Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How loud do you like it?

I keep it moderate, since I do so much of it. 80 dBC, 85 if I'm "rocking out." 90 only if someone's here and asks for me to crank it. The SPL meter is always within reach.

By all measures and standards, concert levels are dangerous to hearing, and I had WAY too much fun at the Fillmore. My tinitus is substantially mitigated since adopting this policy....

My old (new then) 4350's with a phase 400 and 700 peaked just shy of 130dB. In a large, reflective room with the needles pegged. Just for a few seconds of course - just to see what they were capable of.
    With the subsonic filter on the bass speakers could take that power ok. Those compression drivers screeched - badly. IMO more to do with the amp than the speakers.
    I was living on a farm, nearest neighbour 500 yards away - complained.

I'm going to have to buy a meter now.
    SB

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Yes please do!
    I'd love to see the results.

Widget
    Done! Average (slow reading) show about 100db. Peak: 125db.

To loud? Yes, but that is what is "the real world" ... on a rock concert.

So dust off that Radio Shack meter, or buy one if you don't have one, and let us know how loud you listen to music when you air it out.

Widget
    Mr Widget,

For the purposes of maintaining the "Status" of the Forum's among the wider audio community it might be better if you did not speak your mind in future.

These forums, like anything else are googled so if someone posts loud tomorrow they will pull this thread ranking in order of preference.

Lets all hope you bring something new to the table next time!

Ian

c'mon, its nice to know who is in a loudness/volume race, so as to weight their comments in other threads with the appropriate gravitas, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Mr Widget,

For the purposes of maintaining the "Status" of the Forum's among the wider audio community
    it might be better if you did not speak your mind in future.

Ian
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Listen to Mr. Wonderfool! He is our guru!
    Go hide yourself for a year or two Ian, then come back and maybe there is something for you to learn. , but I don't believe so.

Mr. Widget come up with a perfectly question regarding this topic. If you think otherwise, that is your problem ... among the other problems you have. (Sorry that English not being my first language)

Mr Widget,

For the purposes of maintaining the "Status" of the Forum's among the wider audio community it might be better if you did not speak your mind in future.

These forums, like anything else are googled so if someone posts loud tomorrow they will pull this thread ranking in order of preference.

Ian

I've monitored quite a few live music events and they normally come in at around 105dBA "average" and 115dBA "maximum" when measured at the mixing desk. There are of course extremes where 5-10dB can be added to those values but that really is getting into stupid levels. C-Weighted levels are actually more accurate for relating SPL to subjective loudness and you can add about 7dB to a typical dBA value to get the dBC for bass heavy music content.

I find that trying to recreate those levels in a domestic environment are not enjoyable because you are playing against a much lower background level...no crowd noise, etc.

Even an average level of 95dBA at home is bloody loud in my experience. I typically listen at 85-90dBA average.

Also, be wary of what SPL's cheaper sound level meters register, they are generally most accurate at the middle of their dynamic range and not so great at the extremes.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Listen to Mr. Wonderfool! He is our guru!
    Go hide yourself for a year or two Ian, then come back and maybe there is something for you to learn. , but I don't believe so.

Mr. Widget come up with a perfectly question regarding this topic. If you think otherwise, that is your problem ... among the other problems you have. (Sorry that English not being my first language)
    Oh, good one Rolf. LOL does this guy ever smile, Ian, you really are senile.

Ashley -I’m not sure Rolf, but I sense something strange with Ian.
    Rolf -I’m afraid I must agree with you.
    Ashley -There isn’t a single sane person on this forum that can’t stop moaning and I see no alternative but disconnection.
    Rolf -I agree Ashley, they’ll be nothing else to do.
    Ashley-Would be a bit tricky, we would have to hack into account and cut his high almighty brain functions.
    Rolf- providing he has any of course.

I’m usually at 110dbc and around 85dba but constantly varies with film soundtracks its not always continuous.

Music CD I playback at lower db level so while I might have the fader at -20db or as it is right now tonight at -30db with “Images” by (Jean Michel Jarre) or with films I might be at -7db, or less depending on the sheer loudness of the soundtrack, if its “Underworld” (2003) it would be lesser level because that film rips my ears off!

I remember the first time I had the DIY JBL4645 and peaked a ludicrous level in the room at 126dbc with a little film called "Final Approach" (1991) liked the afterburner sound effects of the SR-71 stealth blackbird.

I monitored a nice peak level on "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" (1984) month be last while playing out a few scenes with futuristic explosions of the U.S.S. Grissom getting hit from behind and the left and right peaked while muting centre, LFE.1 surrounds and sub bass LCRS extension at around 108dbc to 110dbc for a very short brief moment, that was felt in the chest, from the JBL control 5.

As for the risk of high sound pressure levels I’m aware of the danger, and the repercussions.

Mr Widget,

Ian
    What in the world are you trying to say? While Rolf is quick to admit that English is not his native tongue he is quite able to communicate. I have no idea what you are suggesting here...

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Done! Average (slow reading) show about 100db. Peak: 125db.

To loud? Yes, but that is what is "the real world" ... on a rock concert.
    Thanks Rolf! That is exactly what I wanted to know... you are right, that is loud!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Even an average level of 95dBA at home is bloody loud in my experience. I typically listen at 85-90dBA average.
    I'd agree... though when I was younger, I really drove the system hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Also, be wary of what SPL's cheaper sound level meters register, they are generally most accurate at the middle of their dynamic range and not so great at the extremes.
    True, but my 20 year old RS meter matched my calibrated CLIO spl measurements to within reading error in the middle of it's range, i.e. 90dB.

Widget

JBL 4645
    What in the world are you trying to say? While Rolf is quick to admit that English is not his native tongue he is quite able to communicate. I have no idea what you are suggesting here...

Widget
    LOL I’d stay off the bottle for week or two Ian.

Thanks Rolf! That is exactly what I wanted to know... you are right, that is loud!

I'd agree... though when I was younger, I really drove the system hard.

True, but my 20 year old RS meter matched my calibrated CLIO spl measurements to within reading error in the middle of it's range, i.e. 90dB.

Widget
    Try Google Loud and JBL...go figure!

If that is all you have time to think about here its a crying shame.

I would expect this type of discussion in an Auto Sound Forum thread titled head bangers ..

Hell if I Google Tad or E2 my posts come up.

In the spirit of general audio discussion, I find loudness to be a relative thing. I calibrate most of my gear so that I can generally expect 85 dB at a certain volume setting.

I find that I rarely get up to that setting under normal circumstances. In the evening, I'm generally 10-15 dB below that, and sometimes it still seems too loud.

However, on Saturday or Sunday morning when I'm alone in the house, I can put on a DVD-A or SACD or some trance music off the iPod and without a second thought I've ramped up the volume to over 95 dB. Occasionally I'll break out the SPL meter for a reality check and find I'm hitting peaks of 107 dB, which results in an immediate volume reduction.

The sound coming from the Performance Series at that volume is just great, clear, open, powerful, not a hint of distortion, but I fear for my old ears. I had too many Deep Purple concerts at 120 dB+ when I was a young man.

Once I put in -30 dB ear plugs and ran the SVA set up to 118 dB running them with the Hafler SR2300 amps. My chest was vibrating to the sound waves. I pushed a little harder, but before I could get the meter adjusted one of the tweeters screamed in pain, and then it was gone. :shock: I would guess maybe 121-122 dB is what killed it. I haven't done that since.

Those tweets are hard to find.
    Out.

Hell if I Google Tad or E2 my posts come up.
    Then maybe you should think before you post.

I still don't get what you are going on about. I am certainly not ashamed of my curiousity about the relative volumes that we listen to our music.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I find that I rarely get up to that setting under normal circumstances. In the evening, I'm generally 10-15 dB below that, and sometimes it still seems too loud.

However, on Saturday or Sunday morning when I'm alone in the house, I can put on a DVD-A or SACD or some trance music off the iPod and without a second thought I've ramped up the volume to over 95 dB. Occasionally I'll break out the SPL meter for a reality check and find I'm hitting peaks of 107 dB, which results in an immediate volume reduction.
    I'd bet the times you have crept up to 107dB, there was prodigious bass information in your program... 107dB with most music is pretty darned loud. However, with some contemporary music that has extremely low frequency and prominent bass the subjective SPL will not be as high as you might expect. Even more so if you were using dB-C instead of the more typical dB-A.

Widget

Thread Information