Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durable black finishes for pro boxes

Durable black finishes for pro boxes

I'm looking for something to finish some pro boxes with. The finish must be durable and preferably black. Any suggestions?

Thanks, and regards,

Jakob

Hey Jakob,

Check this out http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119 . It may be a bit pricey to ship to Sweden but it's good stuff. You can get it in many colours, different viscosities (for roller or sprayer) and it's water based so cleanup is a lot easier.

Cheers,
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    I'm looking for something to finish some pro boxes with. The finish must be durable and preferably black. Any suggestions?

Thanks, and regards,

Jakob
    Floor paint is very tough and effective.

Thanks, and regards,

Jakob
    Hello Jakob,

Here is an example of one form Australia:
    http://www.xtremecoatings.com.au/speaker_boxes.htm

They use a Polyurethane/Polyurea coating. I am sure similar coatings would be available in other countries.

Best
    JA
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

RIP 2009
    The finish must be durable and preferably black.
    I agree with barkingdog's recommendation - DuraTex from Acrytech. It's the exact same stuff JBL Pro uses on their cabinets under the name DuraFlex.

Here's an example of some monitor cabinets I made and used DuraTex on: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=18577

It was very easy to apply using just a roller, ('cleans up with water), and comes out totally professional, both in looks and quality/durability. I got a gallon, and that would be enough for 8 - 10 smaller cabinets like mine.

John

I have used a product called Zolatone. The paint was used in the '50s as an automotive trunk paint on those cavernous trunks of the American cars of that era. The paint was designed for hard use and is pretty tough. They make a variety of finishes and were very popular back in the '80s for their faux granite looking paints. I used a black on black which gives you a subtle pebble texture. I had to spray it and it did take a fair amount of material. I think next time I'd give the Dura-Tex a try. I mention the Zolatone primarily as an alternative if you can't source Dura-Tex.

Widget

Thank You guys!

Yes, I really like the DuraTex look. Since Acrytec don't have a european distributor the cost to import a gallon will probably be rather high considering freight, taxes and tollcharges. I'm waiting for a reply regarding shippingcosts at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by barkingdog View Post
    Hey Jakob,

Check this out http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119 . It may be a bit pricey to ship to Sweden but it's good stuff. You can get it in many colours, different viscosities (for roller or sprayer) and it's water based so cleanup is a lot easier.

Cheers,
    James.
    I used this for a DIY pair of speakers last year. 2 coats is 100% water proof, no priming of bare wood is required. I used a textured roller and actually got good WAF from the finish as well and since is is 100% water proof, no water rings to worry about!

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    I used this for a DIY pair of speakers last year. 2 coats is 100% water proof, no priming of bare wood is required. I used a textured roller and actually got good WAF from the finish as well and since is is 100% water proof, no water rings to worry about!

Yank
    Yank, was this for a pair of domestic speakers? Pics?

I'm a bit "woodwork challenged" and need to build some large boxes and thought this sort of finish might make it easier than trying to get it all finished up perfect and glossy. There is another similar brand to the one Joe linked down here too and it comes in a couple of colours.

Forgot one question: I noticed there are two kinds of duratex: the normal and one called "high build". What kind have you used, and what's the difference? Easier to get a deep relief pattern with the high build?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by A9X View Post
    Yank, was this for a pair of domestic speakers? Pics?

I'm a bit "woodwork challenged" and need to build some large boxes and thought this sort of finish might make it easier than trying to get it all finished up perfect and glossy. There is another similar brand to the one Joe linked down here too and it comes in a couple of colours.
    For me was a pair of DIY speakers currently in my living room.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...er_covered.jpg

Tough to tell from the pic but I rolled the finish and used a "regular" foam roller on the front baffle and a pop-corn ceiling roller for the top and sides. Water cleanup (barely) and the fumes are really non-existent.

I used the normal Duratex and as I stated, 2 coats and it is water proof!

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Forgot one question: I noticed there are two kinds of duratex: the normal and one called "high build". What kind have you used, and what's the difference? Easier to get a deep relief pattern with the high build?

Thanks!
    If you call the 1-800 number on the website they answer promptly (at least when I called them they did) and can answer all the questions. Also if you go to the URL I included and scroll down, the JBL DIY speaker on the top left was manufactured by a forum member and that is where I got the idea of Duratex from.

Yank

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    For me was a pair of DIY speakers currently in my living room.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...er_covered.jpg

Tough to tell from the pic but I rolled the finish and used a "regular" foam roller on the front baffle and a pop-corn ceiling roller for the top and sides. Water cleanup (barely) and the fumes are really non-existent.

I used the normal Duratex and as I stated, 2 coats and it is water proof!

Yank
    They look good. This may well be the path for me to take as I can actually do it.

They look nice. Remind's me of the finish on the Urie's.

Rob

RIP 2009

Thanks!
    I used the normal myself.

John

Thread Information