Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with D-123

help with D-123

Hello Folks
    My first post as a newly registered member. I just acquired a pair of D-123's and I am looking for information on the best enclosure to build for them. I did a few searches here and checked the FAQ's, but I did not find much. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with information on a good enclosure to build (diy) for this speaker. A site with plans would be most welcome.
    Thanks
    Vince

clmrt
    Are you going to use it as a mid-woof or a woof?

That's a good question .....

I have been very impressed with the midrange of this speaker and I saw a post that said it should make a very good midrange in a 3-way system, but I was hoping to stay uncomplicated. I was thinking last night that a two way speaker and a sub-woofer might be the way to go. Got any good ideas for using it as a woofer?

clmrt
    I'm not sure if I was the last person here to try the 2-way thing with a D123, but my limited attempts failed in that it wouldn't play bass.

I'm using 123A-1's in place of the D123 and it's a whole new ballgame. Better, I mean. Perfect, actually, for now.

I think 4 cubic feet tuned to 50Hz is the best you can get on paper. Closed Q=.707 would be 3.35 feet but would be bass shy and would need to be high-passed at about 100 to avoid damage.

Play with WinISD Pro to get a feel for it.

Maybe read up on the "Econowave" threads and consider a sealed, actively hi-passed 2-way 3.3 cu ft box with a horn top end.

If you find it a wasted effort, the woofers could be swapped with nearly any decent 12".

no sense re-inventing the wheel.....

Sounds like you have been there and it didn't work. What would be the best enclosure to use if I just wanted the 123 for it's midrange magic and had a subwoofer for the low end?

download WinISD and try experimenting with this driver (it is included) in sealed and vented boxes.
    You will also find many exemples and curves in the links I posted above

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    You will also find many examples and curves in the links I posted above
    It's a wonder we don't have a bad attitude.

[Can't click the links for 'em, alas.... ]

you give me too much credit pos....

I know diddly squat about designing speaker boxes. I would not know what to do with the design program if it walked up and bit me in the arse. What I am looking for are some plans from someone who has already been there and done that. I sent an email to the dude in South America who built something like what I want to do, but I have not heard back from him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    I know diddly squat about designing speaker boxes. I would not know what to do with the design program if it walked up and bit me in the arse. What I am looking for are some plans from someone who has already been there and done that. I sent an email to the dude in South America who built something like what I want to do, but I have not heard back from him yet.
    Back in the days when JBL was in the business of selling drivers like the D123 to retail customers such as yourself they published construction guides. You can find what you need on these pages in our library:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1970s-kit.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...ns/c35-c39.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../jbl-plans.htm

Well......

It looks like there is general agreement that 4-5 feet cubed is the way to go, and the 5 cubic foot enclosure plans from JBL ought to do the trick. Just one last question...
    I have a spiffy pair of Klipsch Cornwalls that I like pretty well. I am wondering if there is any way to use a separate enclosure for the 123 and set it on top of the cornwalls and tie them in as midrange speakers. I know I would have to figure out some sort of cross over, but do you folks think the 123's would fight with the mid horns of the klipsches if I did that? The cornwalls have 15" woofers and plenty of bass, so it would take care of that problem. Or do you all think I would be better off building a new enclosure for the 123's?.
    Thanks for all the help!
    Vince

You know... it'd be interesting to LIGHTLY aquaplas a D123... not as much as the 123A, of course... but a light coat. Maybe like 10 grams or so, tops.

I'm guessing that you could get bass down into the high-30s, probably... without losing much sensitivity or too adversely affecting the high-frequency response...

Gordon, I am most interested by these aquaplass experiments.
    I have a 2123H that has a broken frame here (my fault... ) and would be the ideal condidate for such an experiment!
    That is what JBL did to turn the 2251J (mms 32g) into 251J (mms 58g, with aquaplass + mass ring) for their Hercule center channel.

The 2123H mms is 25g. I would like to be able to go down to 150 or 200Hz without too much equalisation, and also calm down the rising in frequency above 600Hz. 95db/1w/1m would also be a target.
    The 251J is only 91.6dB/1w/1m so I guess adding 26g is a bit to much for my purpose.

Is there a way to simulate how would 10g of aquaplass affect T/S parameters (I know that was done in a recent "heavy 2226h" thread, but I don't know the formula used)

FWIW, on the low-end, in WinISD you can add mass to the transducer without
    modifying the T/S model parameters themselves. I wouldn't believe the high-end
    business of the model though. I left the box vol/tuning the same (didn't re-optimize)
    for comparison at 1w input.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by grumpy; 09-05-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: cropped image to fit w/o scaling

great!
    thanks grumpy.

I am not used to WinISD pro, I mostly use WinISD 0.4 all the time because its JBL database is more consistant.
    (Anyone have driver files to share? I have some for winisd 0.4 that I will try to convert with a little script)

I will plays with that. I will try to simulate the 2251J to 251J conversion to see if simulation match reality.

Thread Information