Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Crown clean enuf for HT?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    What's wrong with a fine set of blackfaced amps?
    Not enough lights!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Not enough lights!
    I don't wanna hear the lights, I wanna hear the MUSIC!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I don't wanna hear the lights, I wanna hear the MUSIC!
    Hear , Hear !!

I gots 450 WPC and dont need no stinkin' lights !!!

Not enough lights!

( only Posers NEED lights)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by just4kinks View Post
    I would not even consider it for home theater, for the simple reason that it is fan-cooled. Fan noise really gets on my nerves when I'm trying to enjoy music / theater.

I am using some older Crown amps: D series and PS series. I'm very pleased with them.

There are lots of folks who disagree with you about that...

I respect your opinion, but it was phrased as a statement of fact.
    They can be used, only placed in adjacent room away from the home cinema and all the cables leading from amplifiers to the home cinema. Therefore no fan noise would be heard, just as if it was a cinema, all the equipment is isolated. But even if you stack amplifiers that don’t have any cooling fans, they would still produce a mild transforming humming sound, and that would drive my nuts.

New Crown heavy but not too big.

I bought the new Crown 802D - 500wts x 2 into 8 ohms. Price = 500 clams.

I have not installed it yet, but I did take the cover off to view the internals. There are 20 output transistors mounted on heat sinks, some massive caps and a huge and low profile round heavy copper coil power transformer. ...one large old-style circut board contains some typical electronics - resistors, etc.

There are no micro chips that are visible from the top.

The unit weighs 29 pounds.

Anyway, I assume this is not a G series amp.

I'll post some listening comments about its performace next week, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I bought the new Crown 802D - 500wts x 2 into 8 ohms. Price = 500 clams.
    Not this one? http://ebayitem.com/120291900154

Like everything else these days; Made in China. NTTAWWT, they do a great Olympics: Only one dead American and they made a 9-year-old sing backstage while another child lip-synced because her face was prettier than the singer's.

It's DJ amp. Are you using it for subs? Looks great. Let us know what you think.

BMWCPA:

Nooo, but I did see that ad on Fleabay and was going to bid but figured it would eventlually go for 4 - 5 hundred, so I was surprised at the final price of 2 hundred and change! Live and learn.

If you have not been fleased on FleaBay, you have not lived!

Anyway, I found many consumer reviews of this amp written by folks who use them in their HTs. The reviews have been very favorable, so I will hope for the best. No reviews I saw discussed cooling fan noise, however so I'm hoping the wind mills only kick in when the amp is driven hard.

The input connections on the Crown are causing me some pain - 3 pin mic jacks which will plug into my Onkyo using standard RCA jacks. I need to slice and solder the wires, so this will take some time.

The input connections on the Crown are causing me some pain - 3 pin mic jacks which will plug into my Onkyo using standard RCA jacks. I need to slice and solder the wires, so this will take some time.
    Does this help: http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/co...xlr-rca-1.html

Balanced:

Unbalanced:

Or something like this available at most pro-sound shops:
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2029&sku=40045

Or, if you like, a simple adapter for a couple of bucks:

http://www.geekbro.com/index.cfm/hur...rce=GoogleBase

Disco DJ man!

I'm the only one is not thrilled with 7.1 sound?
    7.1? I'm still trying to figure out 2.0.

Anything more than that is for the video folks.... >2.0 has nothing to do with the reproduction of a musical event, IMHO.

3.0 would be really nice if it was a standard in the music industry...

Initial thoughts - Crown XLS 8002D

OK, so I have had the Crown XLS 802D for a few days now. It is connected to the front channels and is being driven by an 805 Onkyo 7.1 receiver (rated at 130 watts x 7) through its front pre-amp out termninals.

I have listened to several music DVDs in 5.1, 7.1 & 2 channel stereo, movies and digital cable TV.

The two front speakers are JBL 3-way (2226h 15" woofer, 2426h, 1 inch compression driver, and 2504 slot tweeters.) My rear channels and surrounds are JBL 12" studio monitors. My center channel is an Altec 902 compression driver with two "Kliphorn" 5 inch cone drivers crossed at 800 hz.

My thoughts on the Crown amp as compared with the sound from the Onkyo integrated receiver follow:

1. The sound from the two Crown cooling fans is VERY loud. So loud, I disconnected the fans for the test. The amp, including the internal heat sink fins are running cool to the touch without forced cooling. At this point, I assume my alternatives are to (1) install a pot to regulate the factory fans, (2) install a thin quiet external fan similar to the one I am using on the receiver, (3) go without forced air cooling.

2. The Onkyo pre amp output signial is not capable of driving the 500 watt x 2 amp (8 ohm load) into clipping which is indicated on the Crown front pannel with LEDs.

3. The amp is capable of driving the speakers to very high SPLs in a moderate sized room. Again, with the pre amp cranked to the max, it is not possible to drive the amp to the point of clipping.

4. The bass is deep and convincing on every source. In this regard, I do not rate it as better than the Onkyo, however, and I am surprised at this finding since Crown amps have had a reputation for strong bass.

5. The mid and high frequency source material is where I am recognizing the most contrast compared with the integrated amp. I am able to hear material on well known DVDs, for example, that was not reproduced with the Onkyo. The headroom seems endless and the dynamics between the softest and loudest passages is impressive.

In all fairness, the test would be better after a few weeks of comparision, so I may add some additional comments latter.

Or, if you like, a simple adapter for a couple of bucks:
    http://www.geekbro.com/index.cfm/hur...rce=GoogleBase

Disco DJ man!
    Hosa GXM-133 RCA Female To XLR Male Adapter - Female-To-Male Condition: NEW MSRP: $11.00
    PRICE: $3.44

I've never heard of an RCA female or male.....they're kinda both.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

My thoughts on the Crown amp as compared with the sound from the Onkyo integrated receiver follow:

1. The sound from the two Crown cooling fans is VERY loud. So loud, I disconnected the fans for the test. The amp, including the internal heat sink fins are running cool to the touch without forced cooling. At this point, I assume my alternatives are to (1) install a pot to regulate the factory fans, (2) install a thin quiet external fan similar to the one I am using on the receiver, (3) go without forced air cooling.

2. The Onkyo pre amp output signial is not capable of driving the 500 watt x 2 amp (8 ohm load) into clipping which is indicated on the Crown front pannel with LEDs.

3. The amp is capable of driving the speakers to very high SPLs in a moderate sized room. Again, with the pre amp cranked to the max, it is not possible to drive the amp to the point of clipping.

4. The bass is deep and convincing on every source. In this regard, I do not rate it as better than the Onkyo, however, and I am surprised at this finding since Crown amps have had a reputation for strong bass.

5. The mid and high frequency source material is where I am recognizing the most contrast compared with the integrated amp. I am able to hear material on well known DVDs, for example, that was not reproduced with the Onkyo. The headroom seems endless and the dynamics between the softest and loudest passages is impressive.
    Hmm. I guess you should have bought an amp better suited to your use. I think lots of folks tried to tell you this was a commercial DJ amp designed for loud venues and not so critical sound reproduction. That being said, you're not giving it a fair shake since you're probably not giving it a hot enough signal from your HT receiver output. It's been said often on this list when folks complain about how much "louder" their Brand X is than a Crown amp with higher power rating. If you're not feeding the beast enough, you won't get maximum performance. Nearly every point in your five can be explained with the sentence: You bought a commercial amp specifically designed by Crown, built in China for, and specified for use in, "portable PA" systems. Is that what you have? And do you know you've got it hooked up right? Just for your info, none of the six systems I have running Crown amps can drive the Crown into clipping, or IOC alarm mode, at least not with my ears in the room. That's not a defect or a drawback. You're not SUPPOSED to run the thing into clipping!

I doubt you're using anywhere near the rated output of your new Crown, but it might not be the best match for your front-end and the fans want to be in another room, or closet. Cheap power is what you bought. I suspect you would have been happier with a nice used PS-400. Even re-certified by Crown it wouldn't have cost you as much.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Don't feel bad; many people have never seen one with the foreskin still on it.

???? You have never seen a Female/Female plug to patch two cords together?? It's an easy way to add an unbalanced XLR plug to an existing cable.

Rob

Thread Information