Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Loudspeakercable - help is wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Svanen View Post
    The Kimber 4VS makes a very big "picture", dynamic, speed and acceleration. Timbre, space, detail, intimacy..., it makes musical nuances and color with emotion, truth, and realism. In my ears (my friend who owns it agree).
    I tried big-box-store audiophile cables but the sound from my JBLs turned green. I much preferred the blue sound I get from standard duplex copper cables. I've also seen a tinge of purple when I tried the Opus MM plus the room had just a nuance of a baking-with-vanilla smell. I eventually figured out that if I used 18-gauge copper on the (+) terminal and Alan Share Modena on the (-) that the sound was a nice robin's egg blue and the room smelled of Dr Pepper Jelly Bellies——and that made me very happy.

But then one of my daughters is a synesthete.

Whatever blows your skirt up, as we say around here!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I tried big-box-store audiophile cables but the sound from my JBLs turned green. I much preferred the blue sound I get from standard duplex copper cables. I've also seen a tinge of purple when I tried the Opus MM plus the room had just a nuance of a baking-with-vanilla smell. I eventually figured out that if I used 18-gauge copper on the (+) terminal and Alan Share Modena on the (-) that the sound was a nice robin's egg blue and the room smelled of Dr Pepper Jelly Bellies——and that made me very happy.

But then one of my daughters is a synesthete.

Whatever blows your skirt up, as we say around here!

You are a VERY BAD MAN!

for a taste of synesthesia ... Alfred Bester!

gully foyle is my name
    and terra is my nation
    deep space is my dwelling place
    the stars my destination
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    for a taste of synesthesia ...
    I've lived with a synesthete for almost twenty years. Perfect pitch and artistic talent seem to go with the voice of an angel. Difficulty doing math fast seems to be the only down-side. Oh yeah, and some right-left difficulties made teaching her to drive quite interesting. Thanks, I'll file that reference away for her.

I was hoping that someone could tell me what (for them) is the best loudspeakercable to use with JBL.
    I am sorry, I can not help you. It does not depend on the label (JBL has many good products though ) but what is inside of the enclosure.

I tried to find out a dependency of what you are hearing and the corresponding technical details.

Argueing with physical facts can guide you to the moon, but closing the eyes is a way too.

cables

Hi everyone

I am the happy owner of a set JBL 4341 loudspeakers in perfect condition (original blue) .

Here is my setup:

Krell KAV400xi - Sony X707ES - Audio Alchemy DTI+XDP+PS1+PS4.
    Cables: VDH MCD501 orig. + VDH DM300MK2.

I have used a friends Cimber 4VS which I think is very good for the 4341. But he needs it now I have then used VDH Clearwater, but...it doesn't work.

Is here anyone who can me a good advice. Thanks!
    The cables are very important in you system and can make a big difference in sound quality. It depends on what kind of sound you like. If you use a solid state amplifier the monster Monster cable M series 2.2S can sound really detailed, warm, with a very good sound stage. Monster works a lot together with Krell, so maybe this is an option. I tried this cable on my 300B tube amplifier, with the Altec model 19 that was not good at all, very, warm and woolly, but the cables are sounding very, nice with the combination McIntosch MC2100/604 super duplex speaker. My friend uses the monster cables in combination with the JBL K2 S9800/MC1000 also very nice.
    Try this http://www.6moons.com/archivelibrary/writer.html
    Here you can find some interesting reviews about audio gear and cables.

Anyone with a home computer can find myriad articles on the Internet about exotic or "audiofile" audio cables, both pro and con. I hit Google and came up with this:
    http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/5/6528.html

I was particularly interested in many high-end cable claims of a "break-in" period of up to 200 hours of listening before the victim, err, customer, might be able to accurately tell of any improvement in sound quality. Here's a short quote from the above link on that topic from an electrical engineer:
    . . . the exotic cable vendor concocts marketing literature, usually in the form of a story, based on half engineering truths or misapplied engineering principles to lure you in. They often reject the proven fundamental truths that govern these principles and claim established associated theories cannot be verified through measurements or engineering certainties, but instead only through hearing. What they fail to provide however is repeatable statistical data and correlation that their cables do sound “better” for the reasons they tout. They often go one step further and claim it can take weeks for the consumer to hear the benefits of their cables since they require a break-in period. In reality cable break in is another misnomer, which I suspect is used to convince the customer to keep the cables beyond the retailers return policy. In addition, statistically, the longer the customer keeps a product the less likely they are to return it.
    The same site offers a "budget" guide to cables and interconnects here: http://www.audioholics.com/buying-gu...get-guidelines which actually refers to some science and engineering. On "sound bite" from that is:
    In fact, many of these cable companies are simply marketing Snake Oil in fancy packages, and selling them to you for outrageous prices.
    You might also find the "snake oil" link [above] interesting. As Steve Winwood said, "Do What You Like".

A new take on it !

Having done an A-B with cheap OFC cables compared to £1000 speaker cables on a $200,000 home hifi system here is my advice !

Get down to Radio Shack - spend no more than 50 cents a metre,paint the cable Red, stick some ferrite magnets on one end, not forgetting the arrows - sound don't like going the wrong way. 2 hours in the deep freeze -cryois all the rage !!!!! Take the $1000 you have left over and donate it to famine charity.

Rich

Something to think about.

We may not think about it in these terms, but Hi-Fi is a business. People make amplifiers, speakers, turntables, CD players, DACs, and on and on including speaker wire and hope to produce them and sell them at a profit. Now, what you may not know is that every manufacturer determines what their dealer pricing will be. This typically varies a bit by product type. As it turns out most brands of interconnects and speaker wire have widest margins in the business.

At discount outlets like Best Buy, they make almost all of their profit on extended warranties and accessories like interconnects and speaker wire. At the high end stores, while they are more likely to get a decent margin on the actual gear they sell, the very high profit margin on the exotic cables makes them a very popular item to offer.

Widget

I was in Saigon last year browsing audio street and buying connectors and such....most were unbranded or in Chinese, but some were "Monster" brand.

I put the monsters side by side with the Chinese named ones and they were dead on identical, exact.
    Xcept the Monster one were at least 3X the price of the "no name" items. Guess which ones I bought ?

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    here is my advice !

Get down to Radio Shack - spend no more than 50 cents a metre,paint the cable Red, stick some ferrite magnets on one end, not forgetting the arrows - sound don't like going the wrong way. 2 hours in the deep freeze -cryois all the rage !!!!! Take the $1000 you have left over and donate it to famine charity.

Rich
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Quote from Harman Japans:
    Durable Jacket with Vibration Suppression Slits
    That's what I need. I've always had problems with my speaker wiring vibrating. I guess the Japanese economy isn't quite as bad as ours, or maybe their rich just keep getting richer, too? Do they have JBL underwear to go with those "jackets"?

Wink

Could be JBL assumes you string the speaker cable in front of the speakers. With all the air being moved by the woofer maybe they are concerned about the speaker wire vibrating. The slits let the air go through without the wire moving.

Think this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Fi1VcbpAI

had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Hi everyone

First of all - thanks for all the answers

I ended up with AudioQuest Gibraltar (paid 170 EURO). After to weeks burn in the sound changed I have just one word for it - MAGIC

AudioQuest Gibraltar works great with JBL 4341

Hi everyone

First of all - thanks for all the answers

I ended up with AudioQuest Gibraltar (paid 170 EURO). After to weeks burn in the sound changed I have just one word for it - MAGIC

AudioQuest Gibraltar works great with JBL 4341
    VERY neat! As another 4341 owner, please, post some pictures of your system!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The common denominater around here is go with what JBL recommends. 16 guage zip cord. Seriously most of us here are more concerned about the cables causing an undo amount of compacitance/resistance and keeping the connections clean. Other than that the majority of us here would rather spend the money elsewhere. As you get higher in the food chain "money wise" it seems folks will hear the difference when spending the money. Just my knee jerk conclusion.

Thread Information