven.

Jeez! Gorgeous!

First off - abosolutely a beautiful job. Kudos to you sir.

Now for an FYI. Anyone needing high current capabilities or to be able to handle large guage (up to 4awg) wire. These from Parts Express are pretty trick. They are way overkill on my A7's, but I didn't realize how large they were when I ordered them. I just use some 12 gauge and some bananas.

sebackman: ' My first impression is that YOU CANNOT HAVE TO MUCH POWER with these things. I tried my UREI 6230 amps and they started clipping immediately. Even when bridged."

Not to refute your statement about the power need of those drivers--others have said similar things, but---let me demonstrate that I know nothing about electronics:

Those amps are not rated for 4 ohms when bridged. Could it be that bridging them into 4 ohms gains you nothing and creates a semi-unstable circuit?

David

Gorgeous, if you ever go into business I might be interested!
    C.

dieterj
    Hi Robert,

Great Subs,
    when you need more Power, you can check a Crown K2, great for Bass.
    Sometimes in eBay

Regards
    Dieter

Hi all

Thank you for all the positive comments.

Boputnam, you are absolutely right. I´ve got a bunch of kids and decided early to use Speakon connectors instead of regular bananas. In the subbs I use the 8-pole version, and in order to simplify I use 4x2.5mm2 (4x14 awg) and then cross connect in the Neutrik plug (see picture). I am going to use the same cable from the amp to the subs. -Should work. They (the Neutriks) can take about 30A per contact pair and I’m using 4 in parallel.

On the Urei 6230 I am aware that they do not like 2 ohms, but they do run. The same goes for bridged into 4 ohms. Since I have two subbs I tried to connect them in series but with little success. Anyway, the two 6230s are only to power the rear speakers in my HT. I have a 6290 for the subbs, but it just wasn’t around when I did the test. Maybe the 6290 is a little weak. We’ll see.

If the 6290 prove to be to weak I will have to find something stronger. K2 is definitely a contender but it is a few years old in design (1997). The CE4000 uses the same type of power stages but with a switched power supply and a fan. Since my power amps are mounted in the basement the fan noise is not really a problem for me.

Better still may be the CTs series, which is a more modern design than CE4000 and the K2. All three uses similar power stages but the K2 uses a toroid transformer, whereas the CE4000 and the CTs 2000 and 3000 use a switched power unit. I would put the CTs at the top of the bunch if the fan noise at high output levels were acceptable.

The best would of course be to use the Studio Reference amps but they are very expensive over here.

I think that 600W@4ohm is the minimum required and a good option would be 800-1200W@4ohms.

Best regards

//Robert

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Hi there:

The absolutely, deffinitely, best speaker connector is: none; I was fantasizing about making some out of pure Cu and plate them with Ag, when I realized that running 6 Ga cable thru a hole in the cabinet, sealing them, and running them direct to the amp was best, the simpler the better.

Alex.

Frode
    Very nice, Robert! Have you ever tried the amps from LAB Gruppen? They seems to be quite easy to get in our part of the world.

Frode

LAB Gruppen

Hi Alex.

Totally agree with you. That would be the best solution.

However, my HT is located in the living room. That means that I will have to be able to move and occasionally remove the cabinets. Given the alternatives, I think the Neutriks are a decent compromise.

Best regards
    //Robert

Hi Alex.

Totally agree with you. That would be the best solution.

However, my HT is located in the living room. That means that I will have to be able to move and occasionally remove the cabinets. Given the alternatives, I think the Neutriks are a decent compromise.

Best regards
    //Robert

Thread Information