Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How loud do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    True, but my 20 year old RS meter matched my calibrated CLIO spl measurements to within reading error in the middle of it's range, i.e. 90dB.
    That's exactly what I meant, have you repeated the test at much lower or higher SPL's. That where you "...get what you pay for"

I was once on site measuring some SPL's and the client pulls out his mobile phone with an SPL feature. That little thing was reading levels to within +/-0.5dB of my Bruel & Kjaer meter which costs as much as a car.

Wink

I'd bet the times you have crept up to 107dB, there was prodigious bass information in your program... 107dB with most music is pretty darned loud. However, with some contemporary music that has extremely low frequency and prominent bass the subjective SPL will not be as high as you might expect. Even more so if you were using dB-C instead of the more typical dB-A.
    I suspect that many of the high dB levels posted here, have been measuring using "C-Weighted" dBC or "Linear" dB. The same readings in "A-Weighted" dBA would be much lower as that effectively takes the bass content out of the overall measured level. The levels for those various weighting curves can be nearly 10dB different with music on a thumpin' JBL system. It's hard to compare levels unless the weighting curve is stated.

This thread is useful.

1. It certainly has a social component, people want to talk.
    And people forget, so topics are discussed again and again.
    Do you remember

just another two way.

2. This discussion is not of the kind
    "Get it louder we'll leave the car for 145 dB".
    But you can read between the lines that modern systems have a within lying danger. It was stated before in this forum, do you remember (Drew Daniels)?

Attached Images Attached Images  

OK, here we go.

The sound party is long gone, the hangover just left.

We had average 115-118dB with peaks over 120dB and is was BLOODY loud.
    I have to say that my 4435 stayed unbelievable clean and effortless even at these levels. WOW!
    The 4 woofers where always perfectly controlled by the DIY XA160 amps.

We had a lot of fun

Usually in the 80 to 90 dB range but when I'm in the mood 95-105dBc (with instantaneous peaks a tad higher than that)does it for me.
    With 4 15" drivers pressurizing the room it is very much a physical experience when giving it some wellie.
    The JBL's stay clean as anything and you have to be careful you don't hurt yourself because they only ever sound 'bigger' not louder and hearing threshold shift is a distinct possibility that just messes up your next listening session.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    I suspect that many of the high dB levels posted here, have been measuring using "C-Weighted" dBC or "Linear" dB. The same readings in "A-Weighted" dBA would be much lower as that effectively takes the bass content out of the overall measured level. The levels for those various weighting curves can be nearly 10dB different with music on a thumpin' JBL system. It's hard to compare levels unless the weighting curve is stated.
    The average level on the Radio Shack in dbA I think its around 500Hz up to 16Khz but lets no split hairs on the true technical range 500Hz to 16Khz is good enough for me to understand.

JBL 4645
    Here are few pictures other than of famous (Empire Leicester Square), these are the (London underground tube trains) and the SPL db level needs ear plugs because how these people adapt to this ay of life I’d never know and if they dare bitched and moaned to my face turn that down, they can shut up..

The SPL db had to be set to 100db and the level varied with frequency as it was moving though the twist and turns though the labyrinth of tunnels. The air rushing around my ears with uniform coverage made me pinch my noise because of the pressure change on the ears.

Plus the rocking vibration add a bit more low end of sound pressure its kinder of unnerving not being able to see what is ahead but I have conference and faith in the subway train drivers.

Also the street level sound around Victoria train station was loud levels where near and over 100dbc dba was slightly less within 80 to 90dba range. Also don’t forget its not just man and machine there are footsteps people talking at all add up to frighteningly high SPL.

This girl here was (busking) around or near too the (Jubilee line) this where I had to make switch from tubes to connect to the Victoria line. I stopped and listened and while I heard this loud sound when going down the near 100 foot escalator I though the sound was coming from a PA horn located to the ceiling near the end of the escalator that was until I crouched down slightly and saw it was girl performing with a portable amplifier.

It was very loud if not too much top end but I guess it was needed due to the loudness of the footsteps on the hollow concrete tube passageways that reflects all-around.

The dbA was near to 100dba near!

What else is there to do London is weird place and no is going to care about questioning anyone, least of all me with my SPL db in hand while waiting for the next tube train to come along, and the loudness is loud, its not earth moving vibration its quite mild as the tubes come travel along the long pathway.

I guess if you did the couching down itching dragon technique, with your hands placed firmly on the floor you might sense vibration low end. I guess portable spectrum analyzer will show more or less what is happening and that might be my next future investment a cheap model as the costs can be quite high for some models and basic one is all I’d what for checking out the Empire.

As you can see I took this picture not shy nor embarrassed to see what the level is on the inside of the tube.

She looks hot and sexy not that I was really looking at her, but the facial expiration is concentration and she really looks like she’s engrossed into that book?

Then maybe you should think before you post.

I still don't get what you are going on about. I am certainly not ashamed of my curiousity about the relative volumes that we listen to our music.

I'd bet the times you have crept up to 107dB, there was prodigious bass information in your program... 107dB with most music is pretty darned loud. However, with some contemporary music that has extremely low frequency and prominent bass the subjective SPL will not be as high as you might expect. Even more so if you were using dB-C instead of the more typical dB-A.

Widget
    Correct no doubt. Most of the trance I listen to is heavy in the bass department, and since they're often MP3s @ 192-227 kbps (VBR), the highest frequencies are usually MIA. (But heck, I can't hear them anyway.)
    Out.

to clarify

All my measurements are C weighted. I only need them for reference around the house. I'm not setting up for a stage show or a PA system.
    Out.

...it would seem we are all listening at around 95dB. Which while certainly not "concert level", is actually fairly loud.
    95 dB, A-weighted is about where I run my shows, measured at FOH. It is certainly louder at the stacks, and, too often, louder still on stage ( ), but if I keep things to 95dB or below, I find it is plenty loud. Larger houses and outdoors I am further away and so 85-90dB or so at FOH seems fine. With line-arrays, I tend toward less, because they project so efficiently with less drop in dB.

But, sometimes it is damned quiet. I did a festival yesterday where I ran the headliner at ~90dB, max and I was only 40-ft back. The proprietor had me run the closing act at maybe 70-75dB. Could have been less, even. I had to use headphones because what I was able to hear was not representative of the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    With the meter set on "C" weighting, and in "fast" mode, the average db's were in the 84-86 range, with peaks of 94-96db's! I was surprised that it was actually that loud!
    Measurements in C are interesting, but the A-weighting emphasizes that portion of the curve where the ear is most sensitive to hearing damage/loss with sustained noise levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    All my measurements are C weighted. I only need them for reference around the house. I'm not setting up for a stage show or a PA system.
    A is all that matters in SR. I've posted before, I pay particular attention to the actual room / field response and ensure that the response curve is as flat as possible. Any emphasis in the 1.5kHz to 5.5kHz range is bad - it will aggravate listeners and make them tire of the show, sooner. And, this is the range for ringing, afterwards. In some houses, I have demphasized this range toward the end of the night. If my ears are "tiring", so are theirs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    95 dB, A-weighted is about where I run my shows, measured at FOH. It is certainly louder at the stacks, and, too often, louder still on stage ( ), but if I keep things to 95dB or below, I find it is plenty loud.
    That's a good level and a sign of an experienced mixer...???

We do monitoring of events and we find the biggest problem is the inexperienced FOH guys that reach the "limit" about half way through the show and panic because they feel they haven't any SPL left to raise things for the encore.

The best FOH guy I ever saw at work was with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. He asked what the noise limit was, then proceeded to steadily increase the SPL level until he reached the limit about half way through the set. With a good vibe set up in the audience, he then proceeded to gradually drop the SPL about 3dB over a few songs (no one noticed) to leave himself a bit of headroom for the encore.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    A is all that matters in SR. I've posted before, I pay particular attention to the actual room / field response and ensure that the response curve is as flat as possible. Any emphasis in the 1.5kHz to 5.5kHz range is bad - it will aggravate listeners and make them tire of the show, sooner. And, this is the range for ringing, afterwards. In some houses, I have demphasized this range toward the end of the night. If my ears are "tiring", so are theirs.

bop
    Are you saying that 1.5 and 5.5Khz is an annoyance to the ear though testing I would imagine? If that’s the case then I’m going to do some experiments between those two frequencies.

Here is a related challenge to the DIY in you guys. How 'bout we make our own SPL meters that hang on the wall like a digital clock? So at any point in time you can look up and see the SPL? The display could be placed anywhere and the mic (electret) hidden in the front of an armrest, chair back at shoulder level, hang from a ceiling light fixture disguised as a chain light switch.... Too ambitious?
    Just a novelty I guess. I bet those people that buy monster cable would buy one! Or those with the $99K speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    She looks hot and sexy not that I was really looking at her, but the facial expiration is concentration and she really looks like she’s engrossed into that book? [/FONT][/SIZE]

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Hehehehe dirty ole bugger aren’t I.

Thread Information