Thread: Yamaha PC4002M or Parasound HCA3500 for studio use?

Yamaha PC4002M or Parasound HCA3500 for studio use?

Hey,

I have a pair of JBL LSR32s I'm using as studio monitors at my studio right now, and figured this might be a good place to ask the question (esp because JBLNut was one of the biggest proponents on PC4002ms when I was researching them)-

I'm in desperate need of a power amp upgrade for these power hungry suckers, and can get ahold of these two amps for about the same price used. I want a neutral, accurate amp with plenty of power and a detailed soundstage, and am stuck deciding between the two.

-The Yamaha has more power (700w at 4 ohms vs 550w)

-The Parasound has a better damping factor (1000 vs 300?) The LSR32s are known for their quick bass rolloff, so I want an amp that's gonna deliver a nice full/tight bottom octave or two to help compensate, I don't know how much of a difference 1000 to 300 makes)

-The Parasounds have bi-amping binding posts built into them, and from what I've read on the LSR32s they benefit greatly from being bi-wired.

-Parasounds have a better slew rate (200 vs 60) and distortion specs, but I don't know how that'll translate to performance.

Any ideas/experiences/help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusRhyme View Post
    Hey,

I have a pair of JBL LSR32s I'm using as studio monitors at my studio right now, and figured this might be a good place to ask the question (esp because JBLNut was one of the biggest proponents on PC4002ms when I was researching them)-

I'm in desperate need of a power amp upgrade for these power hungry suckers, and can get ahold of these two amps for about the same price used. I want a neutral, accurate amp with plenty of power and a detailed soundstage, and am stuck deciding between the two.

-The Parasound has a better damping factor (1000 vs 300?) The LSR32s are known for their quick bass rolloff, so I want an amp that's gonna deliver a nice full/tight bottom octave or two to help compensate, I don't know how much of a difference 1000 to 300 makes)

-The Parasounds have bi-amping binding posts built into them, and from what I've read on the LSR32s they benefit greatly from being bi-wired.

-Parasounds have a better slew rate (200 vs 60) and distortion specs, but I don't know how that'll translate to performance.

Who has a PC4002M ???

I have a PC4002M, and really like it.
    But this will be difficult to find people that actually knwo these two amps.

Looking at the manuals, the yamaha looks more serious: specifications are more detailed, and you also have distortion curves and the like.

If you really want to explore the biamplification road (but with the passive network still on it is not really biamp), why not buy two amps? This should give better results than simple biwiring.

If you have the room for one (and the back to lift it), I don't think you can go wrong with the 4002. I'm down to just the smaller PC2002M now and that's also a fine choice that has plenty of power. It's also simpler and runs much cooler.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    It's also simpler and runs much cooler.
    Hi jblnut,

My 4002M runs cool all the time, exactly the same as my 2002.
    Maybe yours had a problem?
    I once had a yamaha M50 that was hot all the time, but it ran much cooler after I got it fixed.

Yep I bought a PC4002M from jblnut and gave it a 6hr test drive and I didn't think it ran very hot. If I'm not mistaken when it gets to a certain temp the fans will run and they never did kick on.
    Other than the Idiots that shipped and it ended up with the back cover dented which I managed to straighten. it I don't have any complaints.The Pics are of the damage and the other is after I got it straightened and it is still open.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusRhyme View Post
    Hey,

I don't know what your budget is but I listed a pair of mint condition Bryston 7B ST's in the general audio marketplace yesterday. Over 10 years of warranty left and they plenty of power for whatever you need. Extremely transparent amps and effortless power.

Quote Originally Posted by L100t Owner View Post
    I don't know what your budget is but I listed a pair of mint condition Bryston 7B ST's in the general audio marketplace yesterday. Over 10 years of warranty left and they plenty of power for whatever you need. Extremely transparent amps and effortless power.
    I bet those sound incredible, but at the moment the studio stretches my budget thiiiiiiiiiiiin.

I actually just snagged a local deal - $450 for a pair of PC2002Ms.

They're now biamping (not technically I guess since I'm still using the passive internal JBL x-overs) the LSR32s, and I dunno if it's that or if it's because I can get the cable runs so short with the amp behind each speaker or what, but I am entirely sold on this speaker+amp combo. I think the LSRs are still gonna need a sub, but holy hell do they sound way better with some real power behind them.

Thread Information