Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Organists

Since synths seem to be part and parcel of this thread, I put forth Vince Clarke of Erasure. You should see the dedicated building in his yard full of gear. It is round and very fully packed. Everything appears to be working and patched up. Even the building is fascinating. It can be viewed in their Albert Hall DVD extras.

Vince can also be heard in early Depeche Mode (he was a founding member) and of course in Yazoo with Alison Moyet.

I am personally quite taken with the Novachord Restoration Project CD, Music Of The Electron. Played by Phil Cirocco, it is not programmed like so much synth music but rather played live on the fantastic polyphonic, all tube instrument. His style is completely suited to the Novachord. Available on the Cd Baby web site.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Originally posted by Ducatista47
    Thanks! Wasn't it van Leer who did those unforgettable vocals? I'll have to dig out my vinyl of Hamburger Concerto.
    It's got to be Van Leer. He is the only one given credit for vocals on my Focus CD.

Originally posted by Ducatista47
    You are bringing me back to my Hippie days. Do you remember the outfit Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity?
    The first I heard of Brian Auger was the original Oblivion Express which I just got my third or fourth version of on one of those goody good good Japanese remasters. I discovered the really early stuff later on scanning amazon.com. A lot of good stuff never showed up in stores, but the internet makes it a lot easier to know what's around.

http://www.amazon.com/Encore-Brian-A...082307&sr=1-11

Check this out -- Brian Auger & Julie Tippetts made in 2007. I started thinking about this stuff and the next thing I know, I ordered another CD.

It is one another organist that taste very. Many must know it. I have innumerable records of it.
    James Benatti Lansing
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Checked out Gonzalo on amazon.com. Sure ain't smooth jazz -- that's a good thing. Very interesting!!!

A couple more...

Old album I bought many years ago was titled "Mighty High" by an organist named Milt Buckner.

One of my all time favorite kick ass tunes is "The Turnaround" by Big John Patton on his album "Let 'em Roll" - W/Grant Green on guitar - it rocks!

John Novello keyboard player for "Niacin" (vitamin B-3, get it? )old school rock organ playing with a modern bent. The bass player, Bill Sheehan is an old friend of mine, but I still like the band!! Just kidding Bill..!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnvbCMzFQRI

This is best organ-grinder I have ever heard! Made a pretty good dad, too.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Hey, All,

This is, mainly, to Scotty. Lad, I'm really tickled that your Dad was an organist, and that you still have that old newspaper clipping about him playing at that event! VERY cool, and very important to keep that old stuff. It is our past that defines our present and our future, depending on how we use the past to our advantage. In my humble opinion, you're going about it in the absolutely perfect manner!! Keep it up, my Friend, and keep that link to your past. I do the same with my own Dad, who, despite his many faults, was a pretty good trombone player, and actually played with Stan Kenton one Summer. Your comments about your Dad, reminded me of my own. Thanks, very much! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (King 3B trombone, King M1130 Fluegabone, drums, Latin percussion, and lead vocals)
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    I didn't want to totally hijack this thread,explaining the way tones and harmonics are added and layered would take a bit...
    Well, I started this thread if I remember correctly, and I am most interested in these revelations regarding the Hammond organ and Leslie speakers. If anyone would like to get technical about the Novachord, other Hammond products, other company's organs or synths I am also on board. I prefer the sound of the tube stuff, but it is all good with me.

As long as there is still room for the inclusion of organists and their music, please hijack on!

Clark

It has just come to my attention that Richard Wright passed away today. While many may not be familiar with the name, you are probably familiar with his work.

Richard Wright was the keyboard player with Pink Floyd and recorded on the Dark Side of the Moon (as well as their other hit albums) which held the top of the charts for God knows how long.

While Richard certainly wouldn't be classified as one of the virtuoso keyboardists, virtuosity is by no means a requirement for success or appeal. (Look at Gregg Allman for proof of that )

Richard had a style and taste for music that obviously was quite different and commercially accepted in its day as it still is.

Richard was always apprehensive about his talents and this is reflected in the ramblings heard in DSOM as well as in many of the interviews he gave over the years. (Actually, this was characteristic of the Floyd in general.)

Richard was 65 and died of cancer. He will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    It has just come to my attention that Richard Wright passed away today. While many may not be familiar with the name, you are probably familiar with his work.

Richard Wright was the keyboard player with Pink Floyd and recorded on the Dark Side of the Moon (as well as their other hit albums) which held the top of the charts for God knows how long.

While Richard certainly wouldn't be classified as one of the virtuoso keyboardists, virtuosity is by no means a requirement for success or appeal. (Look at Gregg Allman for proof of that )

Richard had a style and taste for music that obviously was quite different and commercially accepted in its day as it still is.

Richard was always apprehensive about his talents and this is reflected in the ramblings heard in DSOM as well as in many of the interviews he gave over the years. (Actually, this was characteristic of the Floyd in general.)

Richard was 65 and died of cancer. He will be missed.
    Sad to hear

For anyone that is interested pick up the DVD, "Pink Floyd The making of The dark side of the moon" It was a VH1 special. For around $10-12 at walmart I think any one even slightly into Floyd will enjoy it.
    Very modest guys in the Floyd.
    Running time 84 mins and 16:9 format.

More on tone

I'm convinced Jon Lord and (remember this guy?) Goldie McJohn completely bypassed the preamp(s) to get such nasty sounds.
    http://www.goldymcjohn.com/history.html

Rumor has it that the Steppenwolf organ sound is a result of having blown up the horn driver in his leslie, Goldie simply bypassed the crossover and wired the 15" full range....I tend to believe it, because it explains the tonality and the way the higher frequencies speed up and slow down at a slower rate because they are all coming through the bass rotor. Try it..(I did,) and play a couple licks from Magic Carpet ride...you'll hear what I'm talking about....Tim

A Barbara Dennerlein Update

I have found sources in the US for Cd's.

CD Baby has five different offerings right now. They have generous two minute mp3 samples of most cuts on each CD. Me, I like all five and had better save my money. http://cdbaby.com/cd/dennerlein3

A Google search in the "Shopping" category revealed a slew of titles from various sites. http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=wf

Her MySpace site has a little listen to Tribute To Charlie. I am going to be looking for this album at a reasonable price! http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=71430717

I frankly think the title Bebab is not worth the expensive Japanese CD. I have heard it, and in my opinion the backing musicians are not in sync with her sensibilities enough to carry it off.

Clark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf4tb...related&search=
    I keep this one in my favorites....

Thread Information