Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: JBL unveils new LS series Loudspeakers

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I've got a fundamental problem with multinationals on the constant hunt for sustenance level labor...

"the economic crisis will push more businesses underground to avoid taxes and unionized labor, which will increase the use of forced, cheap and child labor by cash-strapped multinational companies"

I think the time has come for a global labor union.
    I'll second that! imo, ever since the '80 election and the busting of the air traffic controlers strike, the average wage earner has seen his/her wages drop, factoring inflation.

During the last few years, you can buy coffee beans that say on the bag, fair trade, which means the farmers that produced that coffee gets a much better price for his efforts. Unfortunately, that type of thinking doesn't hold true in many industries.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Myself, I've been trying to avoid products made in third world countries whenever possible. It's not alway easy, but it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I've got a fundamental problem with multinationals on the constant hunt for sustenance level labor...

"the economic crisis will push more businesses underground to avoid taxes and unionized labor, which will increase the use of forced, cheap and child labor by cash-strapped multinational companies"

I think the time has come for a global labor union.
    Thanks to folks like Reagan, Bush and Cheney, working people have gone through a time warp back into the bad old days, lacking decent pay, decent medical care or most of the other perks the ruling class (government and corporate fat cats) take for granted. A good start would be to lean on the politicians to pass the Employee Free Choice Act. America just ain't what it used to be and Obama's trying to fix it. I wish him luck, it will be and uphill battle fighting the special interests and their millions being spent pushing lie campaigns on the public and congressional lobbying.

This thread has veered off course and deep into political territory. Since these discussions never end well we have made this area of discussion off limits.

I think it is safe to say that most people agree that the status quo isn't working, however since we have such divergent viewpoints on where we should go from here... shouting matches are inevitable.

Now closer to the original topic:

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Well if that's the case, and I don't see many other options, they'll get about as much exposure as the Performance Series did. Which will be unfortunate.

It might be that NFM might carry them, as they did have the PS a few years ago, But that's only 2 or 3 outlets, right in the middle of the country. And Tweeters is gone, they had the PS.

We already know BB/Magnolia will never carry JBL, CC gone, Frys only sells the lower ES series, most small dealers gone, except for the large cities.
    Tweeters is gone, Circuit City is gone, a local chain called The Good Guys is gone, Magnolia is just about gone... it is no wonder no one stocks this stuff... if you sell mid grade audio gear you go out of business. There only seems room for the top end and the bottom of the market.

Sure this is partly due to the shrinking middle class, but I think it is more due to this being the end of an era. The Golden Age of High Fidelity is far behind us... we are the stragglers and the hanger-oners... very few stores can stay in business just to amuse the relatively few of us who remain.

Widget

Originally posted by JBLAddict
    LS80--disappointing sound, my L5 kills these, L7 absolutely crushes them in every way

Wish I could have heard some of this stuff. Would even like to hear L5s and L7s. Truth is when listening to the Infinity Beta C360 next to the LS Center by themselves, the Infinity smokes the LS Center. When inserted into my 7.1 surround, the LS Center is unquestionably the speaker of choice particularly when using Logic 7. I think it comes down to a point 4313B has often made made that different speakers serve different purposes. I suspect that the LS 80s are not made to be used as a stereo pair, but will sound best in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

I've spent a good deal of time listening to this setup and the LS Center has only sounded bad on one thing I've played. When listening to Ella Fitzgerald, it sounded too analytical, she smoothed out real nice on the Infinity.

Originally posted by rusnzha
    When listening to Ella Fitzgerald, it sounded too analytical, she smoothed out real nice on the Infinity.
    I checked this out further. The problem was operator malfunction. I make my own versions on the computer and in the process, I introduced some kind of garbage that didn't show up on my Sony headphones. It was really interesting that it didn't show up on the Beta C-360 either, now everything sounds better on the LS Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha View Post
    Originally posted by rusnzha

I checked this out further. The problem was neither operator malfunction. I make my own versions on the computer and in the process, I inrtroduced some kind of garbage that didn't show up on my Sony headphones. It was really interesting that it didn't show up on the Beta C-360 either, but everything sounds better on the LS Center.
    The LS center is obviously then more detailed than the Infinity.
    I had the same sort of experience when I first got into DVD-A/SACD. I had bought a cheap player from Costco and it was just alright playing through my old L212 system.
    But when I bought a PS system (5 PT800) that cheap dvd-a player had to go. Picked up a Denon dvd-a/sacd player and the result was a huge improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    JBL needs to exploit what little consumer cachet they have left, while they have it. If they're not going have dealers, they may as well have JBL stores like Apple
    A JBL only store would never fly, BUT certainly Harmon International has an elite list of products that could generate enough interest to carry a store. That would be too cool!

I went with Studio Series stuff for fronts, sides and rears in a 7.1 setup, but the S-center was a problem. The lower I made it, the better I heard the rest of the system. Finding a center speaker that worked better in this setup proved to be a challenge. I wanted the Array Center, but that just wasn't gonna happen. When the LS Center came out, it seemed like a good alternative. I've had it for a long time now and it works so well in my setup that I'm done spending money on this stuff, but it would be interesting to compare it with the PC600. Some time ago, I visited a forum member with a PS stereo setup. They sounded very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha View Post
    I went with Studio Series stuff for fronts, sides and rears in a 7.1 setup, but the S-center was a problem. The lower I made it, the better I heard the rest of the system. Finding a center speaker that worked better in this setup proved to be a challenge. I wanted the Array Center, but that just wasn't gonna happen. When the LS Center came out, it seemed like a good alternative. I've had it for a long time now and it works so well in my setup that I'm done spending money on this stuff, but it would be interesting to compare it with the PC600. Some time ago, I visited a forum member with a PS stereo setup. They sounded very nice.
    I've read both good/bad a/b the LS system. When it comes to current JBL systems, the PS is at the top of the list, for the average joe. As not very many can afford the K2s, Everest II. The next step up from a PS system would be a Revel system, imho, that's how good the PS is.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    I've read both good/bad a/b the LS system. When it comes to current JBL systems, the PS is at the top of the list, for the average joe. As not very many can afford the K2s, Everest II. The next step up from a PS system would be a Revel system, imho, that's how good the PS is.

I'm trying really hard to be content with my current setup, but you guys keep insisting on making these posts, dontcha?

oh, back on topic, LS series blah blah blah
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Thread Information