Thread: Season Of The Witch

Season Of The Witch

This could have been a poll, but I would rather hear what you think about the versions and why. Many of us, I suspect, have been struck with some performance or other of this song. It seems to lend itself to powerful, heartfelt interpretations by talented musicians and singers, kind of a high water mark of well known songs that actually have balls in addition to whatever makes a song popular. I like a few versions for sure, but my fave is Dr. John on the Blues Brothers 2000 soundtrack. (Incidentally one heck of a system test.)

Here is a rundown of some possibilities, in addition to Donovan's original, from Wikipedia. I see several truly memorable renditions here:

I understand Richard Thompson did it for Crossing Jordan, but I have not heard it yet.

If this seems like a good idea for a thread, feel free to give the treatment to All Along The Watchtower and Little Wing. I'm sure you all can think of some other likely candidates.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Stills

Stills using the wah wah pedal with Kooper on Super Session was the sh*t back in the day.
    Kooper's Hammond with Leslie solo is amazing also !
    My $.02

Donovan

I have to say his version is the only one I have ever listened to.

Now I have to track the others down!

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

This has been an old fav of mine too and have collected various versions. the Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Stephen Stills
    version is one I listen to the most
    , as far as Julie Driscoll goes , her "Light My Fire" vocal is really special ...there is a long sexy vocal sustain at the end that is super.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I just unearthed some weirdness. I grabbed an mp3 of Robert Plant doing Season live in Sweden. Apparently he he has performed it more than once over the years. It is also on a - I think - bootleg, Sheffield 1999.

I am getting the feeling there is a lot more out there than I thought. Anyone aware of other obscure performances?

Dr John still gets the nod from me. Slashing, slicing, haunting and subtle all at the same time. And since he is the most talented guy around , he would be the most talented musician to take it on that I am aware of. Well, Stills is a god of talent too. Either of them could have their own category on this music forum!

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Stills is a god of talent too.
    Which brings up an unrelated question: I have most everything Stills recorded with the exception of a rare and out-of-print 1991 CD "Stills Alone". Crazy people are asking often well-over $100 for this item. About the cheapest I've found it is around $50. Without having heard it, I'm reluctant to spend that much for what may amount to one or two must-have cuts and since the label (Vision) apparently doesn't have any intention of re-issuing it, I'd really love to get a copy of it from someone with either a copy or an original. I believe the version of "Treetop Flyer" on this CD was released recently on Stills' "Just Roll Tape", which I own, but I don't know for sure. A good tune I could stand owning in any other version, too. Yeah I know there are several on Ebay but they always finish over $50 and we've already established that I am a bottom-feeder!.

If you own this CD, would you consider sending me burned copy?

Thanks!

that career mite have been different

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I have most everything Stills recorded !
    yes, but do you have his Monkees audition tape ?

"Stills did session work and went to various auditions (including an unsuccessful one for The Monkees"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Stills

I can just picture him cavorting and doing slapstick ..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I can just picture him cavorting and doing slapstick ..
    Well, at one time he did have sort of a Micky Dolenz/Peter Tork mop-top 'do.

J.A.F.S.

Cool Julie Driscoll

I saw Julie Driscoll when I was stationed in the UK in the late '60's --- whata gal! Great singer too...
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

I have just heard a Richard Thompson version, 9:18 long. For what it is worth, I like it quite a lot. With his level of talent, I expected to.

Clark

Thread Information