Thread: JBL Control 2P

JBL 4645

Thumbs up JBL Control 2P

After commenting on the JBL LS series LS40 and doing search around Google on JBL LSR series I decided what better place to go and visit than JBL professional website!

What in the blazes is this I’m looking WOW has JBL possibly done it again. I haven’t checked this out yet on Google product search for UK pricing but I can bet there going to cost a bundle.

Features :
    Studio quality transducers for accuracy, and rich bass
    response: 80 Hz - 20 kHz
    35 watt power amplifier and high sensitivity drivers produce exceptional output: 111 dB peak SPL
    Balanced XLR, ¼”, and unbalanced RCAinputs allow connection to a range of signal sources
    Stereo headphone jack allows monitoring using headphones
    Ergonomic, side-mounted volume control
    High frequency adjust control - allows the user to contour HF response to application requirements
    Magnetically-shielded transducers for use near CRT monitors and magnetically sensitive equipment
    Internal peak limiter and overload protection circuit - protects the system from damage caused by continuous over-driving
    Wall-mount capable using optional MTC-2P mounting kit
    Included snap-on pedestal to optimize listening angle
    for desktop applications

Specifications :

Transducers : LF: 135 mm (5.25 in) low frequency loudspeaker
    HF: 19 mm (.75 in) Polycarbonate dome tweeter
    Frequency Range : 80 Hz - 20 kHz
    Amplifier Power : 35 Watts
    Maximum SPL : 111 dB
    Crossover Frequency : 4.2 kHz
    Input Sensitivity : +4 dBu XLR 1/4"; 0 dBu RCA
    Signal Input Connectors (x2) : Balanced Neutrik®* Combo XLR 1/4" TRS; Unbalanced RCA
    Power Requirements : 19 VDC / 3.42 A - use only supplied power supply
    Headphone Jack : 3.5 mm (1/8")
    Dimensions : 235 x 159 x 143 mm (9.3 x 6.3 x 5.6 in)
    Net Weight : 2.6 kg (5.5 lb)

JBL 4645

JBL control 2P high resolution images

Geez man~! Enough with the little frickin' plastic speakers!!

dimensions: 9.3 x 6.3 x 5.6 in

Would you REALLY prefer to have a dozen of those little puppies nailed to the walls and ceiling instead of one really NICE pair of music speakers?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Geez man~! Enough with the little frickin' plastic speakers!!

dimensions: 9.3 x 6.3 x 5.6 in

Would you REALLY prefer to have a dozen of those little puppies nailed to the walls and ceiling instead of one really NICE pair of music speakers?
    LOL actually there screwed into the walls not nailed! LOL

Yes there’s no hiding the fact that I’m a Control Series® freak.

JBL 4645
    Hmmm, same mounting as with the JBL Control 1 silver models I have must say I like mounting its quick and versatile to fit up.

MTC-2P Mounting Kit
    The Control 2P Master Speaker and Extension Speaker can be wall-mounted uisng the optional MTC-2P mounting kit.

All of the above is true, but the control series is mainly for very light monitoring as opposed to true accuracy. This series of speakers dates back to the 80's with a Far East sourced set of cabinets and drivers. There is little damping material in the small cabinet and the woofer cannot be expected to put out much below 100 hz.

Notice there is no +/- x.xx db to the freq. response of 80-20Khz nor is there any response graph. System will be very dependent on the surroundings.

I'm sure there has been evolutionary improvement - but small and plasticky usually spells trouble or severe limitations.

My 0.02.

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

these babies are a living legend, an industrial design icone.

buy them!

buy a whole bunch!

buy a bunch of nails and cover the walls!

add your sub and blast off sky high -where clouds and silver vultures fligh.

cute speakers. make me feel good.

mikey

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    these babies are a living legend, an industrial design icone.

buy them!

buy a whole bunch!

buy a bunch of nails and cover the walls!

add your sub and blast off sky high -where clouds and silver vultures fligh.

cute speakers. make me feel good.

mikey
    Agree they are iconic been around for over 20 years, I mean the Control 1.

I don’t there available in the UK yet because there not showing up on Google Product search? Until I see a few UK low price vales then I’ll make a decision.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    All of the above is true, but the control series is mainly for very light monitoring as opposed to true accuracy. This series of speakers dates back to the 80's with a Far East sourced set of cabinets and drivers. There is little damping material in the small cabinet and the woofer cannot be expected to put out much below 100 hz.

Notice there is no +/- x.xx db to the freq. response of 80-20Khz nor is there any response graph. System will be very dependent on the surroundings.

I'm sure there has been evolutionary improvement - but small and plasticky usually spells trouble or severe limitations.

My 0.02.

Bart
    Yeah I’ve noticed that on peaks levels but some low end can sneak though if balanced carefully in the room with multiplies. I noticed a nice vibrating peak on BATMAN (1989) last Sunday when the bad guys are chasing batman and the sound the cars engine on the crocks car had a nice 160Hz on the surrounds vibrating peak that was buzzing the sofa.

They clam in the specifications above 111db for the pair. What frequency are they talking about?

I’m not saying I might revamp my 10 surrounds because the cost would be sky-high plus the weight issue due to the internal amplifier so I’d have to doubly insure they’re securely fixed.

Might buy a pair when readily available and see how they fair for the surround channel.

Everything has limitations or as I like to put (technical tolerances) or the human factor element where each and every one of us has as you like to put it, has ” limitations”.

What also surprises me is no phase switch on the back?

They clam in the specifications above 111db for the pair. What frequency are they talking about?
    its the "give me all you got" frequency, the best-of. depends on the airpressure i believe. and if these speakers do 111db @ best of, i be best off!

the original was called ctrl one E, was it? they have woofersurrounds made out of gum or something! not rotting at all (i heard).

oh yeah, last year i made this, to show people about industrial design in nature!
    to show them...

mikey

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    its the "give me all you got" frequency, the best-of. depends on the airpressure i believe. and if these speakers do 111db @ best of, i be best off!

the original was called ctrl one E, was it? they have woofersurrounds made out of gum or something! not rotting at all (i heard).

oh yeah, last year i made this, to show people about industrial design in nature!
    to show them...

mikey
    Agree and that’s not bad for small package. I seem to remember reading the early first JBL models for cinema back in the 1927 wasn’t capable of large volume peaks. JBL has come a long way since those early years over the course of near a century, with larger venues capable of earth rambling peaks today and milder ones from a small JBL Control 1.

Also the crossover must be similar to most regular JBL Control 1 because it would appear a single internal amplifier is in use and therefore a passive crossover network. I don’t find that too discouraging just puzzling. Without looking this one up, isn’t one of the smaller JBL LSR fitted with two amplifiers one for LF and the other for HF?

Thread Information