Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Marantz day on CL

Great Marantz day on CL

so I was up at 7am shingling the roof and came down about 9:30 when it started getting warm and came in to check CL .....found this half hour old ad
    __________________________________________________ ________..
    Marantz receiver and turntable
    Date: 2009-05-30

Marantz model 2385 receiver, model 6170 turntable with direct drive servo control and diamond stylus, tower speakers and Aiwa stereo cassette deck, model AD-6350. All in good condition.
    __________________________________________________ ________

figured the flippers wud be all over it and 'sides I didn't recognize the model number so went off to the call of breakfast...thot abt it all the way thru my pancakes and went back and answered after I was done ...Good Luck

started looking up the ad and figured 2385 must be an 85wpc receiver..not too bad ...then went to http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2385.html
    and said "Holy Sh1t" !!! thats a RMS Power Per Channel185x2receiver Weight57.2 lbs ....well, of all miracles, the guy returned my email and said "com on over" ....he knew nothing abt it, came from wifes 1st husband ..million dollar house on the river.

Finale: yup I got it at an incredible price, with the Marantz 6170 tt and some weird Marantz 920 speakers ..need foams of course ...but the cabs are fantastic ..even finished on the back, you connect from the underside ...flipping the tt shud pay back the entire package. (thats my green shirt reflecting on everything)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

and the speakers ..grills & cabs "like new" (yes, they are 12's) even have both "Uni-Q" plugs ...they are "Design Series 920's"

woofers are out for refoaming....cabinets are very nice , super walnut veneer. They are like an L-100 with a built-in stand.(Ed May designed drivers) I read comments on my google search with owners saying "the most beautiful veneer I've ever seen"
    http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/0920.html

Looked up the Marantz 2385 on completed auctions....4 of them ,,all went between $600-700. sucker is a beast to move around. Will have to put speakers to it soon.

Lesson is : second husband doesn't care what he gets for first husbands stereo system, long as he marries up into expensive house and mate w/money.

Nice score Seawolf!! Are the woofers cast or stamped frame? I suspect the motor structure would be very similar to JBL's of that vintage. Will you have some pics of the refoamed woofers before they're installed?

The rounded veneer reminds one of the L300's rounded edge.

That 2385 is a beast!! Second only to the 2500/2600 which have the o'scopes. Otherwise, very similar in performance, some say the 2385 sounds better.

Sounds like you made out like a bandit!!
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Nice score Seawolf!! Are the woofers cast or stamped frame? Will you have some pics of the refoamed woofers before they're installed?

The rounded veneer reminds one of the L300's rounded edge.
    all done and reinstalled...the woofers were stamped, I looked up the manf code and now cant remember the name...work fine tho.

the edges are solid wood like my 250ti's are ....these sound quite like L100's up on built-in stands, but a little smoother, wud guess better networks...the backsides are veneered too..there are wire guides and the connections are on the bottoms....no pad scratchyness, cabs are abt 99.5's ...no flaws that I can see ...grills perfect...no broken posts ..they are 3D grills that fasten at the 4 corners, but then there are rounded posts at the center sides to make them bow out a little.( can see in pic) ..the veneer is second best I've ever seen , just after the 250ti's.

Nice, hope you like them. The receiver is a monster

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    Nice, hope you like them. The receiver is a monster
    speakers are playing "Whos Next" ..very punchy and clear ...gee, i cud live with these if I didnt already have speakers everywhere.

Wow ..a crack of summer thunder..sounds like a big rifle shot !!

yes, the receiver is 19x17 and 58 pounds...just a hassle to move around.

May I ask what this collection cost you?? Sounds like you have a great system on your hands... That is the best sounding Marantz receiver of that vintage IMO.
    JBL L15
    Parting Out>>JBL Athena S99

Great score, Tom

Here's one auction. Actually this one is on the low end of the scale. I've seen them near a thousand bills.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marantz-2385_W0Q...lenotsupported

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleViking View Post
    May I ask what this collection cost you?? Sounds like you have a great system on your hands... That is the best sounding Marantz receiver of that vintage IMO.
    The 2385 is in to see the tech -all lights were out and sounded a little fuzzy- , but the speakers are outstanding...like mebbe an L100+ ..very punchy , but smoother ...oiled up cabs..WOW ...TT has new cart and is RTG ...AIWA cassette is only $25/30 to the right person , but I dont mind putting a little money into the 2385 since the whole system was $150. (highlite to view)

hence the heading "Great Marantz day on CL"

tech explained 22xx series Marantz - the xx is WPC ..the 23xx series - the 3 denotes adding one hundred, so 2285 is 85 wpc , but 2385 is 185 wpc.

>>Great score, Tom

t
    hanx Raiser, I worked for this score
    got another great one on the Horizon.

Yep... hmm, sounds like an output cap... is it in both channels? Those speakers sound "closest" to the Pioneer HPM-100's... nothing at all like JBL... funny you make that distinction... nothing sounds at all like L100's thats not in JBL's pro line... They have a unique sonic character, prob. why they are so collectible today... but those speakers are BEAUTIFUL!
    JBL L15
    Parting Out>>JBL Athena S99

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    ...the whole system was $150.
    Holy crap dude! You're my new hero - nice score in-freaking-deed!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    nice score in-freaking-deed!
    the speakers even included the Vari-Q plugs ....made even before the famous ZilchPlug ....they are/were foam cylinders about 3 in diameter that go into the port with a shaft down the center and 2 ends....ends can be rotated to compress the foam even tighter for more seal.

instructions are to use with lower powered amps.

you can see a big gray rotted mess in the ports on first pic.

got the 2385 back today...Doug cleaned all controls, refurbed relays, adjusted DC offset and idle current ..replaced all lamps...put on 4 Marantz feet (suspect they were removed to fit into cabinet) ..... first time I've seen it light up..

He is a pro , and said it is one of the most powerful , musical receivers that he'd ever worked on.

lit up:

She sure is purdy!!!

Thread Information