Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4311b for Home Theatre???

4311b for Home Theatre???

HI,

i have a trio of JBL 4311b that i've just restored and am using them as the front 3 channels of my Home Theatre - i'm not convinced that the Denon 3808ci is doing them justice and/or not sure they are really at home in a H.T.
    naturally, they sound great when listening to music DVDs, but i'm not sure they have the soundstage and response for a quality HT setup..

To confuse matters further,

I just bought a new Marantz blu-ray and will likley move the Denon3808 to another listening area and buy a Marantz reciever (i'm silly about having matching componants)

i'm wondering if the new Marantz 7007 will make em sing they should, or (since i am also in need of a set of Studio Monitors for my recording studio) - i could always put the JBLs there and get a dedicated and matched set of Home Theatre Speakers...

i know it sounds like a bunch of differrent avenues - but any thoughts as to what I should focus on?

I enjoy watching movies - i'm just not sure these JBLs are fast enough for movies.
    If i do move the JBLs - any power amp recommendations for my studio setup?
    help

Perhaps they just need more power?? What is the w/ch from your Denon?
    You can always take the preamp out feed from your receiver for your front mains,
    and run them on a dedicated poweramp ... something with more power, give them more headroom.
    Chances are, you don't need as much power for the center as you do on the L & R front mains.

So - let the receiver run your sides and center. See if that gives you the snap and response you want for movies and TV.
    What are you running for subwoofer(s)?

I have used JBL 4341s for mains for the longest time, then DCM time frames, and now Vandeersteen 2CEs ...
    The key thing is to match the sound across the front tonally ... same drivers is best.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronz28 View Post
    HI,

i have a trio of JBL 4311b that i've just restored and am using them as the front 3 channels of my Home Theatre - i'm not convinced that the Denon 3808ci is doing them justice and/or not sure they are really at home in a H.T.
    naturally, they sound great when listening to music DVDs, but i'm not sure they have the soundstage and response for a quality HT setup..

To confuse matters further,

I just bought a new Marantz blu-ray and will likley move the Denon3808 to another listening area and buy a Marantz reciever (i'm silly about having matching componants)

i'm wondering if the new Marantz 7007 will make em sing they should, or (since i am also in need of a set of Studio Monitors for my recording studio) - i could always put the JBLs there and get a dedicated and matched set of Home Theatre Speakers...

i know it sounds like a bunch of different avenues - but any thoughts as to what I should focus on?

I enjoy watching movies - i'm just not sure these JBLs are fast enough for movies.
    If i do move the JBLs - any power amp recommendations for my studio setup?
    help
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    The key thing is to match the sound across the front tonally ... same drivers is best.
    Agreed.

I've come to the conclusion that one is best with three of the same across the front. For example, if one has to run a D'Appolito configured center channel then it is probably best to use them for left and right too. That's been my experience.

Are you using a sub(s)? How large is your room? What is your point of reference? i.e. just how serious a HT are you trying to accomplish? The 4311Bs are better speakers/HT speakers than 99% of what you'd find at a Best Buy, but not better than the best that Magnolia has to offer... and certainly not as good as many of the DIY solutions many here have put together.

Yes, a high quality amp will help... I'd use a moderately priced AVR with line outs and proper power amps for the LCR speakers, I would do this whether you are using the 4311Bs or any other speaker if you want a reasonable facsimile of high performance.

Widget

Hi, thanks for the responses.
    my sub is a polk audio 8"
    nothing special but soon to be upgraded.

my theatre is about 8.5' by 20'
    its a dedicated room in my basement.

as for a good AVR, ive been running a Denon 3808ci that im not really thrilled with.
    my older denon was far nicer but it didnt pass 1080p. I think it was a 4602 or 4206 cant remember but it was heavy sucker and sounded much betteer to me.

im looking at gettin the Marantz SR7007 and put the Denon somewhere else or sell it all together.

im certainly willing to try amping the 4311s with sonething other than thr Marantz- suggestions on how much juice they should have?

As for replacing the speakers, the ones im considering are either the Sunfire Theatre stuff (ribbon drivers) or something like the B&W from Magnolia- although i wouldnt be opposed to a DIY provided i could buy something where the cabinetry was
    Finished.

cheers

Hi, thanks for the responses.
    my sub is a polk audio 8"
    nothing special but soon to be upgraded.

my theatre is about 8.5' by 20'
    its a dedicated room in my basement.

as for a good AVR, ive been running a Denon 3808ci that im not really thrilled with.
    my older denon was far nicer but it didnt pass 1080p. I think it was a 4602 or 4206 cant remember but it was heavy sucker and sounded much betteer to me.

im looking at gettin the Marantz SR7007 and put the Denon somewhere else or sell it all together.

im certainly willing to try amping the 4311s with sonething other than thr Marantz- suggestions on how much juice they should have?

As for replacing the speakers, the ones im considering are either the Sunfire Theatre stuff (ribbon drivers) or something like the B&W from Magnolia- although i wouldnt be opposed to a DIY provided i could buy something where the cabinetry was
    Finished.

cheers
    I just did a search for the Denon 3808ci and the Marantz SR7007... they are both fairly expensive. I would most certainly not buy either. A $1000 Anthem MRX 300 will sound better, and it has the Anthem Room Correction -ARC is pretty damned good. I would go with the Anthem for surround channels and a three channel amp or three mono blocks or a couple of old Adcom amps or... whatever for the front three channels. Three channels of quality amplification will go a long way... and realize, the center is actually more important than the L & R fronts in most soundtrack info.

Definitely get a better sub.

I would do the above first... the 4311B speakers are not the last word in speakers, but they are quite competent... with correct placement a bit of ARC, I think you should be pretty happy. If the sound still doesn't satisfy, then I would consider the JBL LS series or better yet the JBL Array Series loudspeakers. The new Revel Perorma3 series that will be available in Dec.-Jan. is also very, very good.

Widget

Thanks Widget - i'll be looking into the Anthem.

I did just buy a Marantz UD 7006 player - so i might wind up having to return that - i'm sorta picky about having matched components.

Thanks

Aaron

I did just buy a Marantz UD 7006 player - so i might wind up having to return that - i'm sorta picky about having matched components.
    You might be asking for advice from the wrong web-site.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    You might be asking for advice from the wrong web-site.
    So, which Home theater system are you using again BMWCCA?

is it 5.1 or 7.1?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

To consider the sound issues in this space, consider the space ...

I don't think its the Denons fault, tho it may be partly the 4311b's fault ...

Name:  photo_zps2d18d13c.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  169.0 KB

To consider the sound issues in this space, consider the space ...

I don't think its the Denons fault, tho it may be partly the 4311b's fault ...

Name:  photo_zps2d18d13c.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  169.0 KB
    could also be the Soveriegn's fault LOL - although lowering the 4311b some might help, they aren't going to get any closer to the wall, or further away from the side walls.

c- although lowering the 4311b some might help, they aren't going to get any closer to the wall, or further away from the side walls.
    Then you probably want a speaker that plays fine flat against the corners ...
    or put some tapestries against those side walls to minimize their effect!

Some room conditioning would make a good difference in such a room ...
    maybe more than just swapping electronics or speakers.

On - that receiver Mr Widget showed -
    Anthem, with the ARC system - maybe that would help!

On - that receiver Mr Widget showed -
    Anthem, with the ARC system - maybe that would help!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    the only problelm I see with that Anthem is lack of HDMI inputs - it has 4 - I have 6 things that i have connected with HDMI -

Blu-Ray, Cable, PS3, Xbox, Apple TV, and my Imac

is a switch really a good thing to put in the signal chain of a high end system?

Cheers

A

the only problelm I see with that Anthem is lack of HDMI inputs - it has 4 - I have 6 things that i have connected with HDMI -

Blu-Ray, Cable, PS3, Xbox, Apple TV, and my Imac

is a switch really a good thing to put in the signal chain of a high end system?

Cheers

A
    I looked into this question a few years ago. The answer then was, "No, not a passive one." If you get an active one, of the kind they use in stores for displays, then it will be good, but not cheap. If you want I can get you the name of the company.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thread Information