Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ti10k for 2000 dollars - a good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    What sort of amp were they on? These bad boys want 400 WPC for normal listening, 200 WPC for hard rocking high-distortion music, and 500 WPC+ for high-end acoustic music. A lesser amp will get sucked into clipping pretty easy and will sound yucky. It's pretty amazing how easy some amps drive themselves into clipping. Any bass problems were likely room-related, but there's no reason not to use a GOOD sub with them. The 1500 Array would be the obvious choice.
    erm... why all this wattage? these are rather sensitive speakers and I don't intend blowing my eardrums

Quote Originally Posted by lofi-ear View Post
    erm... why all this wattage? these are rather sensitive speakers and I don't intend blowing my eardrums
    Suggest you read up on speaker power requirements. Has nothing to do with volume and everything to do with transients. When under-driven, even the finest speaker will deliver sound very much like what you described. It's called clipping (for the most part). Here's a somewhat dated, but still accurate discussion: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../power-req.htm

I wouldn't insult these speakers with anything less than 200 WPC, and would prefer much more.

is ti6k better soundquality-wise?

Hi again,
    Is the smaller ti6k a better loudspeaker as far as sound quality is concerned? I know that 10k will play alot louder but being a 4-way speaker with a very complex crossover network I guess the 3-way ti6k would be a lot easier to design "successfully" - also a few magazine reviews have praised the ti6k whereas the larger brother has gained more dubious comments concerning bass response and imaging..

Any comments?

In most cases, no it is not. In some cases, yes it is.

The Ti10K needs a bigger space to fully open up. A Ti6K will sound better in a smaller room, unless you do specific room treatments to accommodate the Ti10K.

Over the years, I've marveled at the rooms that many speaker reviewers and critics use to audition speakers in their homes. It's a miracle anything sounds good in them, and, if anything does, it's usually the smaller speakers that fare better.

Many of us have rooms that tend to favor smaller speakers, too, though it's not uncommon for some of our enthusiasts to have speakers that are way too large for the room and can never really be turned up and enjoyed as designed. Sure, they'll play LOUD, but they won't really have the space to open up to their full glory.

It's not just square feet/square meters that matter, its cubic feet/cubic meters that matter as well in a room. A 10x12x8 room has only 960 cubic feet in it. A 14x20x7 basement room has 1,960 cubic feet. I have a 14x16 room that would appear to be smaller than a 14x20 room, but my speakers see it as larger, because with its 11' ceiling, it has 2,464 cubic feet.

You still need to have enough distance between listener and speakers and need to check room modes, etc., so a 6x8 room with 30' ceilings (1,440 cubic feet) makes no sense and does not produce a better room than 10x12x8.

Anyhow this is getting off topic. Its intent is to say the Ti6K will be ideal in many of the typical rooms in regular houses, but in a larger room the Ti10K will be the clear choice.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 09-14-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: grammar
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Suggest you read up on speaker power requirements. Has nothing to do with volume and everything to do with transients. When under-driven, even the finest speaker will deliver sound very much like what you described. It's called clipping (for the most part). Here's a somewhat dated, but still accurate discussion: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../power-req.htm

I wouldn't insult these speakers with anything less than 200 WPC, and would prefer much more.
    how is the power requirement affected by this being a 6ohm design (I've only owned 8ohm)

thanks

Don't let those higher power ratings fool you. The difference from 100-400 watts is only 6db. Anything less than a 6db change is really insignificant. All that really works out to be is a little more added headroom. So 200-500 hundred is no big deal.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Its intent is to say the Ti6K will be ideal in many of the typical rooms in regular houses, but in a larger room the Ti10K will be the clear choice.
    This is beginning to sound a lot like your L7 v. L5 discussion. Just adding some zeros to the acquisition price.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    This is beginning to sound a lot like your L7 v. L5 discussion. Just adding some zeros to the acquisition price.
    Why yes it does. It reflects the fact that speaker size and room size do matter, though it's important not to make the erroneous assumption that small rooms and small speakers or large rooms and large speakers always go together.
    Out.

Thread Information