Thread: Jbl 4612

dancing-dave

Jbl 4612

I've seen these for sale on ebay and elsewhere from $200-$600 depending on the condition and cabinet (either vinyl covered, or veneer). From the library the freq. response is 60Hz-20kHz which seems pretty fair esp. with a subwoofer to suppliment.

Are these are any good for music? They are from the profressional line, but they appear to be made for surround theater systems and live PA monitoring. I would like to use them as home speakers for music and movies and want to know if they're worth pursuing.

Happy Easter and Passover!

RIP 2009
    I've got a pair of the Oak finish ones, (4612OK), that I primarily picked up for the 2404H horns. I haven't hooked them up yet, ('just moved to a new house), but I've also been curious how they would stack up with a sub. It'll still probably be a while before I can do this...

John

Alex Lancaster

Smile

These are "Cabaret Series", and they mean it; Short throw, wide dispersion, they work great with a sub in a small club; I got cheap a couple from eBay that I havenīt even tested, also great for a small "garden" party.

Alex.

Nice sound but limited bass.

The 2118J ( 16 ohm each ) 8" speakers have a very thin paper cone that will fold ( crease ) when overdriven. I have yet to see a used pair that were NOT damaged.period.

The later version replaced one of the 8's with a 10 but they are scarce.

Also the 2404 is not supported in the back and many I have seen have stress cracks on the (4) mounting holes.

And then there's the warping of the diaphram when they are used for screaming vocals. All it takes is a little distortion and they crack.

The diaphram used in those is the actual bullet ( 2402 ) not the slot (2405 ) that is on the normal catalog model. The high end is a little less but it's supposed to be more durable at the crossover point.

If the stamped number is 2404H-1 it's a 2402 diaphram.

And it's 100 each....

Unless you REALLY know the usage and repair history, expect to spend some $$ on repair.

JBL Dog
    The 4612 is one of the best JBL speakers for mids and highs I have ever heard. The two 2118J's and 2404H is a winning combination. Don't even think about trying to pump bass out of them. Ain't gonna happen! Drop a single 18 or a dual 15 crossed at 80hz to 120hz if you plan on using them for FOH applications in a small club.

This message comes from JBL Dog
    Last edited by JBL Dog; 04-13-2004 at 02:08 AM.

Thread Information