Thread: The 4345 2010

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The 4345 2010

Funny title for a Thread ..Probably how long it will take to complete!

Read On

After what, about 4 years of enjoyment I have decided its time to give the O'l 4345 a make over.

Background:
    Following numerous ideas of modifications, new baffle arrangements and updated crossovers I decide it made more sense to offer the key drivers to a caring 4345 member and then re organise the system to my own recipe. The idea of using a larger horn and driver with lower end bandwidth did not seem to want to work as well as the stock system

The 2245H stays, the 2122H goes as does the horn and slot.

Why do it? I think much of today's digital hi resolution music calls for a system with a lot more detail and better imaging. The 4345 goes loud and is dynamic but lacks the accuracy and resolution compared to todays contemorary systems.

Some people may still wish to use a Tad driver on the original exponential horn but I think the horn is also a major limiting factor.

Driver Choice:
    There are still benefits of having a strong extended LF woofer to provide a 32 hertz low end bandwith. You really cannot do that properly with a hi sensitivity 2 way system .

The plan is to run a suitable 12 or 15 inch mid/bass driver down to around 80 hertz and run that up to 900-1200 hertz. Possibly a GPA 12-15 inch mid/ woofer or an AES 15M with low distortion motor. Both have excellent mid/bass characteristics and crossover flexibility to the horn.

While I like the bass mid transition of the stock system I think this will work better as will the 12-15 inch transition to the larger horn.

System benefits:

This system should sound more open, image properly, have better tonal character and have blazing resolution. Of course the bass we have all grown to love will still be there. In a sense the system is an augmented 2 way. The true mid / bass driver and the horn will cover 7 octaves and the full vocal range while the 2245 will support the bass & deep lows and a ribbon will provide ambience above 14000 hertz. By carefully setting up the mid/bass and the horn the system will project a very coherent sound.

Moving the crossover points around makes the 2245 more of a true sub and the 12-15 driver more of a true mid bass. The same applies to the horn.

Horns:
    I would like to use one of these horn.

http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/H...FL/A480FL.html

or

http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/Horn/A1K/A1K.html

Driver for the horn will be a Tad 2001 or a Neo Eightensound driver.

Above the horn I plan to try a small Ribbon super tweeter.

Its still a 4 way with many of the hallmarks of the original stock system.

I think when it is done it will be perhaps be more beautiful than the stock system with some resemblence to a Westlake set-up

Below are some images of the horns and response curves.

They are quite smooth without any equalisation and have good controlled coverage.

The plan is to make these smaller horns as a step up to the larger horn for my other Tad Fat Boy project.

The system will be biamped with provision for triamping.

I dont think it will be that expensive to update and drivers will be purchase as I progress.

What have I done with the old parts?

Some have been ear marked for a caring 4345 owner.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thread Information