Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone ever get a everest horn clone or mold

THEJBLKID

Did anyone ever get a everest horn clone or mold

hey guys havent been on the site for a while been busy as heck but im still havent got those everest built yet .but im still looking for parts i need a horns i got some tweeters and i got some woofers finding the horn is like a needle in a hay stack . i was even thinking about a wooden horn that would look really cool too. i found a company that make a horn sorta like it but it not the same it www.wrightsound.com/a.vari.q.html that the link to it if you wanna check it let me if you guys got anything thanks for the birthday wishes i wish you guys the best rob

The option of a 2" horn is interesting... appears their spec sheet links are
    not active...

THEJBLKID

thanks grump

i notice that to i think can access it directly what do you think about it so far you think i might be able to use it

THEJBLKID

what do you guys think about a wooden horn for the everest

how hard to think it would be to get wooden horn made of the old everest horn any feed back would be great

I found a 4660A on CraigsList. It has a horn that is the same as the Everest with a 2426H driver and a 2226H 15" woofer.

They were used in Churches and auditoriums all over the place. If you are patient they turn up.
    The horns are perfect in my system in place of 2344's as my speakers are too close to the outer walls. The controlled dispersion is a thing of beauty.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Would not in-toeing the 2344 produce a similar asymmetrical soundfield phenomenon?

No, there is way too much dispersion (100 deg).

The room is 18' across and I have the two Everest horns on each side wall and a 2344/2426H between 2-12" drivers as a center channel with a 7.1 surround HT system. The sound stage is nice. With the 2344's on the side there was too much interaction with the walls.

Link to 4660 pdf;

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4660.pdf
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Geddes recommends toeing-in 45° to simulate the controlled-directivity sweet spot expansion effect.

Extreme, but it sorta works.

He also suggests that the first reflection coming from the opposite wall cleans up the soundfield.

Nobody in the room listens on-axis; constant directivity is essential.

[See the Summa white paper on his website.... ]

I get the whole front of the room as a sweet spot.
    You get controlled sound from all of the horns as you move from side to side. If you are 5' back or so the center follows you. It's weird.

I sit 20' from the front wall and have surround speakers on either side of me (12" and 2344/2426H) A pair of the same on the rear wall 4' behind me.

I just didn't like the 2344's coming off the walls. May be because it is brick and block and acoustically hard.

Geddes recommends toeing-in 45° to simulate the controlled-directivity sweet spot expansion effect.

Extreme, but it sorta works.
    Hello Zilch

I saw that too but I can't imagine it would work as well as the Everest horns and if it did it would be over a smaller area. I don't think you would get as much depth. Come to think of it the depth may not mater all that much.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali View Post
    I just didn't like the 2344's coming off the walls. May be because it is brick and block and acoustically hard.
    That's the deal with the toe-in. Presumably, with good constant directivity, everything reflecting off the sidewall is down at least 6 dB, and reflecting at an oblique angle....

you think i might be able to use it
    As a drop-in for the original Everest design? likely not.

As a potentially satisfying DIY effort that mimics the Everest in intent?
    I don't see why not, if you're prepared to do your own design work
    (including custom crossover).

Don... nice to see someone using these horns 2346? to good effect

You can perfect this kind of toeing in when using one half of the Paragon reflector:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...paragon&page=2
    Some sort of board will do.

You can perfect this kind of toeing in when using one half of the Paragon reflector:
    Hello Hoerninger

I don't know about that. The last thing I would want to do is bounce the output of a horn off a reflector. Using a lense on the 4344 has me wondering at times. Some of that energy has to be reflected right back into the horn. I would much rather use the horns directivity to my advantage and use toe-in or just bite the bullit and try to get a smaller version of the Everest horns like the 3100 series horns.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    As a drop-in for the original Everest design? likey not
    The only difference is the mounting flange on the exterior. The horn itself is identical. I use a 2405 next to the short horn side in the same position as on the Everest. It is mounted on a hinged baffle so that I can optimize the patterns. I use all active X-overs and adjust delays and all. I have been very satisfied with the results.

Thread Information