Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Organists

Speaking of Hammond's birthday,

My Hammond would be close to 70 years old now. It was a Model D manufactured between 1939 and 1942.

It sounded "meaner" than any B3 and (as I recall) had less "fold over" than the B3.

I traded an M3 and a Wurlitzer electric piano for it straight across and it included a Leslie 122RV (this was in ~1969).

I later picked up a "combo pedal" with a Leslie 147RV so I could put my other keyboards though the Leslie also.

Because the 122 and 147 differ internally and the 122 cannot be driven by the combo pedal, I opened up the 122 and using the 147 as a guide, made the 122 into a 147 by removing some parts and rewiring others (one of my first electronic projects). This worked out perfectly.

When the organ was transported from Las Vegas to LA, my friend who was delivering it hit the inspection station with his van totalling the case and damaging the Leslies.

Valley Sound cut the organ down, but I retained the pedals (a heck of an amphenol connector to the console!) and they added percussion. All the internal tube electronics were removed in the interest of weight. Because of this, the tone wheels would produce sound even with the organ shut off and you could do neat effects by hitting the "start" and "run" switches slowing and speeding up the tone wheels.

The output from the tone wheels is just like a guitar pick-up and can be plugged directly into a high impedience input (guitar amp) without any electronic interface. Valley Sound simply added a 1/4" phone jack to the back. (No Jon Lord didn't need a modification to do this and there is an RCA connector above the swell pedal that also gives direct access to the tone wheels.) The Leslies were refinished in black. The cost for this was $3,000 in 1972 dollars. Insurance paid it all.

BTW, my favorite keyboard player is Keith Emerson. But in a whole 'nother vein, George Duke is really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    The German Barbara Dennerlein plays the B3 with what might pass to some as a normal mode of hand usage, but her left leg plays pedal bass with the speed of a Fender Jazz Bass player.
    Hi, Clark...

Good pick! Dennerlein is truly one of a kind.

My other favorites are gentlemen of the B3 that supported the Jerry Garcia Band, Merle Saunders, and of course Melvin Seals. Their work is pretty vast in the R&B and Rock genres - legendary players.

Yes, I work with Melvin these days, but that is luck - not merely a bias...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Moog ... thank you for playing the ball, Krunchy!
    Anytime Peter!
    Just Play Music.

Ooops, just remembered another great one....Chester Thompson from the early 70s Tower of Power......

Cheers,

David

Originally posted by doodlebug
    Ooops, just remembered another great one....Chester Thompson from the early 70s Tower of Power......
    Is this the same Chester Thompson that has been with Santana for many years. I saw Santana in concert a few times and the guy is a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha View Post
    Is this the same Chester Thompson that has been with Santana for many years. I saw Santana in concert a few times and the guy is a monster.
    One and the same.....

One of my favorite Santana cuts in the title track from Blues For Salvador. It begins suddenly because they happened to roll tape while Carlos and Chester were messing around. I recall Santana having dismissed the piece when his wife, I think, pointed out it was great. He protested they were just playing, not putting together a song. She said he'd better put it out for people to hear. I think sometimes Santana was just Carlos and Chester; certainly Santana's main musical partnership for many, many years now. Chester is great at laying back behind another musician.

Santana's earlier Gregg Rolie and Tom Coster eras were not bad either. Coster held forth on the keys during the Moonflower time period.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha View Post
    Jan Akkerman -- Guitars and Synthesizers
    Thijs Van Leer -- Keyboards: Roland JX-3P, Steinway + Bechstein piano, Fairlight, Yamaha DX-7, M.S.Q. 700digital keyboard recorder, Hammond organ, Fender Rhodes Piano, flutes & vocals

One of my favorite players is Jimmy Smith's student, Brian Auger. He has been kicking ass for 40 years now.
    Thanks! Wasn't it van Leer who did those unforgettable vocals? I'll have to dig out my vinyl of Hamburger Concerto.

You are bringing me back to my Hippie days. Do you remember the outfit Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWh6x...eature=related

Wow, this album of his sounds really nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ATR...eature=related

Another I remember very fondly, a member of a great band, the Animals, Alan Price. Here is an early lip-sync, but nice shots of AP on the Vox. Who knows what he recorded it with, I would guess a nice Hammond. Then again, it does sound pretty cheesy. The tall bass player with the beautiful Gibson f hole is Chas Chandler, later Jimi's impresario.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBGXw...eature=related

Matthew Fisher of Procol Harum electrified me with A Whiter Shade Of Pale.
    From Wiki: "With a structure reminiscent of Baroque music, realized in the contrapuntal, heavily ornamented lines assigned to Fisher's Hammond organ, Brooker's soulful vocals and Reid's mysterious lyrics, "A Whiter Shade of Pale" reached #1 on the British charts and did almost as well in the United States, reaching #5. In the years since, it has become an enduring classic, placing on several polls of the best songs ever." The mysterious lyrics seem to be about our drunken hero realizing he must make it to the public bathroom in time to relieve his bladder in a socially acceptable manner. Not very mysterious for those of us who have been through it, that is to say nearly all of us!

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Favorite Organists

Hi All,

don't forget Keith Emerson

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Hi,

Don't forget George Duke too.

James Benatti Lansing

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov...677776p60g.jpg

One of my faves is the man with the unfortunate homonym for a name, Dick Hyman. (cruel parents or just dumb? :dont-know ) His jazz, classical, ragtime, and original works have always satisfied me. He's both musician and composer, a combination that many keyboardists claim, but few have the actual credentials to prove it. He frequently used a Lowrey organ, as well as a Moog later on.

Another is Jon Lord of Deep Purple fame. He was one of the constants in the many iterations of Deep Purple, a real five-man group in the days of power trios and rock band quartets. His versatile stylings and creative talents created many memorable riffs and standards of the rock and progressive rock genre. Yep, he was a Hammond guy.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    One of my faves is the man with the unfortunate homonym for a name, Dick Hyman. (cruel parents or just dumb? :dont-know ) His jazz, classical, ragtime, and original works have always satisfied me...
    Titanium,

I have all the CD' s of the Dick Hyman of Reference Recordings. The CD "From the Age of Swing" (RR-59CD) it is my favourite to evaluate the quality of "seam" between the drivers/speakers.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov...83827wp2h6.jpg

James Benatti Lansing

Quote Originally Posted by Benatti View Post
    Titanium,

I have all the CD' s of the Dick Hyman of Reference Recordings. The CD "From the Age of Swing" (RR-59CD) it is my favourite to evaluate the quality of "seam" between the drivers/speakers.
    Yes, many of his recordings were first rate productions. They make excellent audition material.
    Out.

Late but not latest

Some organists are already mentioned:

Jon Lord.
    Although I always listen to the guitars, Deep Purple without Jon Lord on the Hammond organ is unthinkable.

Brian Auger.
    He was the first I got in mind when I started to read this thread. I know only a part of him, at least "In And Out" with Julie Driscoll and the Trinity. My absolute favorite is "Season of the witch". The interplay (?) between Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger is remarkable, although my attention is always caught by the drumming, no drum-machine - each beat is worth to listen to.

As said organ is not my favorit instrument. But I want to mention some German artists which will hardly be known to you.

Gerhard Gregor.
    He is a German organ legend although you can not find much about him in the Internet. And there is hardly any music achievable as he worked for a radio station.
    He worked in Hamburg for the NWDR (Nordwestdeutscher Rundfunk) and got a Hammond in 1948. He brought the Hammond sound to me! He played on a "Welte-Funkorgel" as well. When I think of Hammond I immadiately get in mind "Gerhard Gregor an der Hammondorgel" as he was often heard in the radio.

Franz Lambert.
    Until 1974 on Hammond, later on WERSI. Many got to know him, when he played on a huge WERSI in Fußball stadiums (no football ). Franz Lambert is a great musician.

Tribute to the unknown church organist.
    There are many fully qualified organists which are often only heard at church service, but there is more. I once bought a LP about historic organs in Rheinland (a state like Bavaria). There was recorded a choral "Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier" by Johann Sebastian Bach in the church of Füssenich by the organist Günter Eumann. It is a very intimate play with a warm and gentle bass fundament.
    The LP can not be bought anymore as I suppose, but it is archived in the Deutsches Musikarchiv:
    http://dispatch.opac.d-nb.de/DB=2.1/...L=1/SHW?FRST=2

I keep thinking about other wonderful organists I've heard recordings of. Here's one of the best Bach organists: Helmuth Rilling.

My parents had a number of recordings of his - a Bach box, engineered by Bert Whyte, I believe.

I wish I still had those mono recordings made sometime in the late 50s.

Cheers,

David

Thread Information