Thread: Narrowly Averted Disaster

Narrowly Averted Disaster

Hi Guys!

I had been looking for a set of 066 tweeters and came across a set on ebay. Well I dont really know what happened but no one won the auction as supposedly the reserve was not met. The highest bid showing was $80.00 and I had bid a bit more than that but no deal?! I had asked the seller a question prior to bidding and a few days later he told me he would sell them to me for $100.00 including shipping. This was a private deal, so you know how that can go, in any case I thought I'd take a chance and sent him the dough. This was about a week ago, the seller seemed like nice guy, good feedback. I got them today and started opening the box, it was double boxed and that was a good thing. then I opened the inner box and stared at the haggis shaped bundle that lay inside (no offense Mac). Not really knowing what to expect I slowly proceeded to open the bundle and prayed the tweeter domes would be intact. I had asked the gentleman to cut 2 strips of cardboard to go around each tweeter, the pieces I mentioned should be higher than the tweeter dome and to cap it off with another piece of cardboard to enclose the ring and tape the whole thing up. Now, I realise these instructions could be interpreted a couple of different ways and that is the whole point of this thread.

The gentleman did a very nice job in packing them so I cannot bitch about that or anything else, if anything I find fault with myself for not being more specific. The moral of this story is......be very clear about what you want, next time I'll do a mock up and send him/her a picture.....a picture is worht a thousand words as the saying goes.
    Fortunately they arrived in good shape but that little cardboard ring could have wreaked havoc on those domes.....YIKES!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Just Play Music.

JBL 4645
    Looked like a close call. They look smashing good dome tweeters good buy mate.

I would have packed each dome tweeter in its own small box with assurance that the dome won’t come into any danger if it was dropped from 4 feet. I’d surround the inner box with enough bubble wrap and then place the two single boxes into main box and pack that with enough bubble wrap to insure safe delivery.

3" wide ribbon of cardboard wrapped around to make a squat-looking
    cylinder just larger than the aluminum face circle diameter, using one
    tweeter as a form. Tape the cylinder so it will keep it's form.

Then mount the units face to face with both tweeters slipped into the
    cylinder (make sure the domes have good clearance) and tape or
    tie-wrap the two tweeters together. Has worked well for me.

Yours appear to be in very good condition.

Hi Ash how are you?!

Hi Grumpy, thats kind of what I was trying to convey, but I like your idea and details much better.
    I still need another set of 066's and will remember your words of wisdom
    Hopefully this will be usefull to someone and keep an otherwise nice set of tweeters from getting thrashed.

Yeah, that was a close call!
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information