Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else using active X/O?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by discus96 View Post
    I have all the components 2235H, 2202H, 2441 and 2405H and intend to use two Behringer DCX 24/96 as active x-overs.
    Isn't there anything better out there? That's kind of like shoving a Ford Pinto motor into a Maserati isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by discus96 View Post
    Any suggestion? Is it a crazy trial or you think that would bring a benefit from cutting out the the old jbl 3107 crossover?
    Those components are 4355 components. Use a cc 3155 network.

xilica has an xo with brick wall FIR filters, they cost around 2000 euro here, it's by far the cheapest linear phase cross-over i could find.

Still debating whether to pick the one with or without this feature. (their non brick wall version is 1/3rd that price and seems to be pretty good too)

I have used active crossovers in my system for 15+ years beginning with my attempt to build the "Ancient Audiophiles Quest for the Ultimate System" as found in the Perspectives page on this site. A good fun read for anyone who hasn't yet found it.

I used a Furman Sound 4 way with big Adcoms on the 18's and 15's and a Rane MA-6 for mids and highs. Fun!

Next came a Rane AC 23 with delays! Big help. A JBL m552 split the bottom.

Then a DBX Drive rack. Its now in the garage system.

Now it is 5 way active with a DBX260 on each side. I am quite happy with them.

Even then, its tough enough with a TEF unit, LinearX CrossoverShop and a decent pair of ears, I seriously don't know how the folks in passive land get it done! My hats off to them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Serum View Post
    xilica has an xo with brick wall FIR filters, they cost around 2000 euro here, it's by far the cheapest linear phase cross-over i could find.

Still debating whether to pick the one with or without this feature. (their non brick wall version is 1/3rd that price and seems to be pretty good too)
    The xilica is too limited with its power for usable 96khz FIR crossovers.
    The software does not tell the truth about the slopes you get at the end, and the unit clearly does not have enough taps for even 3-way speakers (let alone 4-way).
    You can share the total 1600 taps among channels, but as the unit only allows for brickwall filters (ie the shape and slope is commended by the number of taps and the frequency) you absolutely need to have the same number of taps each side of a crossover point to get matching slopes (and canceling ringing).

A better unit is the Ev DX46.
    It only has 6 channels but 512 taps per channel (and in 48khz...).
    It also only have brickwall filters, but much more usable, and it is cheaper to boot!
    This is the unit I am currently using.

Another alternative to obtain linear phase filters (and systems) is to correct the phase of a existing IIR filter (such as the DCX).
    I recently started developing a software that does just that:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rephase/

It is still in beta but a new version is coming along.
    It produces a phase-correction impulse (and also phase-linear magnitude corrections and filters of arbitrary slopes, but that is not its main purpose) that you can then use with a convolution software (such as foobar2000 convolver or VST convolver which are both free) or hardware (like the minidsp openDRC) inline with your DCX2496 or any other IIR digital or analog crossover (or even with passive speakers).

have you ever tried the le 'cleach theory on your filters? I'll have a look at the software!

I don't use Le Cleac'h filters. Trying to align the impulses of drivers that are shifted by phase-minimal filters does not look really sound to me.
    If I have to use minimal-phase (IIR) filters I prefer Linkwitz-Riley types (with EQ to obtain real L-R acoustic slopes), and live with the phase shifts...
    (or correct them using rephase )

In my system, the cut-off points of 4-way active crossover Techvox TPX2341SM:

Subwoofer: 20-63 hz (mono)
    Woofer: 63-190 hz (Not exactly the same on both channels)
    Mid: 190-1100 hz (Not exactly the same on both channels)
    Treble: 1100-20000 hz (Not exactly the same on both channels)

Subwoofer: Dahlquist DQ-1W (with SS)
    Woofers: D123 (with SE-KT88)
    Mid: D123 (with SE-2A3)
    High: 2420/811B (with Pure Triode)

11 years I use the active crossover.

Victório Benatti
    4 x D123 + 2 x 2420/811B + DQ-1W

Thread Information