Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bryston 10B L-R and JBL 4350 translation

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Bryston is Canadian, the usa contact is just that a contact. All the good stuff happens in Peterborough.

They did a extensive rebuild on my pair of 19 year+ 4B's under warranty. And they even picked up the return shipping
    Bryston,s 20 year warranty is incredible.

Service and tech support are 1st Class. Call Bryston you talk to PEOPLE, NOT an AUTOMATED Answering Menu. And they WILL give you EXEMPLARY SERVICE.

Bryston is the BEST at warranty, service, tech support, and custom solutions.

scottyj

I sent an email to bryston,canada at [email protected] last night about changing the crossover point from 150Hz to 250Hz and doing away with the +12db@ 22.5Hz boost and it looks like so far it is getting farther than the last email I sent to Bryston Service USA ([email protected]).
    Atleast I feel they are going to make an effort to actually see what's involved instead of coming across as not interested and short in their response at [email protected] .
    Today's response is below,and still never heard anything back from James Tanner yet.
    I really don't want to have to take off work to come home and call but maybe that's what it is going to take before this is a done deal.
    There are alot of people saying that Bryston is second to none dealing with customers but So far this hasn't been the best of experiences.

I'll see where the last email to them goes and go from there.
    Has anyone had any first hand experience with the Pass Labs crossover?? How's Pass Labs customer service?? To everyone chiming in with advise ect. I appreciate it more than you know. The knowledge and advise you all give is priceless to me.

Hi Pete;

I am checking with the technician responsible for crossovers and will advise you on whether what you need can be done or not, and what would be involved. I hope to have an answer later today.

Thanks,

Mike Pickett
    Service Manager
    Bryston Ltd.
    Tel. (705) 742-5325
    Fax. (705) 742-0882
    E-mail - [email protected]
    URL - http://www.bryston.ca/

Pete...

That looks pretty promising to me. I think you'll get a reasonable quote back and be able to forge ahead.

FWIW, my 10B L-R custom jobby just returned yesterday and boy is it nice to have it back! The "interim alternative" was nice, but nothing like this. It sounds phenomenal.

I trialed it first with "Old McDonald had a farm...", 'cause it lives in the CD player (granddad, ya know... )((I guess I really SHOULD post that in the "What's Playing Now" thread... )) , but the sound begged for some Patricia Barber, and I actually had to sit my ass down and enjoy the first home listening session in many, many months. It was G-R-E-A-T.

Now, off to another weekend of gigs and festivals...

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    I trialed it first with "Old McDonald had a farm...", 'cause it lives in the CD player (granddad, ya know... )((I guess I really SHOULD post that in the "What's Playing Now" thread... ))

Now, off to another weekend of gigs and festivals...
    Damn... you never stop.

Hi Pete,

We always phone Mike Pickett directly and get excellent service.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Damn... you never stop.

Hi Pete,

We always phone Mike Pickett directly and get excellent service.

Widget

Thanks again for your time Widget , That's what I guess I'll have to do Monday as I didn't get any response again today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Damn... you never stop.
    Ha! These are "the good old days...".

Played a real shithole in Denver Friday, second night of two there. I missed the first (dayjob duties) and arrived to horror stories, so I went in early and tried to wrestle the system into a forgiving manner. The DSP was totally, totally screwed-up. First, subs were L/R (uh, why...?) and mains full-range (passive) two-ways. This should be easy, right? Well, if my memory serves, here's the crossover settings I encountered:

Sub
    HPF - "0" Hz, Bessel -12dB
    LPF - 78Hz, Butterworh -6dB

Mains
    HPF - 120Hz, Butterworth -12dB
    LPF - infinity, Bessel -12dB

There's tons more to this story, but that captures it pretty well...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Bryston 10B L-R

Today using Smaart I took some measurements of my 10B, just back from being modified at Bryston. The objective was to crossover at 290Hz, Linkwitz-Riley -24dB slopes.

I tested the crossover one channel at a time. Here, I show the Left channel.
    Using Smaart, I sent Pink Noise into the input and came out of each output (Low, High) back into Smaart. The results are impressive.

The cursor is a close as I could get it to the crossover point.

The two channels are IDENTICAL - when the traces from both channels are showing, you cannot see one for the other. Incredible matching of components, I'd say.

(I know the image is too wide for easy viewing, but any shrinkage degrades definition.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Bo,

Please followup when you have it all set -up.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hi Bo,

Please followup when you have it all set -up.

Ian
    It is, as we type...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I called Bryston today and talked to Mike Pickett which is as I understand the service manager. He said since this is a Quintessence 10B L-R (whatever that means) , it could be as he said hard wired or who knows since it is a special build.
    Mike wanted me to send him some pics with the top cover off so he could see the cards which I took and sent. Not only did I send a couple pics attached to the email I sent a photobucket link with 22 pics.
    Here is the two pics I sent him and the link to the photobucket account if anyone is interested in taking a gander and adding your two cents.
    http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/Bryston_10B/

Show me yours, I'll show you mine...

A Question From a "Lazy Canadian"

FWIW, my 10B L-R custom jobby just returned yesterday and boy is it nice to have it back! The "interim alternative" was nice, but nothing like this. It sounds phenomenal.
    Bo, did you have them make a change in slopes? A curious 4345 owner wants to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Bo, did you have them make a change in slopes? A curious 4345 owner wants to know.
    Hi, Chas...

Yes, the first iteration followed the original 4345 set-up, with the Bryston in-place of the 5234A, and using -12dB slopes. It sounded excellent, but that 2nd order Butterworth filter has a +3dB bump at the crossover point. It turned out to be not optimum for my application.

After trialing a few settings on the Ashly XR1001, I found the Linkwitz-Riley -24dB slopes to be preferable - I know I prefer this in SR applications, but it also proved desirable for my home application. As 4313B has pointed out elsewhere, handling the crossover to the 2122H is very important to achieving proper tonality of this four-way. Too much overlap between the 2245H and the 2122H muddies the 2122H's contribution. Damned true. The 2122H handles a very tight band pass, but it is absolutely crucial in the accuracy of the 4345's reproduction.

So, the 10B LR now has Linkwitz-Riley -24dB slopes. You can see them for yourself - just iterate the dB change by octave on that Smaart plot.

Thanks Bo. You confirm my experience since I set up mine. Fourth order works great for me, too. As a side benefit, I also think the steeper L-R slope helps protect the 2122H -experience has shown (and, the JBL data sheet, too!) that they are not as robust as say, the 2123H.

I can't read the screen shot you posted with my crappy monitor!

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I can't read the screen shot you posted with my crappy monitor!
    To you, and anyone else interested send me an email to: me.

Thread Information