Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Loudspeakercable - help is wanted

Sorry,

Its was a link to a member selling a similar Krell amp in favour tubes;

Here is the amp in question:http://www.stereophile.com/integrate...09/index1.html

What buggs me about this cable enquiry is the amount of cable / wiring inside the loudspeaker.

As I recall the 4341 has a fixed crossover (not biampable), L pads and a wire loom.

I have messed with cables over the years and while I can say I have detected difference there is no means of say what is right/wrong.

Perhaps one point is that if you a serious about cables with a nice amp like the Krell then consider running the same wire type from the amp to the loudspeaker drivers. The likelyhood of getting a definitive improvement as opposed to be just different soundis much greater.

I did this for Porshedpm using using Cardas cables for external crossover in the images below. Cardas binding posts and spade connectors were part of the deal and an 8 pole Speakon plug.

With sounding rude if you own Krell amp then the justifucation is there for a well thought out cable system.

No I am not looking at doing another job like this. It was cost no object job at the time and was very time intensive. The results were impressive. Other members have made external crossovers and elaborate cable systems. In my own setup using Mundorf silver oil capacitors I used Cat 9 twisted pairs (C/- of Zilch) which were not expensive but took ages to make up. I liked what they did. But I used the same cables right to the drivers. This cable had a very open and refined quality using Passlabs amps as a reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I tried big-box-store audiophile cables but the sound from my JBLs turned green. I much preferred the blue sound I get from standard duplex copper cables. I've also seen a tinge of purple when I tried the Opus MM plus the room had just a nuance of a baking-with-vanilla smell. I eventually figured out that if I used 18-gauge copper on the (+) terminal and Alan Share Modena on the (-) that the sound was a nice robin's egg blue and the room smelled of Dr Pepper Jelly Bellies——and that made me very happy.

But then one of my daughters is a synesthete.

I havent been able to discribe like this since a couple nights in college...

Here is one approach...

Quoted from a review in the Absolute Sound.

"Paul Speltz’s “anti-cable” (is) constructed of 12-gauge solid-core copper wire with a very thin red coating or dielectric. According to Speltz, it’s the minimal dielectric that accounts for the amazing clarity and virtual lack of sonic signature.

Miraculously, the cost is only $80 for an 8-foot pair with spades."

Basically he is selling magnet wire... not a bad idea, I am still a skeptic, but if you want to terminate your own wire, here is the same stuff for far less...

http://www.electronicplus.com/conten...=WR&subcat=WM1

Widget

Hi everyone

Here is some pictures of my gear

JBL 4341 in perfect condition!

Audio Alchemy DTI+XDP

Power supplies PS1 + PS4

AudioQuest Gibraltar

Sony X707ES

Krell KAV400XI

Analysis Plus Silver Oval In

Last week I bought a set of Analysis Plus Silver Oval In interconnect.

With my AudioQuest Gibraltar it makes music so living and close.

I am happy and satisfied
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Svanen View Post
    I am happy and satisfied
    Can't find fault with that!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Basically he is selling magnet wire... not a bad idea, I am still a skeptic, but if you want to terminate your own wire, here is the same stuff for far less...

Widget
    This is exactly the right idea Widget. A decent sized peice of metal with minimal insulation is the best. The insulation on the cable is the only thing that can effect the "sound" coming out the end of the cable. Some people say that they can hear the difference in the metals but I cant say I have heard it. You do however notice a huge difference in a poor quality cable with a lot of capacitance in the insulation. Magnet wire should be the ultimate but it is not very practical.

Here is some pictures of my gear
    OMG!
    Are those arrows pointing in the right direction?

OMG!
    Are those arrows pointing in the right direction?
    I hope so! Analysis Plus recommend that the arrows points towards the amplifier. I must say the Silver Oval In has "done some things" especially in diskant and midrange - I feal air and heavy bass Thinking about changing the inside cabling to better. Those two cables has lifted my gear to "heaven". Happy - happy Listening to Lynard Skynard in the moment - Thanks I'm a country boy
    he is a kingGod bless America
    Thanks for reply

I hope so! Analysis Plus recommend that the arrows points towards the amplifier. I must say the Silver Oval In has "done some things" especially in diskant and midrange - I feal air and heavy bass Thinking about changing the inside cabling to better. Those two cables has lifted my gear to "heaven". Happy - happy Listening to Lynard Skynard in the moment - Thanks I'm a country boy
    he is a kingGod bless America
    I'm glad you're happy I'm sure Anal-Ysis knows what they're talking about. Maybe you could do a test for us and reverse the directional interconnects and let us know how it affects your air and bass?

Do you actually need hi-fidelity to listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd? :dont-know

I'm glad you're happy I'm sure Anal-Ysis knows what they're talking about. Maybe you could do a test for us and reverse the directional interconnects and let us know how it affects your air and bass?

Do you actually need hi-fidelity to listen to Lynard Skynard? :dont-know

"Thanks I'm a country boy" - wasn't that John Denver from NJ ??

Listening to Lynard Skynard in the moment ... he is a king
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    "Thanks I'm a country boy" - wasn't that John Denver from NJ ??
    No, he's the guy who thinks the Shenandoah River and Blue Ridge Mountains are in West Virginia. Here's the Lynyrd Skynyrd song link (I corrected the spelling thanks to Google):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/medi...oadLocation=CD

Do you actually need hi-fidelity to listen to Lynard Skynard? :dont-know

He - he! I like his music - one of the very best - BUT... with listening I have one favorite - Keb'Mo! Do you know him
    Thanks for your reply! I will do the test in a few month - I really think the Silver Oval In has not burn in - enough!!

I really think the Silver Oval In has not burn in - enough!!
    Maybe this will help?

Seemed to do wonders for our Blue Oval over here: http://www.motherjones.com/news/feat...9/compress.mov

Good luck!

Skynyrd?

"... the band is just fantastic, that is really what I think... "

yeah... and careful burning in the speaker cables backwards;
    you might have to start over again.

Thread Information