Thread: Symbiotik ??

Symbiotik ??

Hallo.
    picked up some horns and drivers today,
    Altec 511-b 811-b and a Mantaray horn, the drivers are 807-a, 808-2 and a 902-16a.
    The 807 and 808 is markt "symbiotik" what does that mean ??
    I will have a lot of fun testing and matching, any tips and ideas anyone ??!!

Lasse

Quote Originally Posted by lasse View Post
    Hallo.
    picked up some horns and drivers today,
    Altec 511-b 811-b and a Mantaray horn, the drivers are 807-a, 808-2 and a 902-16a.
    The 807 and 808 is markt "symbiotik" what does that mean ??
    I will have a lot of fun testing and matching, any tips and ideas anyone ??!!

Lasse
    Symbiotik refers to the diaphragm (the dome shaped membrane which vibrates and makes the sound) inside the driver, it means it's using a diaphragm with higher power handling than the standard one such as the 902 uses.

Hello, Lasse,

Tom is absolutely right in his comments about the Symbiotic Altec diaphragms. We used to use them in our PA system, because of their ability to handle higher amounts of power. If I recall correctly, however, they do this at the expense of some of their high end capabilities. Still, they sounded good, and lasted for a very long time, even when pushed pretty hard. If memory serves, when looking at the diaphragms you should see an aluminum cap surrounded by a reddish-looking plastic type of material. This will differ from the regular model in that that one is all aluminum, with no surrounding "Symbiotic" material ring. Have fun with your neat Altec goodies, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thanks Tom and Doc.
    Made some listning tests with the 808 and 902 in the 511b horn, the hights were better with the 902, but....liked the sound with the 808 better. Its hard to explain ....dont think its any idea to say it in swedish
    It was a simple test where i used just my ears, placed the horn on my ureis and used the dcx-xo.
    Read a thread about loading caps ,so i got curius and removed the back plate , there where no caps, just a bit of felt.
    Shall try to se what happends and how it sounds without the back plate.

Building a 260 liter cab for my 416-8a, will have the 511 on top ,with a Jbl 2402H . Will start with the Dcx 2496-xo, any tips on a "analog" xo with coils and caps ??

Lasse

My wife hate the big black Urei 813, but she thougt they lookt better with the 511 horns on top. life is funny sometimes.....

Thread Information