Thread: Heathkit AS-10

Heathkit AS-10

Does anyone know what drivers were used in the heathkit AS-10 speakers? JBL?
    I can buy a set of these for $50, but I can't take them apart first to see what's inside.

Aloha Don C
    I can't get to my files at the moment that has the info...
    From what I remember....they were the Heathkit version of the Valencia or a flavor of it. That would have one 15" 803 or 416 woofer and 811 horn and driver. If it is a 12" version....it would have the same horn and the 414 woofer...
    The drivers would have Heathkit model #'s, ie. 401-149 for the woofer instead of 803 or 416. There is a guy on ebay now selling what looks like a set of componets from a pair of the similar speakers. The link for the horns....< http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3019756130 >. I picked up several of the woofers long ago and am using one at the moment. Only the paint color is different. I also have componets for a pair of Heathkit Legato's from 1956 that I am still tempted to put together. Two 803 woofers, one 511 horn per cabinet.
    Even for the $50, it would be worth it just to grab some history....even if the cones are torn and coils fried ( heaven forbid ) at $50 it will still be a great deal as they can be redone to like new condition. The cabs as I remember run around 100 lbs each or so.

Let us know what you get.

Enjoy
    Steve

Heathkit AS-10

Well, I was pretty curious, so I went back and bought them. The good news is that they only ended up costing $25.00 The bad news is that the drivers turned out to be inexpensive looking Jensen units. The woofer is a 10 inch, with cloth surround, stamped frame, and a ferrite magnet. It's a two way design with a pair of little cone tweeters. Win some, lose some. Maybe I can get my money back selling the parts on eBay.

Thread Information