Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just home from Canada

Talking Just home from Canada

well, with all the raving by 4645 & HJ about the control 5's , I decided to do the 17 hour odyssey to Taswassen B.C. yesterday ...(thanx again Marty) and home again at 1 AM this morning...they are a little larger than I expected ( I think thats the right model number, will have to check)...

cant bring them in the house until can locate some help, feel embarrassed that I cant carry some little tinny plastic boxes , but it will be worth the wait...

Q's ?
    1, cant figure how Ashley hangs them on the walls ?
    2. verticle or horizontal ?

the black bottoms are all thats visable....more pix to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

You are a real hunter, congratulation!

A's:
    1. Ashley has more!
    2. Are you sitting or lieing?

I'll eat my hat

If those are control 5's. Now the stood off grille and a guess at the size of the bottoms I think we are talking 250's

Congratulations on finally getting some decent speakers! Now you can put those funny looking party favor speakers out in the garage.

Widget

Very nice

You should have strapped them down across the roof like a true hunter . I am curious to see how you like them compared to the Ohm's.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Congratulations on finally getting some decent speakers! Now you can put those funny looking party favor speakers out in the garage.
    Widget
    Those funny looking party favor speakers will smoke at least half the sets mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Very nice

I am curious to see how you like them compared to the Ohm's.

Rob
    The 250ti's are very smooth...I have to do some chores in attonment for buying these and so will not be able to hook up for a couple of days.

I have a VN friend who buys JBL on CL and flips on eBay, that has allowed him to just recently build a 7,000 sqft home on big land. I've always accused him of being able to sniff out JBL's like a bloodhound. ... So I'm sitting around this morning contemplating how they are going to get from the truck to the house, and he magically appears..the 2 of us had no problems (did use a dolly)

Sent the OL over by them to show her they arent really so big, mistake....she showed me how she can hide behind them..

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I have to do some chores in attonment for buying these
    Dont we all!?

Congratulations Seawolf, they look great, I'm sure you are going to have a ball with them.

Enjoy..... Big Time!!!
    Just Play Music.

Wow, man!!
    Dig those Control-250s

How ya gonna bolt them on the wall"
    (I think Ashley uses sheet rock screws!)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

.I have to do some chores in attonment for buying these and so will not be able to hook up for a couple of days.
    Ok ... we all know that letting them sit a couple of days wasnt going to happen....as soon as she headed out to the store, they got hooked up to my demo leads on the backup BGW...they are sitting about 4 feet out from the picture window, aimed in the wrong direction , on 18 ga. wire ...not the optimal setup.

The HF sparkles , to a much higher level than the Ohms. The LF also thuinders when appropriate. Really dont see a great need for a sub. They are very fast. I put on the CD of Robert Cray's Greatest Hits, and they are about the closest thing to "live" that I've heard at home. The Ohm's do have a MUCH BIGGER sweet spot, as to be expected with a 360 radiator. Yes, the 250ti's are keepers. I did about 20 minutes of detailing and most of the blemishes are gone or hidden ...I wud say they've gone from 96 percenters to 98's .... Will not make 100 until I do some small veneer patching arounf the skirt.

I am new to bus bars , but they dont seem too difficult. May remove them and polish out any corrosion. They were set as pictured when Marty bought them and he never changed em as it sounds good "as-is" ....does this setup indicate that the original user thought that the mids were a bit too hot ?

One complaint: although they have 5 way binding posts, the wire hole is small and dont think will take 12 ga.....looks like will have to use bananas.

Oh Yeah

So is that the speaker safari over ?
    Nice work,

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    So is that the speaker safari over ?
    Nice work,
    Its been dead since I ran out of space and GW ran out of product. Gave away 3 sets of speakers today.

Dont know if the Ohm's are going to the HT or rear of room opposite the 250's where the L166's currently are. If the HT, then I've gotta sell the AR powered towers.

JBL 4645
    Tom

I thought you where packing a Sasquatch in the back of the truck? Well it’s been conformed that some lucky buggers have already found and have the poor beast in there deep freezer!

Bigfoot Body?? (Fox News)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z76h6ltDh2c

So are these the attenuators to adjust, doesn’t the JBL 250Ti have some kind of electronic crossover or is it passive behind the rear panel?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Tom

or is it passive behind the rear panel?
    yes, Ash , that what you have, the most basic, foolproof system I've ever seen..not even any pots to go bad.

JBL 4645
    yes, Ash , that what you have, the most basic, foolproof system I've ever seen..not even any pots to go bad.
    Tom

Pots all my pots are in the kitchen, they are spotless!

Nice buy on those 250Ti I envy you, what a buy. I see the wife doesn’t have any dispute. Where they heavy to lift up and place carefully in the back of the truck?

First time I saw a pair of those was at Hi-Fi store in Christchurch it’s been closed now since early 2000? The pair I saw was black this would have been around 1989 1990. The price was at least a few grand. I’m guessing you must have paid around $300 $400 for the pair?

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Very nice

You should have strapped them down across the roof like a true hunter . I am curious to see how you like them compared to the Ohm's.

Rob
    Rob, they are certainly a step up from the Ohm's....I installed them today. Being up against the wall improved the bass and being on 12 ga. fed by the 750D's 375 wpc really makes them sing. I moved the MID bar back to zero and change was noticeable. I had remarked to Marty that they were pretty neutral, not West coast or East. With mids set flat, vocals came foreward a bit and now have moved a thousand miles West.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Tom

Nice buy on those 250Ti I envy you, what a buy. I see the wife doesn’t have any dispute. Where they heavy to lift up and place carefully in the back of the truck?The price was at least a few grand. I’m guessing you must have paid around $300 $400 for the pair?
    The wife was excellent....At first the reaction was " More speakers ??? How many do you need? " , but she mellowed out. Up there in BC , not a peep or squeek as Marty and I sat and BS'ed about 3 hours. She was perfect.

The tech sheet says they are 135 pounds, tho feel lighter.

At $300/$400 a pair, I would take a dozen for starters, then return for more. L65's are going for $1,200 and these may be a tad better.

My extensive measurements were spot on. They slipped right into their intended locations, and I gained a little room as the Ohm's are 18D and the 250's are 14D ..... Happy Camper.

Thread Information